Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Grcgei, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a cortisone injection yesterday and today my face is flushed and splotchy. I also have a headache that won't go away.

Comment from: Jules, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur 18 months ago at the age of 58 and tests revealed I had aortic stenosis. I ride a road bike (120 km/week with four males younger than myself) and had started to get short of breath and chest pains with further pain radiating down my left arm when going up steep hills (exerting myself, even walking up steep hills causing same symptoms). Other symptoms were heart palpitations and 'clicking or ticking' of my heart at night time when lying in bed (felt like it was 'sticking'). I thought my age was finally catching up with me (although I am fairly fit) so didn't do anything about it except not push myself as hard in trying to keep up with the younger male riders. I have been told I will need my aortic valve replaced eventually as it keeps narrowing. This narrowing gets monitored annually. I am dreading open heart surgery but try not to think about it. I am living life to the fullest and just grateful my sons are healthy and happy.

Comment from: active lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee two days ago. Yesterday, I started a slight headache and flushing of both cheeks and across the bridge of my nose. It is a little worse today. I said I was sensitive to normal doses of medication, but they gave me a normal dose anyway. I hope it doesn't get worse.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I hate cortisone injection or the pill they give you when you get a cold, prednisone. It makes my heart race, I can't sleep, am irritable, and my face turns red as a tomato. I tell them and they just give it to you anyway. I wonder if there is no alternative drug beside this wonder drug they think that it is. I have high anxiety also so it does not mix well with it. I do believe that in some people it could actually cause heart problems. Please submit this so maybe people like myself can get something else. I already take Xanax and it doesn't even help me when they give me steroids.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a cortisone shot yesterday and today I was racing, cheeks were flushed and my arms have been itchy all day. Also, my eyes have a burning sensation in them. This was my fourth injection, two for my shoulder and two on my elbow. I do not recall this reaction with previous injections.

Comment from: anita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had terrible pain in my hip and was thinking I needed hip replacement. Not so, it is bursitis. I got a cortisone shot and did not even feel him injecting it. The pain was 80 percent gone and getting better by the hour. I have my life back.

Comment from: mld, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had a cortisone shot in the arch of my foot yesterday. The injection didn't hurt at all. There was some tightness throughout the day and I couldn't sleep last night maybe due to the shot or maybe a side effect. Today original pain has subsided but and I am feeling somewhat euphoric; another side effect perhaps, but all in all it seems to be working.

Comment from: sandra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a cortisone shot in my heel for inflamed Achilles tendon. I had horrible pain. The doctor didn't warn me. I actually cried out loud.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.