Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: eusurp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I received an injection of Depo-Medrol that was administered professionally and wonderfully for pretty severe rotator cuff issue. The relief (pain scale 5 to 7) was nearly immediate and there was no pain during the injection and no discernible reaction to the area or any other downside to the procedure. The area was pretreated with a cold spray and lidocaine. I guess the cure is less tennis or surgery; less tennis it is!

Comment from: empi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I had extreme pain in both my knees, but the right knee was the worst. After my injection only in my right knee, my pain was about 95% gone, and strangely my pain in the left knee disappeared. I do have very little pain, as I feel my muscles now need toning and strengthening. But after the fourth day, whenever I have my right leg propped up, or in a prone position for more than 10 minutes, I get extreme pain in my foot, as I could not put any weight on it. But once I was up for about 5 minutes, the pain went away. As long as I was standing, walking or sitting in a chair, I was fine, but once I went to sleep at night, I would try and get up to go to the bathroom and find I could not stand on my right foot until I was up for a few minutes this is weird, I am going to contact my doctor to see what is happening.

Comment from: Soldier dude, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I have so far had 2 rounds of SI injections into the SI joint in my hips. The first go round, the person performing the procedure was a bit rough, and had a hard time getting into the hip. Somewhat painful, and the pressure when injecting the medication was intense. The moment the needle was removed it was wonderful. The next day I had some issues with stumbling and a couple of falls, but no real pain. Relief lasted about 3 weeks. Second round the doctor was better about inserting the needle, although painful on the insertion due to the slower pace, the pressure was much more tolerable. I finally have the new set of MRIs and have in my low back and neck 4 herniated disks, 2 tears, and 3 nerve roots that are being cut off.

Comment from: sinman0531, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I received a steroid injection in my knee two days ago. What a difference! I have had chronic, every day pain for the past five years after a horseback riding injury. The first orthopedic surgeon I went to brushed it off as nothing (although he did mention there was 'anonymous' swelling in the joint). I decided to try physiotherapy, exercise, weight loss... it all made it worse or didn't affect it at all. I finally went to a different surgeon and in five minutes he was able to diagnose me with patellofemoral pain. Judging by the way I was injured, I more than likely am missing cartilage behind my knee cap. I work in the medical field, so I know the typical symptoms associated with steroids; facial flushing, hot and cold sweats, insomnia, mood swings, etc. Luckily I only experienced the cold sweats and facial flushing. The worst part about the injection was, I almost passed out immediately after receiving it. Two days post administration I have no pain.

Comment from: BSTABQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I've had both hips injected twice for bursitis, no pain and it was very helpful for about 6 months. I may have them injected again. Then I had one thumb injected, again no pain or side effects. The thumb is much better, but still have some pain. Adding lidocaine to the cortisone and using the freeze spray really helps with the injection itself, and I had no problems with the injection causing side effects.

Comment from: Never Again, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a cortisone shot to treat "frozen shoulder" today, horrible pain. After the shot, within 30 seconds I felt dizzy and said to my husband, "I feel like I am going to pass out”, then did. I woke up, as he says, much later on the patient bed in the doctor's office being fanned by the nurse and husband by my side. Within a minute or so of me trying to talk to them and wake up, both my hands began to draw and I felt immense pressure in my wrists. No one seemed to know why. It lasted for around 30 minutes, never again will I have one of those shots. My shoulder is feeling better, but it was scary and too painful.

Comment from: Anonymous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I just received a cortisone shot in my wrist joint today. I was warned by several other people that it would hurt, but I was skeptical. I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance, but this procedure hurt. Luckily my doctor had a great attitude about it. She warned me I could cuss and yell and even call her mean names, but not to pull away while she had the syringe in my wrist. I cussed a few times and it was really difficult to resist pulling my arm away. It's been 5 hours since I had the shot and I have residual pain. Much worse than the original joint pain that was being treated. But I'm looking forward to positive results and it's tolerable with pain medication. I just can't use my wrist all too much right now.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee