Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I hate cortisone injection or the pill they give you when you get a cold, prednisone. It makes my heart race, I can't sleep, am irritable, and my face turns red as a tomato. I tell them and they just give it to you anyway. I wonder if there is no alternative drug beside this wonder drug they think that it is. I have high anxiety also so it does not mix well with it. I do believe that in some people it could actually cause heart problems. Please submit this so maybe people like myself can get something else. I already take Xanax and it doesn't even help me when they give me steroids.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a cortisone shot yesterday and today I was racing, cheeks were flushed and my arms have been itchy all day. Also, my eyes have a burning sensation in them. This was my fourth injection, two for my shoulder and two on my elbow. I do not recall this reaction with previous injections.

Comment from: anita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had terrible pain in my hip and was thinking I needed hip replacement. Not so, it is bursitis. I got a cortisone shot and did not even feel him injecting it. The pain was 80 percent gone and getting better by the hour. I have my life back.

Comment from: mld, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had a cortisone shot in the arch of my foot yesterday. The injection didn't hurt at all. There was some tightness throughout the day and I couldn't sleep last night maybe due to the shot or maybe a side effect. Today original pain has subsided but and I am feeling somewhat euphoric; another side effect perhaps, but all in all it seems to be working.

Comment from: sandra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a cortisone shot in my heel for inflamed Achilles tendon. I had horrible pain. The doctor didn't warn me. I actually cried out loud.

Comment from: guin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a cortisone shot in my foot. I have an extremely high pain tolerance and it was one of the most painful things I have had done. Granted he had to twist the needle to work it through the scar tissue from my previous surgeries. I will never consider having it done again. It has not helped and I preparing for surgery number 3.

Comment from: Egnalag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I just had my first cortisone injection after a year of therapy and exercising my shoulder for osteoarthritis. I was so scared of the pain, but experienced nothing. No pain at all! I am feeling much less pain in my shoulder regained much of the range. I'm glad I did it finally!

Comment from: DonnaDubbz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the right thumb. I had my first corticosteroid injection and literally sobbed and almost blacked out from the pain of the injection itself. I do have a high pain tolerance. I even accidentally had my daughter on my bedroom floor sans drugs, and didn't cry from pain. I have never cried from physical pain in all of my adolescent/adult years. I've never heard of anyone experiencing that intense amount of pain from an injection. Still no improvement for the osteoarthritis pain as of yet either.

Comment from: TexasRob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been having shoulder pain for 6 months, finally had cortisone injection today. I had x-ray which showed arthritis and a small bone spur. I didn't even realize I received the injection other than a slight pressure on the front of my shoulder. I had immediate relief but due to the numbing agent mixed with the cortisone. The numbing agent has now worn off (10 hours post injection), but my shoulder feels much better and am told to expect more improvements after 24 to 48 hours. Don't be afraid of the injection, no pain for me at all!

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.