Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: dogsandjogs, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a cortisone shot 2 days ago. No pain at all and helped the flexibility almost immediately. Next day I went for a walk/jog and maybe did too much, because the today the knee is sore again but not in the place it was sore beforehand. I have bone-on-bone, torn meniscus and a Baker's cyst. The doctor says I'm not ready for a new replacement. I will try cortisone and if it's not helping the pain they will do a "scope" (arthroscopy). Cortisone won't cure and my meniscus won't heal it due to its location. I'm taking it day by day. The original injury happened while jogging up ramps at the beach.

Comment from: Just Wondering, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

After having my knee X-Ray I see the space between the bones on my left knee is almost zero and ample space on my right knee. My left knee is very sore and painful. The doctor thinks I need a replacement joint. My insurance thinks I need cortisone shot. It seems to me that the shot will hide the pain but do nothing for the problem. I just don't understand how the shot will make the meniscus grow back...

Comment from: darlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

At age 67, having suffered many structural problems, I have had a total of five cortisone injections in the past 20 years, all with different reactions. The first injection (20 years ago), for "tennis elbow," had no effect and did not lessen pain. After two weeks, I had another injection, which worked very well, and I have not had the site injected again. The third injection I received a year ago for a badly torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. The injection was very painful, and before I left the surgeon's office, I could not use my arm. The burning pain lasted for about 24 hours, and then I had exceptional relief for about four months. At that time, I had my shoulder surgically repaired. The fourth and fifth injections were done four days ago by a plastic surgeon and hand specialist to relieve osteoarthritis pain in both thumbs. The injections were horribly painful; the left hand worse than the right. I normally have a very high tolerance for pain, but this was about the worst procedure I've ever had to endure and I nearly fainted. They gave me water, put little ice packs on the injection sites, and told me I should be fine in a few hours, with no problems at all. The pain eased a bit and I was able to drive home, but within two hours I could not use either hand without severe pain. Both hands swelled and the pain was nonstop. I wrapped my left hand in ice packs every hour throughout the day and all night. The pain was intense, and I needed to take 5 mg oxycodone every four hours. I couldn't sleep, and I had massive sweats all night. My digestion is also affected, and I vomited several times during the second night and still have lots of belching. Now, after four days, my face is still puffy and red, the sweats are continuing, and my sleep is broken. The swelling is gone from my hands, and the thumb joints are still painful but improving. The doctor wants to inject my two trigger fingers in about three weeks, but I have decided not to have more cortisone. Too much pain this time, and too many side effects. This interferes more with my life and work (a landscape contractor) than the initial sore joints did. I'm now wondering how long the sweats, broken sleep, and indigestion will last.

Comment from: Marquita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

One day after my cortisone injection into my right heel for two heel spurs, I experienced heart palpitations and a flushed face.

Comment from: Lesley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had spinal cortisone injections four days ago: L4/5, L4/5 facets, S1, Illiac joint/ligament. The day after, I suffered with a very red forehead, nose and cheeks. I saw my general practitioner who issued an antihistamine, which almost immediately reduced the redness. I am having flu-like symptoms at present and feel very low in mood. The site of the injections remains quiet sore. I still am unable to sit upright without feeling pressure on my spine. This is my fifth episode of these injections, and this is by far the worst I have ever felt following the procedure.

Comment from: SwissTech, Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I was injected with cortisone in the left thumb and wrist joint on my left hand and in the large knuckle of the second finger on my right hand yesterday. I didn't sleep well at all last night and today. Both of my hands and halfway up my forearms are blushed. The left side of my face and neck are also flushed with a noticeable elevated temperature of the skin.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee