Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: Al Gorithm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Today I received a cortisone injection in my left shoulder to relieve pain brought on by bicep tendonitis. I told the doctor I was also being tormented by itchy eyes and he said the cortisone would relieve those allergy symptoms. He was right. Not only is my shoulder much better, but more importantly, I have relief from the allergy symptoms I have been enduring since St. Patrick's Day. Oh what a relief it is!

Comment from: vieja, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had two cortisone injections for hip bursitis. I got instant relief but it only lasted two days. When I got the second injection it was a much stronger dose. Relief was not immediate but soon. Again it did not last but the pain came back with a vengeance. Now my pain is so severe I have to back into the car in order to get in. I am going through physiotherapy now but that does not seem to be helping either but it is still early so I will keep going and hope for the best. They have me on isometric exercises.

Comment from: Xavier969, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

My condition was severe pain in both shoulders. I was treated with cortisone injections over a period of 2 1/2 years. Each series of injections provided about 6 months of relief. It"s now been 15 months since my last injection; I have no more pain and am an active tennis player.

Comment from: mrsdragon502, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

Today I had 2 shots of cortisone in my left shoulder and 2 in my lower back on the right side. I was in a lot of pain when I went in but severe pain when I left. I am still in pain but not as bad, plus I have a really bad headache. This will be the last time I get this type a shot.

Comment from: AshleyA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had 4 to 5 steroid injections to my right hip approximately 6 months ago for presumed trochanteric bursitis. The injections were horribly painful, which the doctor said was not surprising as he suspected my bursa was acutely inflamed. The injections as well as the following 48 hours left me in considerable pain, but once the pain wore off, I was virtually pain free (despite a double tear of my labral cartilage in right hip as well) for about 6 months. I have gradually started running again, and I have a feeling it has set off the bursitis again. I am used to running about 15 miles a week, but my plan is to back off the running and stick with weights until some of the pain subsides.

Comment from: mamaflo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had my 3rd cortisone injection, first 2 no problems, now it's been 7 hours since the last injection. I have a pounding headache that ibuprofen didn't touch, and cold sweats... ugh!

Comment from: jec1981, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I have two severe rotator cuff injuries and have been told I need to have both shoulders replaced. I was advised that traditional replacement would not work for me because of my age and would have to have reverse shoulder prosthesis on both shoulder performed. I chose not to do either because I am a care giver with no support for my wife who is a quadriplegic who needs me. I have been getting injections in both shoulders for over 3 years which generally are painless and last about 4 to 6 months with good results. I will continue until I they no longer work.

Comment from: seewill, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

The knuckle on my right hand is slightly swollen from arthritis and I had injection in the smallest finger knuckle. It wasn't bad until 2:30 am, then I woke up in pain, took a couple of Vicodin, called the doctor and was prescribed lidocaine. I don"t know if I will get another one in a knuckle. The whole hand is swollen.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee