Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: kaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had shoulder bursitis and tendon damage. I lived with it for 25 years, my arm was numb and I was always in pain, and tense. I had cortisone injections about 5 or 6 times. It works beautifully but now I have a side effect; cataract on the eye of the same right hand side. I was also prescribed Lyrica. Again works beautifully; with the same listed side effect, cataract. So now I am taking codeine to help me sleep.

Comment from: Harmony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had one cortisone shot in my left knee that worked beautifully for about 4 months. About a year later I got another one that only lasted about 3 weeks. I got the shot in Minneapolis and both times it felt like I was getting an electric shock. I have read how people say it was painless, but both times I thought I was going to pass out from the pain and I'm a person with a pretty high tolerance for pain. I am still in pain and haven't had another shot for over 3 years, because the pain of the injection just isn't worth it.

Comment from: Caroline, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have just had my second shot of Cortizone in my left shoulder by a rheumatologist. My first shot was about four years ago. I remember first time everything was fine and I was pleased with the results, and no more pain for about a month. This was with the same doctor, second shot was yesterday, everything okay at first, and I felt much better. However, I seem to be experiencing the same after-effects as several people on here. I had an appointment with my primary doctor for a different problem, my blood pressure is usually normal, however this time it was pretty high, and the nurse asked if I was having a hot flash. My face felt hot and was very red. I am home and ready for bed at 7:30 pm. I am hoping I can sleep okay. I have a slight headache. I am thinking no more shots for me, even though my shoulder pain is gone.

Comment from: scooter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have had such pain in my legs for years and I finally found a doctor that gets down to business. I got a cortisone injection in both knees and prescription of Percocet 10 mg and I don't know how I managed before but know my quality of life is much better. I still have lots of pain but at least know I can function. And it last about 2 to 3 months. All good here. Good luck to you.

Comment from: So Cal Gardener, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had my 3rd cortisone injection for trigger thumb 48 hours ago, and am experiencing a sunburn like flare on cheeks. That night I had insomnia, took Benadryl, and slept minimally. The following day blood pressure was 158/90. Last night I took 2 Benadryl and Ambien for sleep. I slept 8 hours which was wonderful, but burning face and racing pulse is bothersome. I will not have any more cortisone, injections even though they have helped resolve rotator cuff shoulder pain. Now I am concerned about the effects of the steroid that will be used during or following total knee replacement surgery. I will call the surgeon's office and discuss options.

Comment from: rach, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I just had an injection of cortisone in my right shoulder on the 1st of July. I have a tear in my posterior labrum and unsure how I hurt it. I do feel some relief, but I still have pain in my shoulder during certain movements.

Comment from: mattz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a cortisone injection due to an injury to the ulnar nerve in my left arm. After the injection the pain in the arm was much worse for a few days before finally starting to heal.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.