Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Golfer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I had cortisone injections in shoulder and hip, and had a bad night with leg ache and difficulty walking to the bathroom. I got up, played golf, slowly, and by tea time felt fantastic, no aches or pains. A day later (today) I am off out to play golf.

Comment from: Rockyp, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had one cortisone injection in my knee, and one cortisone injection in my hip that I had surgery on a year ago. Yesterday I had bright red cheeks and nose. Good thing I didn't have to go anywhere.

Comment from: Sonja, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I cannot take tablets so I had two cortisone injections in three months for a recent bursitis (inflammation). The first time I could bear the pain the injection caused and it helped in reducing the inflammation pain for three weeks before it returned with a vengeance. The second time, during the procedure (under ultrasound) I felt a bit of pain along my arm and severe pain in my thumb. Less than an hour later I was in agonizing pain (flare) from the ear down to my lower back (along nerves). When my daughter called for help, my general physician ignored the call and the injecting doctor said to call back in an hour. The severe pain (writhing in agony) lasted three hours. I took two paracetamol and Osteo, used ice packs, massage and slow breathing. During the fourth hour and another 500 mg Panadol, it subsided to just bearable pain. It exhausted me but I could sleep for a couple of hours straight for the first time in months.

Comment from: cpitz14, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had a cortisone shot at 2:30 this afternoon and I am in so much pain; throbbing and aching. They placed it under a cyst on the back of my hand. I am using ice on and off. Hopefully the 'it has to hurt worse before it gets better' holds true! Not sure how I will sleep tonight and work 12 hours tomorrow!

Comment from: albaby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

My doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory medication and after two weeks I had a terrible reaction to it. A month later he gave me cortisone injections and about two weeks later my shoulder went into terrible pain that radiated down my arm and up my shoulder and across my shoulder blade. Now I have such terrible pain, I can barely use my arm due to the severe pain. My shoulder is swollen and the pain is horrible.

Comment from: Jim c, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I had a cortisone shot in right knee. Last shot I got was about three years ago. It is 10 hours since I had the shot, and now I am getting cramps in my lower leg near the shin.

Comment from: Scotty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 12

After having a cortisone shot yesterday in my right shoulder, I started having hiccups. About six hours later I noticed my heart rate had gone up to 105 beats per minute and it stayed high for about 10 hours. My heart rate is normal this morning but I am still getting the hiccups.

Comment from: Vid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a male, aged 46. Profession, mechanic. I've suffered from shoulder pain for the past 4 years. Today I received a cortisone shot in my shoulder 12 hours ago. Pain during shot was tolerable. However pain now centers on my shoulder but also radiates down my arm and up my neck; it is nearly unbearable. I can't sleep and I have a pounding headache. If there was a magic 'do over' button available I'd definitely use it on this decision. I do believe that for some, this type of treatment works well. But, for me it doesn't.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.