Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Liza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Every time I get a cortisone injection, I get a bad headache. It was for a day initially, then two days (these were injections in my back). Three months ago I had a headache for 2 days after a knee injection, and it's been five days this time. It is an intense headache, backs off with Imitrex (migraine tablets), nothing else helps. No more cortisone for me, none of the medical providers know what to do to prevent it or help.

Comment from: Christina, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder 4 days ago for bursitis. I had had one in March without any problems and had one many years ago in my elbow. The shot started really helping my symptoms today but also, I felt so nervous and irritable I could hardly stand it. I felt mad about all sorts of things and ended up going to church to straighten myself out! I will have to talk to my doctor about this because I will try to avoid any cortisone in the future.

Comment from: Gill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had a cortisone injection in my knee yesterday. The pain went immediately but l have a thumping head over my left eye. I hope it doesn't last long. My doctor didn't push this injection as l went to him after a friend said hers lasted six months. The doctor said everyone was different and it might only last 2 days. Time will tell.

Comment from: cecelia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had several cortisone injections for hip bursitis. One of the injections caused such intense pain in my hip area that I could not move, and therefore developed massive blood clots in my lungs. That pain lasted for many weeks after that injection.

Comment from: Still hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had a number of cortisone injections in my lower back and was unable to walk without a walker for 2 months. No more injections for me.

Comment from: Pegs PT, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My back cortisone injection caused pain down the front of my leg, with foot drop.

Comment from: giny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had Mohs surgery on my middle knuckle. About a month after the surgery, I was forming a hard callus at the site, so the doctor injected a cortisone injection of some sort to soften the callus. It is almost one year out from the surgery and injection and for the last several months, I have been experiencing a hard lump at the injection site next to where the surgery was, painful, and I cannot stretch my hand out completely because of it. The lump hurts when pushing on it. There is also a small scab forming where the Mohs surgery was on the knuckle. I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Emma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Several years ago, I had 2 cortisone shots in my left hip, several months apart. I remember them being pretty uncomfortable, but I had no side effects and got great pain relief. The cure was in selling my SUV with a manual transmission that I drove during rush hour. A couple thousand shifts a day week was not good. Fast forward, 14 yrs. I had one today that was extremely painful while being done. Twelve hours later, I'm totally amped up, can't sleep and in a lot more pain than I was before the shot. No nausea or rashes, I am grateful for that. Side effects are a drag. I'm crossing my fingers that pain relief will come in a few days. Drugs don't seem to fix much of anything. I generally avoid them. Best thing for my hip is bike riding. Ride more, inject less will be my theme.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.