Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Charlie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had a steroid injection in my left knee two and a half weeks ago, the pain and swelling since that time is unbearable and consultant could not give me an explanation for this. I am to have an operation to investigate the problem in a week.

Comment from: anonymous, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I recently had a cortisone shot in my knee. My doctor did not mention any of the side effects that I experienced and are mentioned in the other submissions in this post. I had extreme nausea and headaches for 3 days, very, very strong hot flashes, face flushing and heart palpitations. I contacted the orthopedist and my primary doctor and they both said that could happen, and will calm down after a few days. Those few days were very long and scary. I do not feel confident that the shot is going to help, rather it may be masking the pain. I am starting to feel some of the same aches and pains that I started with, just 2 days ago. I am not pleased.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have lower back problems and have recently had a sacroiliac joint injected with cortisone guided by a CT scanner. Twenty four hours later I was experiencing hot flushed cheeks and mild headache which I had no idea was connected to the injection but eventually I guessed it might be. A pharmacist agreed it was related and advised taking an antihistamine to get it calmed down. I am fine now and already finding relief from the injection. Long may it last!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

My first time for cortisone injections was one in each shoulder. Now, it's five days later. The first morning, and every morning since, I get several calls from nature to the bathroom. Each time, I'm excreting a clear liquid, followed a couple hours later by an actual bowel movement. The first night, I had insomnia and a couple of hallucinations of bright colors. Last night was the first night without a hallucination. Bowel problems continue. I'm thinking much of the cortisone ended up in my bloodstream. Shoulders don't feel much better.

Comment from: kmcd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

This is my third cortisone injection in two years. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I had an injection yesterday. I had pain at the injection sight and knee area last night, and insomnia. Twelve hours after injection I have face flushing and water retention.

Comment from: fsinteriordesign, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I just had a cortisone injection in my shoulder for pain from a tear in my supraspinatus. Yup, I am sleepless as well, and the same thing happened to me 6 years ago when I had several in my lower back. I didn't sleep for two nights. Now, I expect the same thing to happen, but I am in hopes that the pain will subside. Last time it did nothing, but I have been in so much pain, and won't see a surgeon for a month, so I thought I'd try. Sadly, this is a strong side effect.

Comment from: Patricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had a frozen shoulder for two years, and have now had 4 cortisone injections, the last three guided injections using radio therapy. The first two did not help but the third one gave me enormous relief for about 6 months with no side effects. However, the last one a week ago, was fine for the first 24 hours, but then my face broke out in very hot flushes which lasted for 3 days. I also had mild palpitations, and a tight restricted feeling in my chest which feels like chronic indigestion. I still have this a week later, so wondering how long it will take to improve. I have a bit more movement and less pain in my shoulder which is good, but I do not think I would be prepared to have these side effects again. No one at the hospital told me I might experience any of these.

Comment from: Gadget Girlf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

The pain relief from cortisone injection far outweighed any side effects. The pain relief allowed me to resume normal activities such as walking. I'm not sure how long the benefits of the injection will last however I am grateful for the relief.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.