Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: Candace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had cortisone shots for my knees and have had a great result each time. For me, the effects last several months and I have been able to limit injections to 1-2 a year with careful planning. That said, I do experience the flushing and sometimes a bit of a heart flutter. This is a reaction to the pain killer injection before the steroid shot and not the steroids itself. I am sensitive to all 'caine' type drugs and it never dawned on me that I would have a reaction to this. You may want to consider this as a possibility and mention it to your care provider if you experience a reaction. For me, I experience the reaction one or two hours after the injection (long enough for me to drive myself to work usually) and then it lasts for a few hours and is more annoying than debilitating.

Comment from: mary beth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I got a second opinion yesterday from an orthopedic surgeon. At that time I have some cartilage damage under knee cap and on the left side. I also have some nerve damage on the right. I received an injection that left me up all night last night. I could not sleep, still can"t. The numbness lasted till around 2:30 am; at that time I took a Tylenol for a horrible headache, which eventually went away. I am tired and can"t sleep. There is cracking of the knee now and pain on the right, probably from injection. I iced it for twenty minutes and gave in and took a pain pill. Right knee hurts now because I am favoring the left. I will not give up, I love to walk.

Comment from: Hill22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had 4 injections of cortisone in my lower back and noticed I didn"t sleep that night, also had bright red cheeks warm to the touch. I got two injections in my finger and wrist. No sleep last night and bright red cheeks warm to the touch again today!

Comment from: Activ-gmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been getting injections for 17 months now. I get them in both knees every 3 months. Side effects are nausea, hot flashes and headache. I get relief from pain within a few days but the long term relief is short. It really depends on how active I am and how much walking I do. Since the only other option is knee replacement, I continue with the injections. I was advised weight loss could help. I have lost 42 pounds but do not see a significant difference. My best advice is to keep moving and not give in to the pain, rest frequently during the day and elevate your legs.

Comment from: pabtz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was diagnosed this afternoon with a frozen shoulder. I was anticipating a cortisone shot and relief. The needle passage through the scarred tissue was difficult. Within minutes of the shot the pain spiked to an intensity level hard to describe. I felt close to passing out, wished I would have. The pain continued for 20 to 30 minutes at super high intensity and has finally reduced. I hope the extended effects will be progressively better.

Comment from: So Impressed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have suffered with knee pain for many years, progressively worse over time, due to many years of long distance running. I was diagnosed with arthritic knees and received all kinds of treatments (physical therapy, taping, pills, more physical therapy, orthotics, injection therapy), but no decrease in pain. I had given up until my neighbor encouraged me to try again with his doctor. She explained that the injection therapy I received several years ago was no longer in use and the current injections (Orthovisc) were much improved. However, she first wanted to give me steroid injections to reduce inflammation before the Orthovisc. I can"t believe the difference - I"m pain free. I can"t believe that none of the several doctors I saw suggested this cortisone injection. I would absolutely encourage anyone with knee pain to try this option - I am absolutely sold! My sincere wishes that it helps you as much as it has me!

Comment from: Happy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I was headed towards not being able to walk due to both inner knee pain from arthritis. I had my first shots in both knees on Oct 19 2013. Within a week I was able to walk again (just around the house) without assistance from even a cane. I just got my second shots on January 29th, 2014. They were given on the outer knee this time and so far, have not relieved the slight pain in my inner knee. It has only been a couple of days, but I am hoping I have the same wonderful results. I did notice last time that all my minor aches and pains, both shoulders, back and disappeared until about January 6th, 2014.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee