Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: suzisavage, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have been getting steroid injections in my back for a year. Now I'm begging the doctor for cortisone shots every week. Only once I had flushing. People, it hurts badly but only if the area is super-inflamed to start with. My doctor said, the more it hurts the better, in that it's getting where it is really needed. Watch out for moodiness though. Heads up, this medicine can make you mad, sad, and emotional. Just try not to overreact to things, as it's the drug. Also when it is wearing off after a week. But it helps pain so much. Worth a try, lifesaver for me personally especially since it is nearly impossible to get pain medicines these days.

Comment from: Never Again, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I received a cortisone injection post rotator cuff surgery for pain and stiffness. I started feeling sick two hours later, and had headache, nausea, hot flashes, insomnia, racing heartbeat, and even worse, pain in my shoulder. I could not return to work 6 days later now, and am in worse pain than before the shot and I look like I have rosacea. I can't stand to do physical therapy, no appetite, my heart pounds when I walk up steps, and I was fit before this. Never again will I allow that poison shot; and I asked about side effects before getting it, all I was told was I might get a face flush, not spend hours feeling so sick I couldn't move for fear I'd vomit, crying in pain, and unable to sleep for days.

Comment from: Henna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I hurt my shoulder two years ago. I had cortisone injection in my shoulder three days ago. Last night I couldn't sleep because of strange pain in my abdomen. My shoulder's pain only improved a little bit. I think I should have tried other medicines or antibiotics. I don't know why my doctor didn't wait for the injection.

Comment from: PAPEACH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have been a recipient of cortisone injections in both shoulders, elbow, lumbar discs and sacrum (beneath the tailbone). Generally speaking, they have helped, but there have been short-term side effects. With some, I have had major face flushing and burning, deep pain where the medication was administered and general malaise. I have several difficult skeletal impairments and find the cortisone usually works better for me than pills. Though the relief may not last long, there's always ibuprofen!

Comment from: Matt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I just got a cortisone shot in my big toe joint this morning. Yeah, it hurt some when the doctor was doing it but it was bearable enough. The doctor was also spraying some sort of numbing spray which helped ease the pain. It bled a little but nothing crazy. Four hours later the pain in my foot has gone down some. No adverse side effects yet other than I continue to hate getting needles and I'm not looking forward to the next one in a few weeks.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been in pain on my right side for years. I fell last week and for the first time had x-rays of my hips. All doctors said the pain was from my back. I had a cortisone shot yesterday and for the first time I do not hurt today. Yes! I do not know how long it will last but at least I am better.

Comment from: Emily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I got a cortisone injection in my thumb 12 months ago. Not much pain but could not move my thumb the first week. My doctor told me to exercise my thumb and then it was all good for up to 12 months. I just received my second cortisone injection last Thursday in the same thumb, rested it and can move my thumb slightly but not fully. I had no side effects.

Comment from: robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I had cortisone injections on my shoulder, and 8 months down the line I now have avascular necrosis, a well-known side effect from steroids.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.