Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I'm a 62 year old diesel mechanic. One evening, my right wrist and forearm became very swollen and painful. Diagnosed by an orthopedic wrist specialist with pseudogout, three days following my cortisone injection and inflammatory medication I had almost a 100 percent mobility in my wrist and the swelling had diminished.

Comment from: SuziN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a cortisone injection for Morton's neuroma. All went well until the next day when I got up and blacked out. Paramedics think it is unrelated to cortisone injection but seems rather a coincidence to me. I felt queasy, dull headache and had no appetite. Six days later I still feel light headed. I don't think I would ever have another cortisone injection; I was only warned about risk of infection and no other side effects.

Comment from: Arleen D., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I've had terrible pain since August 9. The cortisone shot helped me but it still hurts, not as bad.

Comment from: dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had severe pain in both knees for years. I had surgery 25 years ago after constant pain. I was sent to a private hospital and l I had x-rays and MRI scan to both knees. I was diagnosed with wear to cartilage and rubbing of bones. I had a cortisone injection today in one knee, I was dreading it after having one in my elbow 8 years ago. I could not believe it, I had my eyes shut and didn't know the doctor had finished. I didn't feel a thing other than slight movement in my knee, so the story is these injections are never the same. My knee now 8 hours later feels fine, no pain, it just feels full. I can't wait for my other knee next week.

Comment from: Susanb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Today I had a cortisone injection in my knee for a torn meniscus, the numbing shot was painful but the injection was nothing but mild pressure. I have been experiencing extreme pain there for just short of two years and decided finally to have testing done. I can honestly say that instantly my pain went away, and the injection gave me so much energy. I was told to take it easy for a few days but just couldn't so I came home washed clothes, watch two baby grand daughters, was up and down cooking, cleaning, and folding clothes. I feel as if I have gotten a miracle shot, only one problem is I highly doubt I will have a good night's sleep because I have an overabundance of energy. I feel wonderful. Thank you doctor.

Comment from: Hot flashes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had terrible hot flashes through the night. I am on week four after the cortisone injection and seem to be getting it more frequent. Misery with no sleep. However the shot did work. So far, my first one for sciatica.

Comment from: Babs, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had cortisone injections in the top of both feet to alleviate arthritic and neuroma pain. They were very painful, and that night I developed a headache that I couldn't get rid of with over-the -counter pills that I usually take. I think the shots will help in the long run but I sure hate the headache!

Comment from: Nicizzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a cortisone injection 9 days ago for swelling and pain after two failed meniscus repairs. The evening of the injection my knee started to throb as the lidocaine wore off. The pain has gotten significantly worse each day since, and the radius of the pain has grown beyond what it was pre-injection. I don't think I'll be doing this again as it has just made everything worse.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.