Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: guin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a cortisone shot in my foot. I have an extremely high pain tolerance and it was one of the most painful things I have had done. Granted he had to twist the needle to work it through the scar tissue from my previous surgeries. I will never consider having it done again. It has not helped and I preparing for surgery number 3.

Comment from: Egnalag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I just had my first cortisone injection after a year of therapy and exercising my shoulder for osteoarthritis. I was so scared of the pain, but experienced nothing. No pain at all! I am feeling much less pain in my shoulder regained much of the range. I'm glad I did it finally!

Comment from: DonnaDubbz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the right thumb. I had my first corticosteroid injection and literally sobbed and almost blacked out from the pain of the injection itself. I do have a high pain tolerance. I even accidentally had my daughter on my bedroom floor sans drugs, and didn't cry from pain. I have never cried from physical pain in all of my adolescent/adult years. I've never heard of anyone experiencing that intense amount of pain from an injection. Still no improvement for the osteoarthritis pain as of yet either.

Comment from: TexasRob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been having shoulder pain for 6 months, finally had cortisone injection today. I had x-ray which showed arthritis and a small bone spur. I didn't even realize I received the injection other than a slight pressure on the front of my shoulder. I had immediate relief but due to the numbing agent mixed with the cortisone. The numbing agent has now worn off (10 hours post injection), but my shoulder feels much better and am told to expect more improvements after 24 to 48 hours. Don't be afraid of the injection, no pain for me at all!

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

After a year of hip pain, I was finally given cortisone injection. This was 26 hours ago, and I am able to walk normally without pain, so hope it lasts; it is a new lease of life.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I've had 2 cortisone shots in my thumb over the last 3 years. The last one was in November, 2015. I really thought I was going to pass out. I've had them in both knees and heels and they didn't bother me, but oh my, the thumb! Pain is indescribable. The 'after pain' is the worst; I felt weak and dizzy. It helped for a bit, but now in December, it's starting to hurt again. I think I should have insisted on the surgery.

Comment from: BostonChick, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 10

I had cortisone shots in my knee. It hurt terribly going in but I had instant pain relief and no other side effects. I am going in for 2 more today on the other knee.

Comment from: Rose anne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 07

After cortisone injection for carpal tunnel I felt hot and cheeks turned pink for a couple days after the shot.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had bilateral injections with hyaluronic acid, a series of three, which I had done three times in the past two years. This time cortisone was added to the last shot. Within 24 hours I felt flushed, headachy, terribly sad, and my blood pressure, which is usually excellent elevated drastically. The knees felt great, but I felt horrible. My general physician said these reactions could last two weeks. I am usually sensitive to drugs.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.