Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Mrs mum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a left knee injury in 2011. In 2016, line dancing flared the injury, torn cartilage in two places, and cyst behind knee. I had one month of anti-inflammatory medicine but my knee was still swollen and I was limping with pain. I had cortisone injection on Tuesday, by an orthopedic doctor, on Wednesday I was out of bed, no pain, and could walk without a limp. Wow. Thursday all good, swelling still but no pain. Doctor said with arthroscopic clean knee next month, he will fix it all up for me. I am feeling great after so long with knee pain.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have a torn meniscus and arthritis in my left knee. I had MRI and was referred to orthopedic doctor. He talked me into a cortisone injection even though I was wary of it. The injection itself didn't hurt at all. I didn't notice the effects until later in the evening when I got a severe headache and lower backache. I slept 2.5 hours last night and am not feeling like I'll get much again tonight. The leg has pains shooting up and down from the knee. I'm severely thirsty, and having weird muscle spasms in various parts of my body. I'm agitated, jittery, angry, and very anxious. Even if my knee pain was gone, which it isn't at all, I will never have one again. I called the orthopedist and they said I was having a systemic reaction to the injection.

Comment from: Dianne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had an arthroscopic surgery 2 and half months ago. I had a torn meniscus, arthritis and damaged cartilage. I was having a lot of pain and swelling, so a month ago my surgeon drained the fluid out of my knee and gave me a cortisone injection into the knee joint. I immediately got a headache, my blood pressure went through the roof, and my pulse raced. This was a month ago and my pulse is still racing, I am having trouble sleeping and feel anxious all the time. My knee still is sore and is filled with fluid again. My surgeon wanted to give me another cortisone injection but I refused to let him. He said the side effects I described to him would not be still going on now and says I need to see my general physician in case I have a heart problem. I still think it is a reaction to the cortisone but will go see what my doctor thinks.

Comment from: Arwen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have cortisone injections in my right big toe. I get them every three months for pain. I used to have a six month injection but it wasn't lasting long enough. I have had very hard pain from the injection site, and minimal pain with others. The pains last twenty four hours and at times it is unbearable. My foot swells, site is red and tender. Two days later I am able to walk again and wear my shoes. The joint is pushed off so it's like my toe is turned in. Surgery is an option to have the joint fused, but I am not ready for that drastic step.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Within 24 hours after a cortisone injection my face was very red the next day it was worse, but by the third day it was back to normal. I had injection for tendonitis of thumb. It is now four days since the injection and I am getting electric shocks like feeling in the thumb when I touch it!

Comment from: Hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have both knee and hip osteoarthritis and the doctor is unable to tell me what I should do finally relieve myself of all the pain I have in trying to walk, rise from sitting, getting into and out of the car. I have had cortisone shots in my knees that were wonderful with minimal pain. But yesterday I had shots in both hips, it was very painful about ten hours later on right side, I could not sleep, placed ice packs on front and back of the hip, took two Tylenol PM, and still could not sleep. I spent an awful night, did nothing today and am feeling much better, but still not as much relief so far as with the knee injections I had. I hope it improves and sheds some light as to what the worst joints are, because x-rays show knees are close to bone on bone. Hips are getting there. Getting older is certainly no fun!

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.