Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: TejasPenguin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have received quite a few cortisone injections into my thumb joints over the years due to arthritis. I finally had surgery on one thumb and am trying very hard to avoid surgery on the other. The injections are somewhat painful and the aftermath can be little pain to quite a bit for a day or two. Injections last anywhere from 4 to 6 months. My advice is to make sure you are being treated by a rheumatologist or a hand surgeon. Get several opinions to find a doctor focused on pain management rather than automatic surgery. I was told that even though there is no cartilage left in my thumb I can continue having up to three injections a year as long as my pain is being managed.

Comment from: Elaine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had the steroid, Kenalog, injection into my right hip on 9-3-15 at 8:30 am. At 2 pm I called EMS (Emergency Medical Service) with respiratory distress and elevated blood pressure (BP) and severe weakness. In the emergency room (ER) I was given more steroid IV. All lab tests and x-ray were normal. Diagnosis was severe allergic reaction to Kenalog. Severe weakness, burning muscles, tightness in chest continue. Seven days later another ER visit with severe respiratory distress. Again more steroids IV given, all tests normal. Three weeks later I had a very bad respiratory distress episode but chose to stay home not wanting more steroids. I know now that I have Kenalog induced myopathy which causes diaphragm muscle spasms, weakness, and burning muscles. Other symptoms I have experienced from this allergic reaction are tremors, syncope, severe headache, high BP, vision problems, peeling of skin on feet 2 times, heart pain with palpitations, nausea, face redness, severe abdominal bloating, and loss of 7 lb. in 8 days. Now 9 weeks later I am still experiencing chest tightness, muscle weakness and burning. Five years ago I had Kenalog injections into heels, today I suffer with knots in the bottom of feet, burning, pain, and tightness of muscles on tendons from heel to toes with a lot of muscle spasms in feet and toes. This is only getting worse as time goes by. I must wear shoes at all times, I can only wear certain kind. I am allergic to 30 medicines. Doctors don't know what to do with me or for me. Any help will be appreciated.

Comment from: EL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have received a series of 3 cortisone injections in the lower lumbar region and after each I experienced elevated blood sugars and hot flashes I can only describe as 'furnacing'. It was worse than menopausal hot flashes, decreasing over time but still going on 2 months since the injection. My pain and leg radiation of pain is gone. Absolutely worth it!

Comment from: Re, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I've suffered with bone on bone for years. Over the last few years I've been getting about three cortisone shots per year. Recently, I've been doing research that suggests cortisone can cause diabetes and unexplained weight gain. I was diagnosed as a pre-diabetic, and have unexplained weight gain. I'm in pain with my knees, and I don't know what to do as the cortisone shots would always give me relief for a few months. Moreover, I don't want to get them anymore, if it means getting weight gain and diabetes. The booster shots didn't work for me. I'm open for suggestions.

Comment from: Sleepless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

The day of my cortisone shot I cannot sleep that night, and the next day I experience a migraine headache. And these symptoms don't fail to occur every time I get one.

Comment from: FL Boomer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had meniscus surgery on my left knee in 1997, and was doing fine until 7/15. I played water volleyball and started having knee pain again and started experiencing knee 'giving out'. I'm bone on bone with arthritis, and received cortisone injection in July. I had no side effects and am back in the water again, but have occasional twinges of pain in my knee. I would prefer not to have knee replacement, and hope that I can get by with the cortisone shots.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.