Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Still hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had a number of cortisone injections in my lower back and was unable to walk without a walker for 2 months. No more injections for me.

Comment from: giny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had Mohs surgery on my middle knuckle. About a month after the surgery, I was forming a hard callus at the site, so the doctor injected a cortisone injection of some sort to soften the callus. It is almost one year out from the surgery and injection and for the last several months, I have been experiencing a hard lump at the injection site next to where the surgery was, painful, and I cannot stretch my hand out completely because of it. The lump hurts when pushing on it. There is also a small scab forming where the Mohs surgery was on the knuckle. I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Emma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Several years ago, I had 2 cortisone shots in my left hip, several months apart. I remember them being pretty uncomfortable, but I had no side effects and got great pain relief. The cure was in selling my SUV with a manual transmission that I drove during rush hour. A couple thousand shifts a day week was not good. Fast forward, 14 yrs. I had one today that was extremely painful while being done. Twelve hours later, I'm totally amped up, can't sleep and in a lot more pain than I was before the shot. No nausea or rashes, I am grateful for that. Side effects are a drag. I'm crossing my fingers that pain relief will come in a few days. Drugs don't seem to fix much of anything. I generally avoid them. Best thing for my hip is bike riding. Ride more, inject less will be my theme.

Comment from: Marycee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I got a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday around noon. At 4 am today I woke up with a terrible headache. I went to work, and by 11am, felt heat on face and coworkers were commenting on how red my face was. I had a very dry mouth also, drank almost a quart of water in the morning. School nurse told me to go home and call the doctor. I did and now waiting for a call back. After reading about others, I see these are rather common side effects. I will wait and see what he says.

Comment from: KAS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have had 2 cortisone injections in my right shoulder, the first helped a little for a short time. I had the second injection 6 weeks later and it helped a great deal. I am now intending to have a third injection 8 months later as the pain has become unbearable again. I found if I iced my shoulder on and off after the injection the pain wasn't too bad and there didn't seem to be any other side effects.

Comment from: A Nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a cortisone injection on 06/09/17 in my left knee. That night all I did was itch; everywhere including my eyes and under the finger nails. There was not any one place that was not itching. So far it has gone on for the last 2 days along with hardly any sleep. Never again will I do cortisone.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I received a cortisone at the base of my middle finger. Within a while it was completely numb. An hour later it was swollen and I could not bend it and I ran a fever. This lasted for the rest of the evening. I would say 6 plus hours. I also experienced a few chest pains and a headache that I still had the next day. The next morning my face was red and my eyes, mouth, nose, and ears itched. I figured it was an allergic reaction and I took a Benadryl. Then I wondered by taking it if I was voiding out the shot. Will have to see.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.