Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Scotty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 12

After having a cortisone shot yesterday in my right shoulder, I started having hiccups. About six hours later I noticed my heart rate had gone up to 105 beats per minute and it stayed high for about 10 hours. My heart rate is normal this morning but I am still getting the hiccups.

Comment from: Vid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a male, aged 46. Profession, mechanic. I've suffered from shoulder pain for the past 4 years. Today I received a cortisone shot in my shoulder 12 hours ago. Pain during shot was tolerable. However pain now centers on my shoulder but also radiates down my arm and up my neck; it is nearly unbearable. I can't sleep and I have a pounding headache. If there was a magic 'do over' button available I'd definitely use it on this decision. I do believe that for some, this type of treatment works well. But, for me it doesn't.

Comment from: ShirleyP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had an epidural cortisone injection 5 weeks ago. Three days after I started having palpation, flushes, shakes, weakness, and the worst thing now is weakness in my legs. If I had known that I would feel so awful I wouldn't have entertained it, I'm supposed to have another in December, but no way!

Comment from: Carmen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a cortisone injection one week ago and it was almost painless. I still have pain in my knee but is much better than before the shot.

Comment from: Jeannie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I just had a cortisone injection today in my hand. I have arthritis in my thumb. It's called basal joint arthritis. That injection hurt so bad it literally brought tears to my eyes. He even put a pain killer in as well as sprayed some cold stuff on my lower muscle below my joint on my thumb. He said it will feel better in an hour or so. I was willing to hurt short term for long term effects but, it hasn't helped a bit, matter of fact I think it is worse. I tried ice, but that didn't help either. Maybe this doesn't work for everybody. Or maybe tomorrow will be better.

Comment from: Nanel, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 28

I recently finished a series of lumbar cortisone shots for a back injury. The last shot produced some strange reactions. The day after, I awoke with heightened sensory perceptions. Objects were brighter, sounds louder, smells stronger, and thoughts clearer; very psychedelic. Then I began having rapid heartbeat, pulse and my blood pressure skyrocketed. I had profuse sweating. Now 5 days later, I am on the mend. I thought. However, a red, flat, itchy, painful rash appeared under my breasts streaking down my torso. I thought it might be heat rash. My previous injections had no side effects, indicating to me, personally, that this might be a cumulative effect.

Comment from: kaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had shoulder bursitis and tendon damage. I lived with it for 25 years, my arm was numb and I was always in pain, and tense. I had cortisone injections about 5 or 6 times. It works beautifully but now I have a side effect; cataract on the eye of the same right hand side. I was also prescribed Lyrica. Again works beautifully; with the same listed side effect, cataract. So now I am taking codeine to help me sleep.

Comment from: Harmony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had one cortisone shot in my left knee that worked beautifully for about 4 months. About a year later I got another one that only lasted about 3 weeks. I got the shot in Minneapolis and both times it felt like I was getting an electric shock. I have read how people say it was painless, but both times I thought I was going to pass out from the pain and I'm a person with a pretty high tolerance for pain. I am still in pain and haven't had another shot for over 3 years, because the pain of the injection just isn't worth it.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.