Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: TexasRob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been having shoulder pain for 6 months, finally had cortisone injection today. I had x-ray which showed arthritis and a small bone spur. I didn't even realize I received the injection other than a slight pressure on the front of my shoulder. I had immediate relief but due to the numbing agent mixed with the cortisone. The numbing agent has now worn off (10 hours post injection), but my shoulder feels much better and am told to expect more improvements after 24 to 48 hours. Don't be afraid of the injection, no pain for me at all!

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

After a year of hip pain, I was finally given cortisone injection. This was 26 hours ago, and I am able to walk normally without pain, so hope it lasts; it is a new lease of life.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I've had 2 cortisone shots in my thumb over the last 3 years. The last one was in November, 2015. I really thought I was going to pass out. I've had them in both knees and heels and they didn't bother me, but oh my, the thumb! Pain is indescribable. The 'after pain' is the worst; I felt weak and dizzy. It helped for a bit, but now in December, it's starting to hurt again. I think I should have insisted on the surgery.

Comment from: BostonChick, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 10

I had cortisone shots in my knee. It hurt terribly going in but I had instant pain relief and no other side effects. I am going in for 2 more today on the other knee.

Comment from: Rose anne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 07

After cortisone injection for carpal tunnel I felt hot and cheeks turned pink for a couple days after the shot.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had bilateral injections with hyaluronic acid, a series of three, which I had done three times in the past two years. This time cortisone was added to the last shot. Within 24 hours I felt flushed, headachy, terribly sad, and my blood pressure, which is usually excellent elevated drastically. The knees felt great, but I felt horrible. My general physician said these reactions could last two weeks. I am usually sensitive to drugs.

Comment from: Gibbsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had cortisone injections today into the tissue on top of my foot but between the toes. The local anesthetic was so painful that I burst into tears and sobbed. When the doctor injected the cortisone, oh my gosh, the pain was disgusting that I cried even more and for longer. I hope this never has to be done again. Don't know when it's supposed to start working as my foot is aching even more now.

Comment from: shotzi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a cortisone injection 5 days ago and ever since the day after, I have had panic attacks, anxiety, depression, feelings of suicide and I can't take it anymore. I am on Ativan and it's just not helping. I will never have an injection again. I feel like I am losing my mind.

Comment from: Brandon wife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I recently received a cortisone shot in my right knee, it was my first one on my knee. I experienced pain shortly after the shot, an ice pack helped with the pain, but I still needed to take a pill for the pain. It's been three days and I now have headaches and my neck aches. My knee is doing better but I'm dealing with the other issues.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.