Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Speechie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had several cortisone shots for pain in my shoulder, foot, and knee in the past. It's been at least a year since my last shot but got one the other day. The shot itself was not painful and there was much improvement in the knee. New side effect was very flushed face as if I have sun or wind burn. It's been 2 days now and it seems to be a tiny bit improved but this has never happened before. I don't have a fever and haven't been outdoors so it can only be attributed to the shot. Otherwise all good!

Comment from: kazzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a steroid injection into my foot on Tuesday (it's now Friday) for Morton's neuroma but have never experienced so much pain. I can hardly walk and the area around the injection site is sore and cannot be touched. I will not be having another cortisone injection.

Comment from: smurph, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had a cortisone injection into my shoulder 2 days ago. It's so painful to move or lift. I am now on the third day and it is still painful but hope it works in the long run.

Comment from: PG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had a cortisone shot yesterday in my toe and the pain from the shot was excruciating! My foot did feel worse yesterday but is feeling a bit better today.

Comment from: helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had 2 shots of cortisone on my knee. I am waiting for a knee replacement. I have had no bad experience with either shot, but the effect only lasts about 2 months.

Comment from: Jesmalls, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee three days ago due to severe pain. The injection was no big deal, just a little sting. Within hours I begin feeling much better and three days later I'm great. I hope it lasts a long time.

Comment from: Jp41454145, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had several cortisone injections for relief of pain from a torn rotator cuff tear on my shoulder. The injections generated extreme and unbearable pain when given in my upper arm and the surgeon or doctors don't warn you ahead of time. Instead of alleviating the pain, it causes a minimum of 3 days debilitation and agonizing pain. However, if the injection is given in the soft tissue between the neck and front shoulder blade or the soft tissue on the back of the shoulder blade it alleviates the pain instantly with no extenuating pain or agony.

Comment from: pieter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a cortisone injection into my right hip joint about 3 weeks ago and had to have it done at a hospital where it could be done with the aid of an x ray. It was not very painful and I experienced no side effects at all. It has not really helped much, maybe 10 percent better. Better than nothing I guess.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have L3, L4 and L5 lower back pain that shoots into my right gluteus making me hobble like I'm much older. I had back surgery 18 months ago. Not much help and the recovery of 8 to 12 weeks was not fun. I had 6 cortisone injections, x-ray guided by an orthopedic surgeon yesterday at 10 am. I too woke up at 2 am and that was all the sleep I got last night. I am very hot but no temperature. My pain is gone! I was on Celebrex for 2 years with limited relief. I had soreness at the injection site last night relieved with cold packs and Tylenol. These injections didn't work pre-surgery but they work now, due to different areas being injected. I feel like a new gal today and the thirst and dry mouth may be a product of the high body temperature due to the steroid. It should alleviate soon. Pain free is worth it!

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.