Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Blu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

In 2010 I was in the emergency room (ER) for severe pain in legs, so much so that I was in tears and could barely walk. The ER doctor said I had arthritis, but he didn't tell me how bad it was, or what measures to take, but gave me ibuprofen. Fast forward several years. I was x-rayed and it was found out that I have severe arthritis in right knee. I was shocked! My specialist has me on a series of cortisone shots, and last week was the third shot. I felt some relief, but as of last week my head aches, I still have severe pain in knee (just not as severe), and my knee still buckles with pain when walking. And now I have back pain and it's constant. I don't know if it's from cortisone, but I also have the sweats people have mentioned. I only went online to see if cortisone is associated with back pain, but found this forum, and decided to see what others were saying. Now I have a better understanding of what goes on with these shots, as it was not explained in advance by doctors what to expect. My doctor says I'll definitely need a knee replacement, just don't know when.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 28

I feel like I am losing my mind. After reading so many people's reactions to cortisone shots maybe now I know what has been causing me issues. I had a cortisone shot in my knee about 3 weeks ago. I have been perspiring to the point where it is dripping down my face. I have been having muscle cramps or charley horse type of incidents all over my body. I have had them in my foot, my arms, legs, hands, stomach, and even my jaw. I now have a rash on the knee I had the injection in but I also have a rash all of my arm on the opposite side. And, I have this incredible appetite. I see my doctor next week and will discuss all of this.

Comment from: Speechie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had several cortisone shots for pain in my shoulder, foot, and knee in the past. It's been at least a year since my last shot but got one the other day. The shot itself was not painful and there was much improvement in the knee. New side effect was very flushed face as if I have sun or wind burn. It's been 2 days now and it seems to be a tiny bit improved but this has never happened before. I don't have a fever and haven't been outdoors so it can only be attributed to the shot. Otherwise all good!

Comment from: kazzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a steroid injection into my foot on Tuesday (it's now Friday) for Morton's neuroma but have never experienced so much pain. I can hardly walk and the area around the injection site is sore and cannot be touched. I will not be having another cortisone injection.

Comment from: smurph, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had a cortisone injection into my shoulder 2 days ago. It's so painful to move or lift. I am now on the third day and it is still painful but hope it works in the long run.

Comment from: PG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had a cortisone shot yesterday in my toe and the pain from the shot was excruciating! My foot did feel worse yesterday but is feeling a bit better today.

Comment from: helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had 2 shots of cortisone on my knee. I am waiting for a knee replacement. I have had no bad experience with either shot, but the effect only lasts about 2 months.

Comment from: Jesmalls, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee three days ago due to severe pain. The injection was no big deal, just a little sting. Within hours I begin feeling much better and three days later I'm great. I hope it lasts a long time.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.