Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Silverwingsflying, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have bursitis in my left hip. I had surgery to remove a bursa after several cortisone shots five months ago. This is a surgery rarely done. My hip started hurting so bad this weekend, with pain would shooting from my hip down to my foot. Ice and pain medication did not help. Today I had another shot. It hurts so bad that I screamed and cried, I did not do this with other shots. Doctor said it was very inflamed. Skin was warm to touch. Shot did help after three hours. Now I have an awful headache. I also have torn meniscus in my right knee. I had cortisone shot two weeks ago, but it did not help very much. Also had an awful headache afterwards.

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Within two hours of having a cortisone injection for arthritis in my shoulder I had extreme pain which lasted for about 8 hours. The next day I woke with some relief from my shoulder pain, but that night my face was swollen and bright red. It is now the third day and I still have some facial redness and itching on my arms. My shoulder pain is already greatly relieved and I have a much greater range of motion in my shoulder.

Comment from: Gracehilda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

Cortizone injection caused bleeding in my urine and I had heavy bleeding period after not having a period in 10 years.

Comment from: Charlie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had a steroid injection in my left knee two and a half weeks ago, the pain and swelling since that time is unbearable and consultant could not give me an explanation for this. I am to have an operation to investigate the problem in a week.

Comment from: anonymous, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I recently had a cortisone shot in my knee. My doctor did not mention any of the side effects that I experienced and are mentioned in the other submissions in this post. I had extreme nausea and headaches for 3 days, very, very strong hot flashes, face flushing and heart palpitations. I contacted the orthopedist and my primary doctor and they both said that could happen, and will calm down after a few days. Those few days were very long and scary. I do not feel confident that the shot is going to help, rather it may be masking the pain. I am starting to feel some of the same aches and pains that I started with, just 2 days ago. I am not pleased.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have lower back problems and have recently had a sacroiliac joint injected with cortisone guided by a CT scanner. Twenty four hours later I was experiencing hot flushed cheeks and mild headache which I had no idea was connected to the injection but eventually I guessed it might be. A pharmacist agreed it was related and advised taking an antihistamine to get it calmed down. I am fine now and already finding relief from the injection. Long may it last!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

My first time for cortisone injections was one in each shoulder. Now, it's five days later. The first morning, and every morning since, I get several calls from nature to the bathroom. Each time, I'm excreting a clear liquid, followed a couple hours later by an actual bowel movement. The first night, I had insomnia and a couple of hallucinations of bright colors. Last night was the first night without a hallucination. Bowel problems continue. I'm thinking much of the cortisone ended up in my bloodstream. Shoulders don't feel much better.

Comment from: kmcd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

This is my third cortisone injection in two years. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I had an injection yesterday. I had pain at the injection sight and knee area last night, and insomnia. Twelve hours after injection I have face flushing and water retention.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.