Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Marycee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I got a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday around noon. At 4 am today I woke up with a terrible headache. I went to work, and by 11am, felt heat on face and coworkers were commenting on how red my face was. I had a very dry mouth also, drank almost a quart of water in the morning. School nurse told me to go home and call the doctor. I did and now waiting for a call back. After reading about others, I see these are rather common side effects. I will wait and see what he says.

Comment from: KAS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have had 2 cortisone injections in my right shoulder, the first helped a little for a short time. I had the second injection 6 weeks later and it helped a great deal. I am now intending to have a third injection 8 months later as the pain has become unbearable again. I found if I iced my shoulder on and off after the injection the pain wasn't too bad and there didn't seem to be any other side effects.

Comment from: A Nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a cortisone injection on 06/09/17 in my left knee. That night all I did was itch; everywhere including my eyes and under the finger nails. There was not any one place that was not itching. So far it has gone on for the last 2 days along with hardly any sleep. Never again will I do cortisone.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I received a cortisone at the base of my middle finger. Within a while it was completely numb. An hour later it was swollen and I could not bend it and I ran a fever. This lasted for the rest of the evening. I would say 6 plus hours. I also experienced a few chest pains and a headache that I still had the next day. The next morning my face was red and my eyes, mouth, nose, and ears itched. I figured it was an allergic reaction and I took a Benadryl. Then I wondered by taking it if I was voiding out the shot. Will have to see.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My right knee was injected with cortisone. It was very painful. My leg was immediately stiff and it was hard walking out of the office. About 4 to 5 hours later I had extreme pain. Twenty four hours later it is very hard to walk and I still have pain. I am hoping this goes away soon as I have a trip to Europe next week and I need to be able to walk.

Comment from: Monkeyfree1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I got a cortisone shot months ago. Now I have a light color streak or missing color on the side of my knee that happened in a day months after, but it was worth it to be pain free for 3 months.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have had headache all night into the next day now. My face is hot and flushed today. This is following cortisone injections in both knees. I know in the past I have had headache following, and maybe the flushing, but had forgotten till today's being so much. I have noticed since the past winter, even before beginning injections in August, often if I have even one beer or stout my face flushes. I drink only rarely, none right now.

Comment from: AGoldman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I wonder if anyone else has experienced an increase in appetite. I get so hungry, and stay that way for a few days after cortisone injections. I have a lot of arthritis, and the only way I have found has been the shots, but I put on weight after the shots from being so hungry.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.