Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: snapper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been going to a bone and joint clinic since 2009 to have cortisone injections done on my right knee (osteoarthritis). I am not a diabetic, I would have the injections twice a year, never a problem, and done extremely well with these shots. I had received my injection for my right knee in January, 2014, but in February, 2014 my left knee popped and the pain became unbearable. I went to the bone and joint clinic and was given an injection in my left knee, which I have never had any problems with until then. After receiving the shot in left knee everything was fine, until an hour and half later when the pain in my left knee became so unbearable that I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I was given pain medication and sent home, pain never eased up. The next day I was taken back to the hospital, given different mediations and sent home. I went to my primary doctor the next day and was given additional pain medications. I went back to the hospital that night and was given an ultra sound on left leg to make sure there was no blood clots, and x-rays. I was taken off from work for three weeks due to severe pain. I have gone to a neurologist and was diagnosed with left lower extremity weakness and was told there was nothing that he could do for me. I am now being sent to surgeon. I still suffer with numbness underneath my left foot, with burning, throbbing, with bubble feeling under my foot and I suffer with frozen feeling toes at all times; I still have chronic pain in my foot.

Comment from: C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had a cortisone shot in my knee 2 days ago. Cortisone has helped greatly with osteoarthritis in my hip and knee, also an Achilles tendon issue from years ago that caused pain and limping which cortisone seems to have cured. I have not had another shot in my hip as the pain never returned. I experienced some pain during this injection but it"s worth it as the swelling goes down and pain leaves my knee soon. I did have some pain and swelling at the injection sight for 24 hours, requiring some ice and rest. My mouth and throat were also very dry the first night. No other side effects noted.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had one cortisone injection in my knee to alleviate pain and inflammation from a medial meniscus tear. The only side effect was total alleviation of pain. This lasted about four months. I am starting to feel some twinges again but it"s not nearly as bad as it was before the shot. The shot itself was no big deal.

Comment from: Teresa 3311, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had injections in my knee that seemed to work just fine without side effects. I have recently had a sacroiliac (SI) joint injection two times and have had all kinds of side effects from the steroids. Yeast infection, vision changes, pain, sweating and hot flashes, not to mention eating like a horse. I will not be having the third injection. Also my doctor seemed to like to blackmail me with my medications over these injections... they must be charging an arm and a leg for them. No thanks! Not for me!

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Cortisone injections on my knees keeps me walking pain free for a few months. Before getting them I heard horror stories about how painful they are but I can say for sure those stories are untrue. There is a mild sting when the needle enters but that"s it. The shots seem to take effect within a couple of days but sometimes I feel relief instantly.

Comment from: female patient, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 31

I had my first cortisone shot two days ago for fluid buildup behind right knee (Baker's cyst). I experienced bad pain and swelling a few hours afterward that lasted through night. I couldn"t put weight on the leg. The pain is gone and I no longer feel pain behind my knee when driving, sitting. However, my knee, leg area above knee are still very tight and swollen. I feel like my entire leg was injected with liquid foam. I'm limping and can't really bend my knee easily. I was told it is a flare-up and could last 5 to 7 days. I don't think I will opt for another shot.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?