Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: kas2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had degenerative joint disease (DJD) of the right knee for some years. The joint itself is unstable and puts stress on the soft tissues surrounding it. First time I had steroid injection was for bursitis in the lower anterior leg. It was like a miracle. I had nearly 8 months of full relief from all aches and pains (I also have fibromyalgia). I"ve endured a few years of moderate pain, knowing steroids are not a first line medication. Recently the above condition was unbearable. My physiatrist administered the shot painlessly (both times) and I now have my life back. I don"t know how often I will be able to get this but I am extremely grateful for the relief I have received. I had a little trouble sleeping for 2-3 days. After that - heaven.

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Last week I had a cortisone injection in my right hip. Since that injection I have been close to pain free. I do take 500 mg of naproxen as well, but the cortisone definitely helped alleviate the pain. Before the injection I was taking 1000 mg and it wasn"t masking the pain. Eventually, I will need a full hip replacement, but at least this will give me more time before that next step.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I just got my cortisone injection in my ankle for a swollen tendon after ankle fracture surgery almost a year ago, and so far no reactions to it, but it burned so badly going in I screamed!

Comment from: christaroth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had 3 steroid injections over a period of about 20 years. The first was for bursitis on my elbow; the second was for lower back pain; the third, recently, was for shoulder pain. Each one has been extremely painful, to the extent that I was reluctant to have the latest and only agreed when the doctor told me he would do it carefully and there would be no pain, but there was. I also experience several hours of severe pain after the injections as the cortisone disperses. None of them have given me more than a few hours of relief and then the original pain reappears.

Comment from: fab44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had cortisone injections in my hip joint for 3 years. The first one lasted about 6 months, the second one about 9 and the third one about 1 year. The last one I had at a different hospital under a different doctor and it only lasted 3 months and hasn"t been very good the last 2 months-I don"t think he put in as much cortisone. I will be going back to my previous doctor for the next one. I do have some side effects the first few days, like hot flashes, unable to sleep well, but then it goes away. I have gained about 10 lb. in three years but that also could be due to less activity when my hip is bothering me, I"m not sure. The only alternative is hip replacement and I"m too young (51) I feel, for that yet.

Comment from: Danielle34, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

If you go to the emergency room (ER) they will flush you out with an IV of water. Just drink lots and lots of water like a gallon. You will get great relief. Great results with the cortisone injections for trigger points in my shoulder/neck area post shoulder surgery. I tried massage/chiropractor 3 times a week for 3 months with no success until cortisone injections. Side effects are awful headaches, feeling on edge, angry, hot, red hot face on the side injections were given. Every time my side effects start increasing I start flushing with water, it works great.

Comment from: Jenn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had a cortisone injection for a trigger finger two days ago. The first day the area was very tender. I applied ice a couple of times and it helped. Yesterday morning I woke up with major facial flushing, then sweating off and on all day. As the day progressed, my head started to feel very full and I experienced chills. It was a little concerning but it eventually passed. This morning I am a little flushed and I feel like I had a lot of caffeine but the head sensation has gone.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee