Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: ANGEL, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 23

I received a cortisone shot in my left knee today. This evening I started experiencing foot and shin cramps. It happened before when I received a cortisone shot in my left toe several weeks ago.

Comment from: Sanlaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been receiving cortisone shots to both my knees every 3 months. They have worked very well for relieving the pain. My problem is every 3 months is too long. I feel I need them more frequently.

Comment from: Vegasgirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I had a cortisone injection in my knee 5 days ago. On the second and third days my leg was hurting so bad I had to use crutches. Yesterday and today my leg is on fire, but not red or swollen. Also when I stand I have the sensation of cold water running down the lower leg. Also my blood pressure has been high, 179/90. I wish I had never had this shot.

Comment from: larrym3711, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I just had a cortisone shot in both knees. I had immediate relief and walked out of the doctor's office pain free. Later the pain resumed somewhat, but not much. I need 3 or 4 more days for the final kick-in of the medicine. The shot was painless and I had no other after-effects (swelling, additional pain, etc.). I slept well the first night and am resuming most of my normal daily activity pain free today. I am otherwise in good health and not allergic to anything.

Comment from: tookie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I received a cortisone injection in my right hip on December 23, 2016. The injection was not painful and I had immediate relief. That evening I started with flu like symptoms; flushing in my face. I thought I was running fever. I had normal temperature. At bedtime, I had headache, nausea, flushing, insomnia, sour stomach, lack of appetite, and high blood pressure. This is the second time in 2 years that I had this injection in my hip. I did not experience the side effects the first time.

Comment from: Fran, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I injured my left knee and had to get steroid injections. When the doctor administered my cortisone shot in my left knee, it was virtually pain free. I sat on edge of table and hung my knee over. She just inserted the injection in the middle of my knee cap and it was fine! No pain. Yesterday I had to return for another shot after 6 months. I got the doctor's assistant. She laid me down on the table, and mixed the shot there in the room and injected it in the side of my knee. It was on the good side that she injected. It was very painful. I had mentioned that the doctor had just sat me on the table and injected it that way. Well, she said, I have my own method. I will not return to her again. I will have the doctor administer the shot.

Comment from: free93, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had the corticosteroid hip injection. It was all around positive experience. An hour after the procedure, I did 2 hours of yard work and felt great! I was pain free for 4 months.

Comment from: Jeff, Published: September 27

While working on the farm I was using my right leg as a tool to apply pressure on an object which needed moving but had a great deal of resistance. I felt as if I had been shot and honestly believe I heard my hamstring pop. The pain was unbelievable and I remember thinking of the football players I have seen double in pain from hamstring injuries on TV. I understand why they are sometimes carried off of the field on a stretcher following such an injury.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?