Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Emily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I got a cortisone injection in my thumb 12 months ago. Not much pain but could not move my thumb the first week. My doctor told me to exercise my thumb and then it was all good for up to 12 months. I just received my second cortisone injection last Thursday in the same thumb, rested it and can move my thumb slightly but not fully. I had no side effects.

Comment from: robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I had cortisone injections on my shoulder, and 8 months down the line I now have avascular necrosis, a well-known side effect from steroids.

Comment from: Cchipawoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I got a cortisone injection today at 11:30 am. It's now 11:05 pm and for the last 3 hours I've been experiencing heart palpitations and shortness of breath. I am not sure what to do.

Comment from: Annieann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

My cortisone injection was in the right side hip area. I read in the side effects that the shot could make me feel worse before I felt better. I was in severe pain the night after getting the shot, and couldn't sleep. I took ibuprofen to relieve pain. The doctor said I had an unusually severe reaction to the shot. But it helped with the hip pain.

Comment from: scubarry, 65-74 (Patient) Published: February 23

My first cortisone shot was for arthritis in my thumb. I lost my voice for 9 weeks and 3 days. I was aware that I was allergic to cortisone because I'd lose my voice for a day or two after taking a cortisone pill. My second shot was in January and now I am into my 6th week with no voice.

Comment from: Joanne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have a slight tear in my shoulder from a fall 3 years ago! I get a cortisone shot about 1 or 2 times a year! I feel better in a few hours! I have never had swelling or any bad effects from a shot! It has kept me active and healthy for many years!

Comment from: Concerned, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had 8 cortisone injections with a relaxant including to the sides of low neck and shoulders. My digestion system stopped working and was numb. No pain, no muscle movement, no gas and not even a sound. I ended up in urgent care. After nearly 3 months my digestive system will not work naturally. Seeing a gastrointestinal specialist next. I found a medical site that warned to go to emergency if this happens days later. Certainly am annoyed that I was not told of possible side effects.

Comment from: VaCanuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I finally had my first injection of cortisone in my left shoulder yesterday morning. It was an ultrasound guided injection by a doctor. There was no pain from the injection. A few hours later my arm was both stiff, numb and in a great deal of pain. I had to use strong painkillers to sleep. Today the pain has subsided. I have flushing on the face and noted several others have said the same thing, I never would have associated the flushing with the injection. I'm really hoping this is worth the time and effort. So far, no relief.

Comment from: Bahtat, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 08

On February 3 2016 I had a cortisone injection in both wrists for carpal tunnel syndrome. I had insomnia last night and experienced a very high heart rate early this morning. This seems to be connected.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.