Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Anne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a cortisone injection in my left hip 7 months ago. I had good relief from the pain. But I also have had flushed face and hot flashes that have been terrible and have lasted all this time. The face flushing continues to this day. The hot flashes are better but I do wake up with damp night gown and sheets. The face flushes last hours. I also have had a yeast infection. Doctors say they have not ever heard of these side effects lasting this long. Would like to hear from people who have had similar side effects. I would like to have this medicine now off my system before I have my surgery.

Comment from: Betsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had lost my cartilage between my ankle joints. It was bone on bones. My new doctor found this out by an x-ray. He sent me to a local hospital where they use an x-ray machine to make sure the cortisone injection goes to the exact spot. I had it yesterday and this morning. I didn't need my cane. Most of the pain is now gone after 3 years of misery!

Comment from: Jenny234, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

Every 4 months I have a cortisone injection in my right knee, it really helps as I hike and ski. No problems. I have had 2 rounds of lower back injections, 3 on each side of my spine, total of 6 injections as well as the shots for the pain before the cortisone. I have only partial relief, and only for about 3 months. It's too much expense and pain for just 3 months. Also I am experiencing weight gain and increased appetite for the first time in my life. After doing some research it appears that is a side effect for the cortisone injections. I do not plan on any more in my back, will continue them for my right knee to avoid knee replacement for now.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.