Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: Eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been having hydrocortisone Injections in the lower facet joints of my spine at L4 and L5, and L1 and L2 for just over 4 years now. My last one was this morning. I have noticed that over time whilst they did work to begin with they are now working less and less unfortunately, and the injections themselves have always been very painful for me. Another side effect, that it took me some time to connect with these injections, was my continued weight gain despite eating healthily. I went from 14 stones 5 lb. to 17 stones in 3 years but during the past year only, my doctor and I looked into what could have done this but to no avail, until I contacted him this morning and asked whether it could be due to the injections. He told me it was the one thing they hadn"t considered and spoke to my specialist who confirmed it. As my injections and my pain are in my lower back, the continued weight addition is of course defeating the whole object of having them! The extra weight increases the back pain. I have decided therefore to discontinue my injections as they are doing me more harm than good even though I must suffer the spondylosis and osteoarthritis daily.

Comment from: justlove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I received 2 cortisone injections in my hips (one in each), and got immediate relief and flexibility. It lasted about 2 1/2 months before it wore off. Shots did not hurt, which was an unexpected surprise, as these were my first injections of this kind.

Comment from: Raininginoregon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I just had a steroid shot in my right knee and almost passed out. The doctor had a difficult time finding the sweet spot (under knee cap) and needle kept hitting bone. I"ve had numerous cortisone injections, back and knee but never ever had one like this! Pain was so intense I became immediately nauseous and felt my blood pressure drop. I broke out in cold sweat and was on the verge of blacking out. I hope that this shot works for I can"t imagine I can go through that ever again.

Comment from: Al Gorithm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Today I received a cortisone injection in my left shoulder to relieve pain brought on by bicep tendonitis. I told the doctor I was also being tormented by itchy eyes and he said the cortisone would relieve those allergy symptoms. He was right. Not only is my shoulder much better, but more importantly, I have relief from the allergy symptoms I have been enduring since St. Patrick's Day. Oh what a relief it is!

Comment from: vieja, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had two cortisone injections for hip bursitis. I got instant relief but it only lasted two days. When I got the second injection it was a much stronger dose. Relief was not immediate but soon. Again it did not last but the pain came back with a vengeance. Now my pain is so severe I have to back into the car in order to get in. I am going through physiotherapy now but that does not seem to be helping either but it is still early so I will keep going and hope for the best. They have me on isometric exercises.

Comment from: Xavier969, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

My condition was severe pain in both shoulders. I was treated with cortisone injections over a period of 2 1/2 years. Each series of injections provided about 6 months of relief. It"s now been 15 months since my last injection; I have no more pain and am an active tennis player.

Comment from: mrsdragon502, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

Today I had 2 shots of cortisone in my left shoulder and 2 in my lower back on the right side. I was in a lot of pain when I went in but severe pain when I left. I am still in pain but not as bad, plus I have a really bad headache. This will be the last time I get this type a shot.

Comment from: AshleyA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had 4 to 5 steroid injections to my right hip approximately 6 months ago for presumed trochanteric bursitis. The injections were horribly painful, which the doctor said was not surprising as he suspected my bursa was acutely inflamed. The injections as well as the following 48 hours left me in considerable pain, but once the pain wore off, I was virtually pain free (despite a double tear of my labral cartilage in right hip as well) for about 6 months. I have gradually started running again, and I have a feeling it has set off the bursitis again. I am used to running about 15 miles a week, but my plan is to back off the running and stick with weights until some of the pain subsides.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee