Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: EllasMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had 3 previous cortisone injections before and they put numbing stuff in them so it was no big deal. The liquid going in felt heavy and that was it. Yesterday I got one in my shoulder at the urgent care. He poked me, no pain, pushed the stuff in, felt like cement. Five seconds later unbelievable pain like I have never felt in my whole entire life! It took over my whole arm and felt like someone just snapped my arm in half. I've been through childbirth and this was equivalent. I immediately freaked out thinking something was horribly wrong and went into a full-fledged panic attack, which I've never had before, so I thought I was dying! While in my panic attack they kept explaining I was having a panic attack and it would be okay and I managed to calm down about 10 minutes later, but the pain in my arm was unreal for about an hour. I couldn't stop crying it hurt so badly. I've had so many different types of injections and I'm so baffled by this.

Comment from: jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been having a cortisone injection in my arthritic hip every year for the last 3 years and each time my pain has gone immediately and I am pain free for about 6 months. But I am also not sure if the side effects are worth it although they only last about 1 month. I am a very happy person but these injections bring out a side in me that I didn't know I had - I am cranky, depressed, constantly sweating, and unable to sleep. I also have palpitations and feel generally unwell. However I have absolutely no pain and after 4-6 weeks these symptoms disappear. It's so good to have no pain - but is it worth the side effects - not sure!

Comment from: LIYELLOWBIRD, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am an 80-year-old female in pretty good shape. I've had cortisone injections two times in the right hip. No pain the first time, but no relief either. Second time, soreness, but it went away quickly. No relief, but I now have retention of urine and numbness in my left pinky and ring finger. Don't know if I'll have the next set of shots. The pain in my back is awful. I was very active until a year ago. No pain at night, I sleep well, eat well. Only after walking down the driveway I can hardly get back. I now use a walker. I garden and after 15 minutes I am done! Very unhappy. I don't take pain medications so I can drive. No one seems to have my numbness and urine retention problems. Most of theirs are much worse.

Comment from: Laker Girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a single cortisone injection in my lower spine for a bulging disc in June 2013 and suffered minimal side effects of hot flashes and felt feverish. It also altered my taste for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I had a second round of shots in which I was administered a "double dose" of two injections. My back feels better however I experienced hot flashes all night, along with a racing heart. I was only able to sleep 2 hours, I feel wired, jittery and all amped up. When I woke up after the 2 hours of sleep I had indigestion, a bad taste in my mouth and my stomach felt full of air/gas. My heart is still racing and I feel very nervous and hyperactive with a dull headache. I was not warned about any side effects. Overall the benefit of the shot to my back pain is successful however I think if I had it to do all over again I would stick with a single dose/one injection since the side effects were so minimal the first time.

Comment from: Awesomefocus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I received a cortisone injection from my orthopedist last week in my knee for degenerative arthritis due to multiple injuries and surgeries. Since some of nerves in my left leg were damaged during previous surgeries, my sensation is limited. After the shot, I felt soreness in my leg for a whole day, then fullness and heat when I touch the leg, later, 2 bruises developed. However, my knee pain decreased significantly and I can actually weight-bear now when I walk. I will go in and get my second injection this week on my other knee. Hopefully I will receive the same benefit.

Comment from: polishangel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was having bad knee pain. My doctor gave me a cortisone shot in my knee. The next day was so bad, the pain was 10 times worse. My leg got cold as ice from my knee to my foot. Day 3 I rested as much as I could but I was feeling better. Day 4 I walked around the grocery store trying to walk as normally as I could. Day 5 I was standing and I felt like I getting a big cramp in the calf of my leg. It is now day it is now day 6 and it won't go away.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee