Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Char1982, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee because of arthritis. The following day I noticed I had been urinating almost every hour, I couldn't stay away from the bathroom. I started having horrific muscle cramps, unbearable, I was shoving bananas down my throat like pills, I believed my potassium had been depleted, and it did help short term. Would the cortisone injection have anything to do with this, it's the only thing I could think of, I've never had a problem with muscle cramps and am not on a diuretic!

Comment from: Linneta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I wanted to share my experience, as the online comments I have read have helped me. I got the cortisone shot as my knee was hurting more (arthritis) four years after my meniscus repair. On day 1 I had a cortisone shot in my knee at 10 in the morning. By 1:00 I was feeling not so good at work and when I came home took my blood pressure (BP), which was 160/78 (I am usually 120ish/70 with a high of 145.75; don't take medicines). My heart rate was 109 (usually 65 to 78). If I did any exercise it went much higher (181/92, heart rate 120 at the worst), so I stayed quiet, but the heart rate stayed in the high 90s and BP was high 160/80 lying down. This went on all night, so I didn't sleep too well. I'm 67 and have heart disease, so I was a little nervous how long this would last. I also had a minor amount of heart arrhythmia with these spikes.

Comment from: julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a cortisone injection into my hip yesterday. I can honestly say it wasn't painful at all. I had gas and air and a relaxing anesthetic and the whole procedure only took a few minutes. I suffer with arthritis of the hip and I felt immediate effects after. This is day 2 and I haven't felt this pain free for almost a year. I would definitely recommend it.

Comment from: sonic1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I injured my left shoulder about 2 months ago. I was aggressively mowing my front lawn which has an embankment and pulling weeds from back lawn that were getting tree size. I felt what seemed like a tear or pop from left shoulder. I let this go on for about 2 months until I was in so much agony at night especially where I was switching sleeping positions all night. My husband, sick of my groans took me to an orthopedic surgeon. They x-rayed my shoulder and found lots of inflammation. I was given a cortisone shot approximately 36 hours ago. I had no relief and a rash developed down arm. I took Benadryl for that and it disappeared. I still cannot bring my left arm to even hook my bra in the morning.

Comment from: Liza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Every time I get a cortisone injection, I get a bad headache. It was for a day initially, then two days (these were injections in my back). Three months ago I had a headache for 2 days after a knee injection, and it's been five days this time. It is an intense headache, backs off with Imitrex (migraine tablets), nothing else helps. No more cortisone for me, none of the medical providers know what to do to prevent it or help.

Comment from: marymarth5@aol.com, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

Sonic 1, I am so sorry for your pain and discomfort. I also felt severe pain in both shoulder and after going to multiple doctors I went to a chiropractor who said I have adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder). The doctor has to either dig into the affected area with his thumbs or put an interferential unit on it. So far the chiropractor is helping a little. Putting on my bra and taking a shower along with trying to sleep at night is the worse. I also went to an orthopedic doctor who gave me cortisone injections in both shoulders. I am currently in a great deal of pain because of the injections. Hope you have better luck.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.