Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Joanne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have a slight tear in my shoulder from a fall 3 years ago! I get a cortisone shot about 1 or 2 times a year! I feel better in a few hours! I have never had swelling or any bad effects from a shot! It has kept me active and healthy for many years!

Comment from: Concerned, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had 8 cortisone injections with a relaxant including to the sides of low neck and shoulders. My digestion system stopped working and was numb. No pain, no muscle movement, no gas and not even a sound. I ended up in urgent care. After nearly 3 months my digestive system will not work naturally. Seeing a gastrointestinal specialist next. I found a medical site that warned to go to emergency if this happens days later. Certainly am annoyed that I was not told of possible side effects.

Comment from: VaCanuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I finally had my first injection of cortisone in my left shoulder yesterday morning. It was an ultrasound guided injection by a doctor. There was no pain from the injection. A few hours later my arm was both stiff, numb and in a great deal of pain. I had to use strong painkillers to sleep. Today the pain has subsided. I have flushing on the face and noted several others have said the same thing, I never would have associated the flushing with the injection. I'm really hoping this is worth the time and effort. So far, no relief.

Comment from: Bahtat, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 08

On February 3 2016 I had a cortisone injection in both wrists for carpal tunnel syndrome. I had insomnia last night and experienced a very high heart rate early this morning. This seems to be connected.

Comment from: Kiwi Kiwi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder 3 days ago. I hardly felt it go in and no problems afterwards.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was given cortisone injection in both hands six days ago. I still feel terrible, face is really red and hot at times. I cannot sleep, have high blood pressure and feel really unwell. I phoned doctor and he said cortisone shot would not make me feel like that.

Comment from: Grcgei, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a cortisone injection yesterday and today my face is flushed and splotchy. I also have a headache that won't go away.

Comment from: Jules, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur 18 months ago at the age of 58 and tests revealed I had aortic stenosis. I ride a road bike (120 km/week with four males younger than myself) and had started to get short of breath and chest pains with further pain radiating down my left arm when going up steep hills (exerting myself, even walking up steep hills causing same symptoms). Other symptoms were heart palpitations and 'clicking or ticking' of my heart at night time when lying in bed (felt like it was 'sticking'). I thought my age was finally catching up with me (although I am fairly fit) so didn't do anything about it except not push myself as hard in trying to keep up with the younger male riders. I have been told I will need my aortic valve replaced eventually as it keeps narrowing. This narrowing gets monitored annually. I am dreading open heart surgery but try not to think about it. I am living life to the fullest and just grateful my sons are healthy and happy.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.