Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: xerxes, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

My first cortisone injection for osteoarthritis in my knee (have it in both knees but far worse in the left) was three months ago. The injection was relatively painless. For about three and half weeks there was no change whatever. A sudden almost overnight improvement to what felt like a new knee. Three and half months later, pain came back as rapidly as it had left. I had second injection today in the same knee. I am awaiting results. The procedure was, in my view a success, well worthwhile.

Comment from: nikki0102, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

In my experience with cortisone injection my pain in my elbow stopped for 8 weeks and started back up. Side effects were very bad, dizziness shortness of breath, pressure went up, and now my skin peeled off on the area of injection and is discolored in a circular area of my right elbow exactly where doctor injected me with Kenalog-lidocaine mixed.

Comment from: misstom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had my first cortisone shot three days ago into my shoulder. I experienced dizziness, hot flashes, flushing, tongue tingling and shortness of breath on an off since then. The pain in my shoulder is mostly gone though. I will not do this type of shot again. The shortness of breath is making me too anxious.

Comment from: Bursitis in foot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have bursitis in my right foot by my big toe and received a cortisone shot two days ago. The pain from the bursitis was a lot less but the injection site and around it were and are still tender to the touch. On the first evening/night I was sweating and on day 2 and 3 I had red flushing on my face.

Comment from: Ronna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

After sustaining unbearable pain for one year from plantar fasciitis during which I became unable to walk and to the point of being dysfunctional because of the pain, I received cortisone shots to my heels. I cannot believe the relief I have gained. I was walking like new within a day of receiving the shot. The first night I could not sleep but after that I had no other side effects. The pain returned after two to three months so I have repeated them. This time I will participate in physical therapy so that hopefully I won't have to repeat them again. My experience has been very positive so far.

Comment from: LForinton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Yesterday I received a cortisone injection in my shoulder and today my face is bright red and to the touch very hot. I also have a really bad headache.

Comment from: Diane Wilson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was given a cortisone shot for bursitis in my shoulder. It relieved the pain but within a few days my whole body was turned into a state of acidity. After getting through boxes of over the counter antacids which did not help much, my doctor prescribed a drug called Topzole. I have had 23 of 28 daily tablets and can feel very little improvement. If I have a piece of fruit or a glass of wine, it's terrible. I don't know which is worse, the pain that has returned or the acidity which the doctor tells me is a rare reaction.

Comment from: Trudy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have had 3 cortisone injections for a frozen shoulder now and all have been great! Thursday just gone, I had my 4th, for the same reason, same shoulder, but a different doctor did it from the rear this time normally done from front! And within hours of it the terrible headache started and hot flushes; being cold but sweating especially in the neck and face area. I also have arm redness, swelling and hotness down the same side. I am now on Tuesday, day 5, and feel like the flu has got me still sweating like mad, with dizzy spells too. If it's like this I would never have had it done!

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.