Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Kyngerr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I had my 3rd cortisone shot (in 6 months) yesterday. The first two produced some pain for a couple of days but nothing I couldn't cope with. The shot I had yesterday has produced such severe pain that I can only walk if I bend over almost double. I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if it settles down, and I'll keep ice on my lower back a few times a day to see if that helps along with some painkillers. Not sure that I want to go through this again.

Comment from: Peananner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I got the hip steroid shot for moderate to severe arthritis in the hip. It has only been two days but the cortisone injection has not helped yet. I am getting worried as they said a hip replacement is in the near future. This was my first hip shot and I expected it to help more. The procedure hurt very little and I was so relieved, as I was freaked out about getting it. Now I am freaked that it's not going to help and I will have to have a replacement sooner than later. I am 62 years old, very healthy and very active woman. I am hoping the next few days bring relief for the obvious painful reason but mostly so it buys me time before having to do a big surgery.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I received a cortisone injection to my shoulder and was fine the first time. The second time I became faint and started vomiting. I put it down to not having had breakfast that morning, however the third injection years later had the same effect. Mid way through the cortisone going in, my color drained and I felt very weird and disorientated. I have no problem with injections so it wasn't that I was squeamish about the needle. I can only surmise that I am allergic to the cortisone or whatever it was mixed with.

Comment from: PL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have been suffering from bronchitis, coughing, and acid reflux for weeks. The doctor gave me a cortisone injection in the right hip. It was not painful. This was on a Friday. Saturday morning when I got up to do my normal household cleaning, I noticed my legs were very weak. I began to feel tired and weaker as the day progressed. By Saturday night my sciatic nerve was inflamed and irritating my lower left back area down my left leg. My left knee was painful. I did not sleep well that night and Sunday the pain in my back, leg and knee was extreme. I was tired, ill, and experienced an 8 pain level with a swollen, numb left knee. It was difficult to move, walk, and even lie down. I could not work on Monday because of the sciatic pain in lower left back, hip, and down to the knee. My knee is still swollen and numb. I am also having muscle spasms in the left leg. My mood has been depressed and anxious. Appetite and taste are not normal. I'm not sure if I will be able to work tomorrow. I will not have another injection. I have been miserable since the shot. It was not worth it. I'm not sure how this will unfold.

Comment from: Maz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had cortisone injection yesterday in my right knee. There was no pain but I nearly passed out, so he had to stop, and then I said try again. Again I nearly passed out but no pain. This morning pain is less but there is a bit of swelling; I am hoping I will feel better soon.

Comment from: WINFREY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had my first cortisone injection. The first couple of hours my knee felt great. Into the 5th hour my knee is in excruciating pain, worse now than it was before the shot. I cannot walk on it, I am in so much pain I wish I had never gotten the shot. The doctor gave me one until my surgery next month when I'm getting a total knee replacement!

Comment from: dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I'm a 62 year old diesel mechanic. One evening, my right wrist and forearm became very swollen and painful. Diagnosed by an orthopedic wrist specialist with pseudogout, three days following my cortisone injection and inflammatory medication I had almost a 100 percent mobility in my wrist and the swelling had diminished.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.