Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: Hana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a steroid shot done on Friday night. After there was a short lived relief because of anesthetic and then it seems like all hell broke loose. Today is Monday night and I am still in horrible pain. The doctor just told me to take an ibuprofen which provides some relief but not much. I still can't walk and have horrible mood swings and pains still waiting for the relief. Hopefully this cortisone shot was worth it.

Comment from: Loisann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a cortisone injection in my hip 10 days ago. I am so disappointed that it did not work. I don't know if I should have a 2nd injection. My surgery is not scheduled until May 21st. The pain is really horrid.

Comment from: Oma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 26

The shot in my knee was painful but didn"t last long, no problem. But afterwards I experienced the worst pain I have ever known. It lasted about an hour and a half. I am not sure yet if it did any good long term.

Comment from: tennisplayer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had 2 cortisone shots in a month's time, in my foot. First shot helped for a few days but pain returned. I had some flushing of face but didn"t bother me. With the second shot I have severe flushing of the face and sleeplessness. It feels like a really bad sunburn.

Comment from: Chapster, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I have torn meniscus in both knees which made walking painful. I received cortisone injections every 6 months for 18 months. My knee immediately stopped hurting. After the third injection my knee has stopped hurting for 3 years and counting.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had been suffering with pain in my left shoulder for a few weeks, but it was tolerable. Then about two weeks ago I could not lift my left arm, the pain was terrible. I had called an orthopedic doctor because the pain got so bad, but I did not get an appointment for three days. I did receive a cortisone shot in my shoulder after having x-rays. I have a tear in my rotor cuff. For six days I felt really good, was able to do whatever I had to do. This past Friday it started all over again, severe pain in my left shoulder. I have been taking a lot of ibuprofen for the pain, but it doesn't really help much. Tomorrow I will call the doctor's office and hope I can get an appointment for tomorrow or Tuesday. I doubt he will give me another shot of cortisone so soon, but I don't know what to do for the pain. I am so limited about doing simple things around the house.

Comment from: mia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I have had many injections of cortisone as I have spinal stenosis and I would not be able to walk without them, they have helped me significantly and will continue them as long as I must, had no side effects at all.

Comment from: jackieblackmore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was experiencing pain in my big toe joint. As a person who didn't like to bother my general physician, I put up with it for many months. When it got to the point it was unbearable I sought help. I had an injection into the joint. I can honestly say, whilst the procedure was very painful it has worked miracles! I would advise anyone suffering like this to give it a try.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had injections in both feet for plantar fasciitis. It did help and was worth it. However the consultant warned me I might feel "a bit tired and emotional" after the injection and he was quite right; it is very painful and I wanted to curl up afterwards and feel sorry for myself. But a few days later one of my feet was certainly better.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee