Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Equines, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had several cortisone shots. The one on the back of my hand was extremely painful going in. This shot set off an inflammation or something for 6 months. I could not use my hand and I could not sleep more than a couple hours. The one in my spine felt like my whole spine was exploding! Then, for 3 days I had the worst headache. It was so bad I went to emergency room, each day, and finally a doctor. They gave me a 'blood patch' to stop the leaking spinal fluid. My headache went away immediately, thousands of dollars later! The shot in my knee made it feel like it was exploding while they were injecting it and a few minutes after. I never got relief from pain, from my cortisone shots, in the different areas of my body.

Comment from: marshmallow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am currently receiving my third and last cortisone shot in my lower back. I was operated on in May for L4 and L5 spinal stenosis. The pain was excruciating. The neural pain did not cease after the operation. The level of pain did increase. I decided to go to pain management for cortisone shots. They are not helping; I still have that rubber band feeling around my ankle and the pain that radiates from my hips and buttocks down the leg and into the calf and ankle. I go for my last shot next week, and I'm hoping that this will help. If not, then it's back to the neurosurgeon for an MRI and possibly more back surgery.

Comment from: Princess1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a cortisone injection in my wrist for tendinitis on Monday and by Tuesday had terrible nausea and headaches which turned into terrible gastric bowel problems on Wednesday. I am not sure if it is related, but can't see another reason why I've got it. The wrist after two days is now mostly pain free though I had been suffering for 7 weeks.

Comment from: marlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder about 3 weeks ago and my arm is really hurting bad. This is my second shot, and the first one really helped. I am using ice on it so I can at least sleep. I hope it will get better soon and I don't want to go back to the doctor and tell him. Perhaps I would do it again, maybe down the road. I had the shoulder operated on so maybe he can't do anything for me anymore.

Comment from: bella, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Arthritis started in my knee after bad fall. I had cortisone injection for the 1st time. It was painless but 12 hours after I got severe migraine and vomiting. Two days later I am still in pain but not quite so bad. Perhaps I need to give it time, but I am back on the painkillers. Disappointing, I thought it would act straight away.

Comment from: TO.Canuck, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had cortisone injections on both shoulders done twice, 2 years apart. I was pain free for about 18 months each time.

Comment from: Martyn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had two injections of cortisone in my left thumb at 2 pm this afternoon. They hurt initially but the pain subsided. By 7 pm the pain had hit a new height and I googled post cortisone injection pain. It appears to be cortisone flare, and I have been using ice to help the pain. Thankfully it seems to be working. It would have been nice to have some information rather than having to just resort to google!

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.