Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a left hip cortisone injection two days ago. The procedure was unpleasant, but I have had wonderful relief. I have no pain now, and I didn't realize how I was so limited. I hope this lasts! Cautiously optimistic but don't want to jinx it!

Comment from: Marqueso, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I received a cortisone injection in each knee in early February. There must have been anesthetic in the shot because I had immediate, total relief which wore off in a day or so. Then I felt no improvement for almost 2 weeks. I had given up hope, but realized one day I was walking stairs with no pain! The inflammation I had had in the right knee, which prevented me from even getting into child's pose in yoga, was gone. From late February through all of March I was blissfully pain-free, doing every activity without symptoms. During April, little by little I started feeling that familiar ache again; now at the end of May it is as though I never had the shots at all. I will definitely get more; I have read 3 times a year is usually the maximum amount. If I can get two pain-free months each time, that equates to half of each year without pain! Thumbs up from me.

Comment from: Hola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had gone to see my doctor about some open sores, he gave me antibiotics, and sent me home. Well, that was May 9, I saw it wasn't getting better, so I went back to my doctor. I saw a different doctor who said it is a staph infection. Now it has spread to my face where they look like little red dots.

Comment from: joiseychick320, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in 2012 and had gotten 3 cortisone injections into my left knee. Prior to that I had 2 ganglion cysts that were removed as well as a meniscal tear that was repaired during the removal of the 2nd ganglion cyst. The pain in 2012 was so severe that I was starting to walk with a cane (age 50). The shots were a tremendous help and I've been pain free for the last 3.5 years. Recently after working out with a trainer who wanted me to deadlift a 15 lb kettlebell off the floor doing squats and helping my father move and doing physiotherapy, my left knee started acting up again. Yesterday I went to an orthopedic surgeon who wanted to give me Celebrex and I refused as I had a bleeding ulcer in my 20s so he reluctantly gave me a cortisone shot. My knee is still a little sore and thankfully I didn't have any side effects. Hoping this takes away the soreness in my knee. Unfortunately he told me that eventually I will probably have to have a full knee replacement by the time I am 65.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

The cortisone injection was painless. About 2 hours later the pain was intense, very bad. This lasted for a couple of hours and then started to decrease. I was barely able to walk for the next 15 hours, I couldn't bend my leg at all and no weight bearing. At 24 hours, less pain and stiffness than before the shot! My face is red now, one day later. I would do it again though. I would take extra pain reliever and make sure brace was on my knee after the shot. My knee is feeling much better!

Comment from: Sasha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a cortisone shot a week ago for really bad pain. As I suffer from fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and arthritis, I have been on 14 different medications in the last 2 years; some work and some didn't and the side effects are horrible. I had a shot in my right knee and it worked well for my knee and then I had a shot in my left hip and was pain free for 2 days. Now I am in worse pain than ever as I have pain not only in my hip but also my back side and my lower back and can hardly walk now. Wish I didn't get the shot in my hip.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?