Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Comment from: chops, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have had 2 sets of shots in L4 and L5 facet joints. First time I had severe heart palpitations, but not so bad on 2nd set of shots. The shots were in June 2014 and October 2014. I have had itchy skin on my face and chest, also fatigue, stomach aches, hot and cold flushes. It did help with my back problem. I don't know what is worse, all the side effects or the back aches.

Comment from: exsmokerme, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I got a cortisone shot on my right knee and it did help the pain. That night I felt cold and shivery for a while. I did have flushing redness in my face and I felt warm (the next day). I felt a little 'off' for a few days just not normal.

Comment from: attackedbybursitis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I have been suffering from shoulder bursitis for almost a year now. Nothing has helped; physiotherapy, anti-inflammatory medicines. Finally I got a cortisone Injection yesterday. It was absolutely painless. I did not even feel any pressure. Only a pinching of needle. It has been 24 hours and I have noticed no difference whatsoever. Neither better nor worse. After one week, my rehabilitation program will begin also. The ultrasound showed that I have impingement.

Comment from: Kimk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was afraid to get a cortisone shot for the Morton's neuroma I was diagnosed with. I was told by some people that the shot was painful. I didn't get a numbing shot before the injection. Well, I had the shot and it didn't hurt at all! The area was bruised and was slightly sore after the shot, but it wasn't bad. Since I had it 2 days ago, I am waiting to see how well it helps.

Comment from: Missy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 25

My lower back cortisone shot helped me a lot even with knee pain. I had a sleepless night, headache the next day and heartburn for 48 hours.

Comment from: liban, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had my appendix out at the age of 13, and this made Addison's show. I as skinny, very dark skinned, and could hardly eat anything even if I fancied it because of nausea. My doctor sent me to my local hospital, who tested everything and I had multiple scans, but couldn't find the source of the problem. They thought I was anorexic, and were happy to send me home with details for this. However, my mum persisted, and they referred me to a different hospital with specialists. The minute I walked into my appointment, he diagnosed me instantly with Addison's disease. I am now getting treated, and have been on medications for nearly 14 years. I also have hypothyroidism. My message is, don't give up, and don't just trust one opinion. I would be very ill or worse if it wasn't for my mum.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had a cortisone injection in my foot yesterday. Later on that night my foot swelled and had swelling in lower and upper leg. By morning the swelling went down, but face has something like a red rash on cheeks.

Comment from: CD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

Last year I had a cortisone shot for knee pain. It lasted a year. Finally the pain came back, so 2 weeks ago I had a second shot. These are the side effects I noticed this time: red face that lasted around 4 days, did not sleep well 4 to 6 days, skin got very dry, I became somewhat constipated for at least a week, and also I became very impatient and easily irritable. Also but possibly coincidentally I noticed both times it lowered my resistance and I had a skin virus out break after 2 weeks.

Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.