Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Jp41454145, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had several cortisone injections for relief of pain from a torn rotator cuff tear on my shoulder. The injections generated extreme and unbearable pain when given in my upper arm and the surgeon or doctors don't warn you ahead of time. Instead of alleviating the pain, it causes a minimum of 3 days debilitation and agonizing pain. However, if the injection is given in the soft tissue between the neck and front shoulder blade or the soft tissue on the back of the shoulder blade it alleviates the pain instantly with no extenuating pain or agony.

Comment from: pieter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a cortisone injection into my right hip joint about 3 weeks ago and had to have it done at a hospital where it could be done with the aid of an x ray. It was not very painful and I experienced no side effects at all. It has not really helped much, maybe 10 percent better. Better than nothing I guess.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have L3, L4 and L5 lower back pain that shoots into my right gluteus making me hobble like I'm much older. I had back surgery 18 months ago. Not much help and the recovery of 8 to 12 weeks was not fun. I had 6 cortisone injections, x-ray guided by an orthopedic surgeon yesterday at 10 am. I too woke up at 2 am and that was all the sleep I got last night. I am very hot but no temperature. My pain is gone! I was on Celebrex for 2 years with limited relief. I had soreness at the injection site last night relieved with cold packs and Tylenol. These injections didn't work pre-surgery but they work now, due to different areas being injected. I feel like a new gal today and the thirst and dry mouth may be a product of the high body temperature due to the steroid. It should alleviate soon. Pain free is worth it!

Comment from: cj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I received a hip shot two days ago under general anesthesia. I had a lot of pain before the shot and could hardly walk. I have pins in the same hip from a fall as a child so my doctor is very particular about my receiving the cortisone injection in a hospital. The day of the shot my pain subsided considerably. I know that I am not moving as much as I should but the pain is still there, just not as bad as before. This was my 3rd injection and my primary doctor has scheduled me for physical therapy. I am ready to move, walk and feel better.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder on Thursday for frozen shoulder. I had a lot more movement after about an hour and less pain, and I got some sleep that night for the first time in a long time. Friday, I had a pain free day at work. Saturday I felt some gradual pain building in my back, and that night I had not much sleep because of the pain. My shoulder is still pretty good, and the doctor said I would get some pain over the weekend. I don't know why the pain is in my back now, I hope the pain goes soon.

Comment from: davis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder one week ago. I had severe reddening of the face and hot sweats at night for 2 days. That resolved and now 1 week later I have a severe pain in the right side of my face. I was diagnosed today with trigeminal neuralgia, I have never had any medical problems in my life, take no medications, hike mountains daily, go to the gym, and this came out of nowhere and on the same side as my shoulder injection. I think this is related to the injection.

Comment from: ED, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

I get cortisone shot about every 3 or 4 months. They work great. Just a little needle sting like any shot and I have instant relief. Keeps me playing racquetball 3 times a week. I also have almost bone on bone in my right knee.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.