Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have L3, L4 and L5 lower back pain that shoots into my right gluteus making me hobble like I'm much older. I had back surgery 18 months ago. Not much help and the recovery of 8 to 12 weeks was not fun. I had 6 cortisone injections, x-ray guided by an orthopedic surgeon yesterday at 10 am. I too woke up at 2 am and that was all the sleep I got last night. I am very hot but no temperature. My pain is gone! I was on Celebrex for 2 years with limited relief. I had soreness at the injection site last night relieved with cold packs and Tylenol. These injections didn't work pre-surgery but they work now, due to different areas being injected. I feel like a new gal today and the thirst and dry mouth may be a product of the high body temperature due to the steroid. It should alleviate soon. Pain free is worth it!

Comment from: cj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I received a hip shot two days ago under general anesthesia. I had a lot of pain before the shot and could hardly walk. I have pins in the same hip from a fall as a child so my doctor is very particular about my receiving the cortisone injection in a hospital. The day of the shot my pain subsided considerably. I know that I am not moving as much as I should but the pain is still there, just not as bad as before. This was my 3rd injection and my primary doctor has scheduled me for physical therapy. I am ready to move, walk and feel better.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder on Thursday for frozen shoulder. I had a lot more movement after about an hour and less pain, and I got some sleep that night for the first time in a long time. Friday, I had a pain free day at work. Saturday I felt some gradual pain building in my back, and that night I had not much sleep because of the pain. My shoulder is still pretty good, and the doctor said I would get some pain over the weekend. I don't know why the pain is in my back now, I hope the pain goes soon.

Comment from: davis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder one week ago. I had severe reddening of the face and hot sweats at night for 2 days. That resolved and now 1 week later I have a severe pain in the right side of my face. I was diagnosed today with trigeminal neuralgia, I have never had any medical problems in my life, take no medications, hike mountains daily, go to the gym, and this came out of nowhere and on the same side as my shoulder injection. I think this is related to the injection.

Comment from: ED, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

I get cortisone shot about every 3 or 4 months. They work great. Just a little needle sting like any shot and I have instant relief. Keeps me playing racquetball 3 times a week. I also have almost bone on bone in my right knee.

Comment from: xerxes, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

My first cortisone injection for osteoarthritis in my knee (have it in both knees but far worse in the left) was three months ago. The injection was relatively painless. For about three and half weeks there was no change whatever. A sudden almost overnight improvement to what felt like a new knee. Three and half months later, pain came back as rapidly as it had left. I had second injection today in the same knee. I am awaiting results. The procedure was, in my view a success, well worthwhile.

Comment from: nikki0102, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

In my experience with cortisone injection my pain in my elbow stopped for 8 weeks and started back up. Side effects were very bad, dizziness shortness of breath, pressure went up, and now my skin peeled off on the area of injection and is discolored in a circular area of my right elbow exactly where doctor injected me with Kenalog-lidocaine mixed.

Comment from: misstom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had my first cortisone shot three days ago into my shoulder. I experienced dizziness, hot flashes, flushing, tongue tingling and shortness of breath on an off since then. The pain in my shoulder is mostly gone though. I will not do this type of shot again. The shortness of breath is making me too anxious.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.