Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: FL Boomer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had meniscus surgery on my left knee in 1997, and was doing fine until 7/15. I played water volleyball and started having knee pain again and started experiencing knee 'giving out'. I'm bone on bone with arthritis, and received cortisone injection in July. I had no side effects and am back in the water again, but have occasional twinges of pain in my knee. I would prefer not to have knee replacement, and hope that I can get by with the cortisone shots.

Comment from: Jeanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I've been having cortisone injections in both knees for two years now, every six to seven months. Doctor freezes the area with a spray, injects the needle and voila! Great! Of course, there's a little pinch when the needle goes through the skin, and a weird feeling of fullness as the cortisone is pumped in, but other than that, I have no problems. No side effects and no pain. I resume my normal activities, drive myself home from the doctor's office. I'm now deciding about cortisone injection for my right hip. I will see the orthopedic surgeon next week for consultation. I'm a cortisone believer!

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had cortisone injections into my neck at a pain management clinic. That night I had hallucinations and severe night sweats followed by chills. The chills were so bad I was afraid I would crack my teeth. The hot flashes have lasted two weeks now and are starting to subside. It did help the neck pain, but the side effects have been severe.

Comment from: Malleus, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I had my first ever cortisone shot about 1 month ago. It did nothing for the upper triceps and shoulder. About 2 weeks to the day after the shot, my wrist and elbow swelled like balloons and the pain was horrifying. It has been 1 month and my wrist is still swollen and after having a nerve conduction test they have now determined that my ulnar nerve is pinched causing my little finger and ring finger to be numb and tingly. They said my body rejected the cortisone shot and caused the swelling of the wrist and elbow. I now am retaining fluids and bloat readily. This shot has been a nightmare. I never wanted one before but I was stupid enough this time to buy into it. Never again.

Comment from: grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had two cortisone injections for rotator cuff tears, and after the second injection, (minimal pain) I immediately felt like my blood drained all out of my body. I started to sweat, almost passed out, almost vomited and had to lie there for a good half hour. I felt bad all day, had blurred vision, and was tired and wiped out. My sugar level was very elevated this morning; it is usually 80 to high 90s and today was 156. I don't feel too bad, but the pain in the cuff is worse. I know they said 48 to 72 hours, so I will definitely give it the time to take effect. Hopefully the sweats and feeling drained will subside with time.

Comment from: lovemissheather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

The cortisone injection hurt badly, and then followed that experience up with post injection flare, which I am going through right now. All I have to say is ouch and I hope that my Morton's neuroma responds to it!

Comment from: Sandra, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had an injection of cortisone in my knee 3 days ago. It felt good right away but still quite painful. I have had severe chronic pain in knee for 2 years and didn't know what it was.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.