Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Martyn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had two injections of cortisone in my left thumb at 2 pm this afternoon. They hurt initially but the pain subsided. By 7 pm the pain had hit a new height and I googled post cortisone injection pain. It appears to be cortisone flare, and I have been using ice to help the pain. Thankfully it seems to be working. It would have been nice to have some information rather than having to just resort to google!

Comment from: Kimberly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have bursitis in right shoulder and arthritis in right hip. I had two cortisone injections in right shoulder two weeks ago, one in hip and shoulder a month ago, and my first one last year. I haven't had any problems with anything, the only thing I might say is my legs might be a little dry, other than that no problems. I think it's the individual because everyone is different. I do know it isn't good to get too many of them.

Comment from: tofferrr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

Ten years ago I had pinched nerve in my neck that went down my right arm. The first cortisone shot helped some so I got another one a couple of weeks later and I was relieved of pain. My neck had been good for ten years. Now this year I hurt my shoulder, got a shot two weeks ago, and I am doing much better.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I vomited one time right after my cortisone shot (1 minute) and then stopped. My pain is almost gone. I had the second shot, my last one 6 months ago on the same shoulder, and I had the same vomiting.

Comment from: barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had cortisone injection in my left shoulder yesterday. Within 15 minutes I felt somewhat confused. This lasted about an hour. I had headache in the night and hot flashes. The shot appears to have helped the shoulder pain so I hope it lasts a long time as I don't want to go through that any time soon. I get injections about every 6 months in a knee but have never had a reaction other than the initial pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have water on my knee and bad arthritis. So today my doctor froze the knee and tried to drain it but did not succeed, so he then injected me with a cortisone shot. My knee is twice as swollen and I am in extreme pain.

Comment from: Lisa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had 5 cortisone shots in the knee the past 2 or 3 years. I have noticed my face is puffy on one side and my hair looks thinner.

Comment from: Golfer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I had cortisone injections in shoulder and hip, and had a bad night with leg ache and difficulty walking to the bathroom. I got up, played golf, slowly, and by tea time felt fantastic, no aches or pains. A day later (today) I am off out to play golf.

Comment from: Rockyp, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had one cortisone injection in my knee, and one cortisone injection in my hip that I had surgery on a year ago. Yesterday I had bright red cheeks and nose. Good thing I didn't have to go anywhere.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.