Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Ronj, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I am 80 years old and have been taking cortisone shots three times a year for four years. The cortisone is a miracle drug. I have severe arthritis and almost bone to bone. After the shots the pain is almost all gone. After the shots wear off I can barely get out of a chair. After the shots I am active again.

Comment from: Belinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My first and last experience with hip cortisone injection. I had immediate nauseous feeling which continued for several days, hot sweats, severe pain in my whole body, headaches, extreme kidney pain, facial rash, plus I was freezing, shaking with cold.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 13

I was given my first cortisone shot in my knee to relieve pain, one year following a fracture in my tibia bone at the knee joint. Shortly thereafter I had pain in the foot on that same leg. Now I have a ruptured tibialis posterior tendon that is not healing and surgery has many risks. So what was a knee issue is now something that has made walking very difficult. We are recently retired with many of our dreams for our senior years lost. I was not warned of the risks of cortisone shots and wish I'd never had it.

Comment from: goulot98, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I got a cortisone shot 21 days ago. The doctor said that the pain would go away in a few days. It did; for a couple of days my knee did not hurt at all. After that it started hurting as much as before, for a few days; then the pain went away. Three days ago, I was about to work three hours in the garden (transplanting tomatoes and eggplants; turning the ground to plant beans, etc. So I am ok, except for the rash that I have around, and mostly on the back of the affected knee. At first I thought I was allergic to the knee brace I had been wearing; however, without brace for several days the rash is still there, but not as bad as at first (at first it looked like hives; now it is just red). I expect it will go away. Since it does not hurt, I did not bother to call the doctor.

Comment from: StarFlower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I came here to review other folks after cortisone injection reactions to see if any of the ones I seemed to be having were common. It is 5 days post injections of cortisone to right knee for meniscus tear. I had extreme red cheeks and low grade fever and dull headache for two days, shortness of breath with exertion for 3 days. I am still having racing heart, and anxiety in my gut that is horrible and causing a bit of nausea, insomnia and feelings of dread. The first two days I was also freezing and starving which now is only sporadic and not constant. I also called my osteopath who told me that none of my reactions were from the injection, which I now think is hogwash. I just want it to be over with already!

Comment from: donnalease, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

My fiance got cortisone shots today in both knees now he is in terrible pain. I hate seeing him in pain.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?