Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had cortisone injections into my neck at a pain management clinic. That night I had hallucinations and severe night sweats followed by chills. The chills were so bad I was afraid I would crack my teeth. The hot flashes have lasted two weeks now and are starting to subside. It did help the neck pain, but the side effects have been severe.

Comment from: Malleus, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I had my first ever cortisone shot about 1 month ago. It did nothing for the upper triceps and shoulder. About 2 weeks to the day after the shot, my wrist and elbow swelled like balloons and the pain was horrifying. It has been 1 month and my wrist is still swollen and after having a nerve conduction test they have now determined that my ulnar nerve is pinched causing my little finger and ring finger to be numb and tingly. They said my body rejected the cortisone shot and caused the swelling of the wrist and elbow. I now am retaining fluids and bloat readily. This shot has been a nightmare. I never wanted one before but I was stupid enough this time to buy into it. Never again.

Comment from: grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had two cortisone injections for rotator cuff tears, and after the second injection, (minimal pain) I immediately felt like my blood drained all out of my body. I started to sweat, almost passed out, almost vomited and had to lie there for a good half hour. I felt bad all day, had blurred vision, and was tired and wiped out. My sugar level was very elevated this morning; it is usually 80 to high 90s and today was 156. I don't feel too bad, but the pain in the cuff is worse. I know they said 48 to 72 hours, so I will definitely give it the time to take effect. Hopefully the sweats and feeling drained will subside with time.

Comment from: Blu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

In 2010 I was in the emergency room (ER) for severe pain in legs, so much so that I was in tears and could barely walk. The ER doctor said I had arthritis, but he didn't tell me how bad it was, or what measures to take, but gave me ibuprofen. Fast forward several years. I was x-rayed and it was found out that I have severe arthritis in right knee. I was shocked! My specialist has me on a series of cortisone shots, and last week was the third shot. I felt some relief, but as of last week my head aches, I still have severe pain in knee (just not as severe), and my knee still buckles with pain when walking. And now I have back pain and it's constant. I don't know if it's from cortisone, but I also have the sweats people have mentioned. I only went online to see if cortisone is associated with back pain, but found this forum, and decided to see what others were saying. Now I have a better understanding of what goes on with these shots, as it was not explained in advance by doctors what to expect. My doctor says I'll definitely need a knee replacement, just don't know when.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 28

I feel like I am losing my mind. After reading so many people's reactions to cortisone shots maybe now I know what has been causing me issues. I had a cortisone shot in my knee about 3 weeks ago. I have been perspiring to the point where it is dripping down my face. I have been having muscle cramps or charley horse type of incidents all over my body. I have had them in my foot, my arms, legs, hands, stomach, and even my jaw. I now have a rash on the knee I had the injection in but I also have a rash all of my arm on the opposite side. And, I have this incredible appetite. I see my doctor next week and will discuss all of this.

Comment from: Speechie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had several cortisone shots for pain in my shoulder, foot, and knee in the past. It's been at least a year since my last shot but got one the other day. The shot itself was not painful and there was much improvement in the knee. New side effect was very flushed face as if I have sun or wind burn. It's been 2 days now and it seems to be a tiny bit improved but this has never happened before. I don't have a fever and haven't been outdoors so it can only be attributed to the shot. Otherwise all good!

Comment from: kazzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a steroid injection into my foot on Tuesday (it's now Friday) for Morton's neuroma but have never experienced so much pain. I can hardly walk and the area around the injection site is sore and cannot be touched. I will not be having another cortisone injection.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.