Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Scared, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I went to the doctor with horrible back spasms and pain when I tried to take a breath. They gave me one prednisone shot and other steroid shot, gave me pain medications and muscle relaxers and sent me home. Two days later I started coughing up blood. Mostly just streaks at first, then more of what looked like blood clots. Back to the doctor, and they gave me antibiotics and a codeine cough medicine. No culture or anything to figure out the problem. Three days later, I'm still coughing up blood. I started reading about prednisone's side effects and learned the blood in the phlegm could be caused by taking aspirin while the prednisone was in my system. No one at the doctor's office asked what medication I was taking, and no one mentioned aspirin or NSAIDS. Now I'm afraid to go back to my doctor and I can't afford the emergency room (no health insurance, can't afford that, either). One thing's for sure, I'll never allow anyone to give me steroids again.

Comment from: pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

This the second year that I get injections, and never had any pain with the injections. I'm feeling great, and have no side effects.

Comment from: Roar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a cortisone to my knee for the first time. The shot hurt but not too bad. That night I did not feel well. I felt like I had the flu and I had major diarrhea. This lasted for about 4 or 5 days. I thought I had the flu but no one in my house showed any symptoms of having the flu. I think I am allergic to the shot. In addition, my knee is in worse pain than before! I am a healthy adult who is not taking any other medications. I do not know if this is a side effect but I am going on the 9th day and still not feeling that great! Never again!

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I have degenerative joint issue that has attacked my shoulders and knees and I have had several surgeries including a reverse total shoulder. I have had multiple cortisone injections and they are wonderful for a short term relief of about three to four months. It is an excellent starting point to address joint inflammation issues. I have had little if any issues when taking injections. My last injections both knees and a shoulder was yesterday with no side effects.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had both my knees injected with cortisone yesterday. Previously I've had one done on each visit. I experienced insomnia last night and extreme sweating. This morning my face was red. Fortunately I went to this website and confirmed my suspicions that it was a reaction to the cortisone. I obviously need to return to having one knee injected at each visit.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had cortisone shots in my knee about 4 times. The only thing that hurt was the shot itself, I had no side effects ever. But today I got a cortisone shot in my shoulder and almost immediately I got dizzy, felt confused, had nausea, and the room was spinning. I was taken back into doctor's room, told to lie down, and was given some apple juice. After about 45 minutes I felt a little better, came home, and had to lay down because now I had a headache. It's been 11 hours and I still have a headache, still feel very nauseous, and feel very queasy. I was never told about these side effects. I do not think I will ever get a cortisone shot again.

Comment from: RonP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I received two cortisone shots in my neck yesterday and wanted to share the experience and side effects. Overall it was not as painful as I feared, kind of like a dental shot. The side effects experienced in order of significance were, sore neck from injection sites, hiccups (believe it or not), Indigestion, and mild insomnia. To my surprise the pain down my arm immediately went away and is still gone about 36 hours later. I had no headaches, rashes or pain other than injection site soreness. Overall it was a good experience.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.