Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Rose anne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 07

After cortisone injection for carpal tunnel I felt hot and cheeks turned pink for a couple days after the shot.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had bilateral injections with hyaluronic acid, a series of three, which I had done three times in the past two years. This time cortisone was added to the last shot. Within 24 hours I felt flushed, headachy, terribly sad, and my blood pressure, which is usually excellent elevated drastically. The knees felt great, but I felt horrible. My general physician said these reactions could last two weeks. I am usually sensitive to drugs.

Comment from: Gibbsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had cortisone injections today into the tissue on top of my foot but between the toes. The local anesthetic was so painful that I burst into tears and sobbed. When the doctor injected the cortisone, oh my gosh, the pain was disgusting that I cried even more and for longer. I hope this never has to be done again. Don't know when it's supposed to start working as my foot is aching even more now.

Comment from: shotzi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a cortisone injection 5 days ago and ever since the day after, I have had panic attacks, anxiety, depression, feelings of suicide and I can't take it anymore. I am on Ativan and it's just not helping. I will never have an injection again. I feel like I am losing my mind.

Comment from: Brandon wife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I recently received a cortisone shot in my right knee, it was my first one on my knee. I experienced pain shortly after the shot, an ice pack helped with the pain, but I still needed to take a pill for the pain. It's been three days and I now have headaches and my neck aches. My knee is doing better but I'm dealing with the other issues.

Comment from: TejasPenguin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have received quite a few cortisone injections into my thumb joints over the years due to arthritis. I finally had surgery on one thumb and am trying very hard to avoid surgery on the other. The injections are somewhat painful and the aftermath can be little pain to quite a bit for a day or two. Injections last anywhere from 4 to 6 months. My advice is to make sure you are being treated by a rheumatologist or a hand surgeon. Get several opinions to find a doctor focused on pain management rather than automatic surgery. I was told that even though there is no cartilage left in my thumb I can continue having up to three injections a year as long as my pain is being managed.

Comment from: Elaine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had the steroid, Kenalog, injection into my right hip on 9-3-15 at 8:30 am. At 2 pm I called EMS (Emergency Medical Service) with respiratory distress and elevated blood pressure (BP) and severe weakness. In the emergency room (ER) I was given more steroid IV. All lab tests and x-ray were normal. Diagnosis was severe allergic reaction to Kenalog. Severe weakness, burning muscles, tightness in chest continue. Seven days later another ER visit with severe respiratory distress. Again more steroids IV given, all tests normal. Three weeks later I had a very bad respiratory distress episode but chose to stay home not wanting more steroids. I know now that I have Kenalog induced myopathy which causes diaphragm muscle spasms, weakness, and burning muscles. Other symptoms I have experienced from this allergic reaction are tremors, syncope, severe headache, high BP, vision problems, peeling of skin on feet 2 times, heart pain with palpitations, nausea, face redness, severe abdominal bloating, and loss of 7 lb. in 8 days. Now 9 weeks later I am still experiencing chest tightness, muscle weakness and burning. Five years ago I had Kenalog injections into heels, today I suffer with knots in the bottom of feet, burning, pain, and tightness of muscles on tendons from heel to toes with a lot of muscle spasms in feet and toes. This is only getting worse as time goes by. I must wear shoes at all times, I can only wear certain kind. I am allergic to 30 medicines. Doctors don't know what to do with me or for me. Any help will be appreciated.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.