Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

One week ago, I received an injection in my shoulder for arthritis and bone spurs. No MRI was done beforehand... just X-rays. Within two hours, I got the worst headache I have ever had. The doctor called in nausea and pain meds. It feels like my brain is on fire. My body is covered in a super red flush. This itching is unbearable, I cannot sleep, and the sweating is unbearable. I can lift my arm over my head now, but I cannot get it down without it hanging up. I am still swollen all over. Mental confusion and mood changes have made me a mean person at work. It's not my style. (I am a surgical vet tech.) The doctor doesn't seem concerned. He needs to be in this body. I will not do this again!

Published: July 22

I have had 3 injections for immense pain radiating from elbow to wrist/hand and shoulder. First injection was a god send with no side effects and next-day relief. With my second injection I experienced absolutely horrible pain in the entire arm the day following injection. Once that subsided I was again pain free for about 6 months. I just recently received my third injection. I was dreading this one having experienced the day-after pain from previous one, but I had mild discomfort the day after and much improvement since. I did run a 101 fever the following day which I am not sure was related to injection or not. The injections themselves have not been painful; I credit that to the physician's ability.

Comment from: Cajun57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I just got two cortisone injections yesterday. One in my rotor cuff in my right arm for tendonitis, and one in my right knee for arthritis. It hurt really badly. It also was painful that day. The next day I felt great, and could walk normally. The doctor told me it would get worse before it would get better. He said it takes 48 hours to start working.

Comment from: GHHD, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I received an epidural corticosteroid injection several weeks ago for radiating pain down my leg. The positive effects were initially only minimal, and since the injection I have experienced progressive deterioration in my symptoms of pain. In addition to this I have experienced intermittent headaches and unexplained itching on parts of my extremities.

Comment from: Phyllis, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had Cortizone injection in my shoulder by ultrasound, twice for broken tendon. I had immediate relief and absolutely no problems.

Comment from: mamaflo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had my 3rd cortisone injection, first 2 no problems, now it's been 7 hours since the last injection. I have a pounding headache that ibuprofen didn't touch, and cold sweats... ugh!

Comment from: jec1981, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I have two severe rotator cuff injuries and have been told I need to have both shoulders replaced. I was advised that traditional replacement would not work for me because of my age and would have to have reverse shoulder prosthesis on both shoulder performed. I chose not to do either because I am a care giver with no support for my wife who is a quadriplegic who needs me. I have been getting injections in both shoulders for over 3 years which generally are painless and last about 4 to 6 months with good results. I will continue until I they no longer work.

Comment from: Zee1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I found my injection was very painful. Even the day after my knee swelling has gone down after 5 lots of fluid were removed, but now my pain is a dull throbbing pain. I am struggling to walk. Hope this subsides but it is trauma to my knee which I was expecting.

Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee