Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: missirene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease two years back. I have had cortisone injections every three or four months in the back of my neck from C one through C 6; it felt great because of no pain and it numbed for a while. A week later, red round plain rashes showed up in the back of my neck, then started all over my arms, leg and, one spot in the back. I went to my primary doctor who said it could be hives from stress, but I don't feel any stress. The doctor gave me strong prednisone 20mgs, but it didn't make my rashes disappear. My doctor sent me to a dermatologist who took my blood work, to find out what caused my rashes. The lab tests came back normal. I was kind of angry because the rashes are making me so itchy, the specialist gave me a prescription called hydroxide (to help stop the itch), but it is still itchy. I took a shower then and it got worse with more red bumps on my right arms. I took Benadryl every time for itches and Benadryl cream too, but nothing is helping and I am so tired of this. I am wondering if the rashes may be relate to cortisone shot. I don't understand why doctors can't find anything or how it causes my rashes.

Comment from: flowers, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Over the years, I have worn away the cartilage in my left knee and am putting off total knee replacement surgery for a few months so I can ski this winter. I decided to try a cortisone shot in my knee and the results are miraculous. The pain went away right away and the swelling (always present) went away after a couple of days. The downside was that I was totally wired, coupled with sweats that kept me awake for the first 3 or 4 nights. That abated after about a week and now I just have a knee that I can walk on without feeling like I'm a crippled old woman. All in all, the first week of agitation was well worth the relief to my knee.

Comment from: memaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a cortisone injection for trigger finger on 11/14/2013 and now my face is bright red, feels like a sunburn. Ears have started to itch and I am as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. The pain has eased up some, finger is still locking down, and when I go back to the doctor I will not get another injection. It's not worth the side effects for media want to have the surgery and be done with it.

Comment from: kspade, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a steroid injection in the middle of my back for back pain. The next 10 days I was crippled with fluid retention and pain. I lost feeling in both hands and my fingers could not bend because they were so swollen. The pain is so great I would groan and sometimes yell with such intense pain I'd yearn for endurance. My legs were so swollen that my knees actually were unable to hold my own weight. It has been 10 days now and my hand from doing this message is killing me.

Comment from: The Crazy Cat Lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Five days ago, I had a steroid injection in the C-5/C-6/C-7 area of my neck. Ever since then, my left thumb, palm (near the thumb) and wrist have gotten progressively more painful, to the point where if you even touch them I cry out. I asked the doctor about it and he claims it's not from the shot, but I beg to differ; it was fine before the shot! I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand back in August, and before that both hands hurt and were numb and tingly. Surprisingly, after the surgery on the right hand, the left hand didn't hurt any longer and hasn't since; until after the cervical injection this week. I can't help but think the doctor hit a nerve or something that re-awakened the problem. Also, instead of my neck feeling better, my neck, shoulders, head, and all surrounding areas hurt worse! The doctor reminded me that he told me he wasn't certain the injections would work to begin with. That's true, but he didn't tell me ahead of time that I would feel worse! I have a racing heart, headache, tired, and just plain don't feel well. I have a lot of medical issues and take a lot of medications, and I'm so tired of trying things to get some relief from my head-to-toe pain, and I end up feeling more pain and having more side-effects that make it even worse!

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Six weeks ago I had foot surgery for a hammer toe. It was supposed to heal in just a few days. The swelling and pain would not clear up so last week my doctor gave me six injections in the toe with two types of steroids. The shots themselves were extremely painful and have done nothing for the swelling. The side effects have been dizziness, not sleeping well, sweating, and feeling so hyper like my brain would explode. Five days later I am very tired and developing a weird blister on the end of that toe. I don't think cortisone is for me!

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee