Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: goulot98, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I got a cortisone shot 21 days ago. The doctor said that the pain would go away in a few days. It did; for a couple of days my knee did not hurt at all. After that it started hurting as much as before, for a few days; then the pain went away. Three days ago, I was about to work three hours in the garden (transplanting tomatoes and eggplants; turning the ground to plant beans, etc. So I am ok, except for the rash that I have around, and mostly on the back of the affected knee. At first I thought I was allergic to the knee brace I had been wearing; however, without brace for several days the rash is still there, but not as bad as at first (at first it looked like hives; now it is just red). I expect it will go away. Since it does not hurt, I did not bother to call the doctor.

Comment from: StarFlower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I came here to review other folks after cortisone injection reactions to see if any of the ones I seemed to be having were common. It is 5 days post injections of cortisone to right knee for meniscus tear. I had extreme red cheeks and low grade fever and dull headache for two days, shortness of breath with exertion for 3 days. I am still having racing heart, and anxiety in my gut that is horrible and causing a bit of nausea, insomnia and feelings of dread. The first two days I was also freezing and starving which now is only sporadic and not constant. I also called my osteopath who told me that none of my reactions were from the injection, which I now think is hogwash. I just want it to be over with already!

Comment from: Rebcox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

There is literally no cartilage left in my knees. I have been getting corticosteroid/steroid injections for about 4 years, every 4 or 5 months. My last two didn't seem to work as well but the injection do make a huge difference. I go from descending stairs one at a time with a death grip on the handrail to being able to carefully go down without handrails. Side effects for me are headache and insomnia for a few days. Next I hope to get insurance to approve hyaluronate gel injections. Several names make up the 'Visc' drug. It is known to last longer than steroid injections. Stay upright everyone and stretch those joint muscles.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Tomorrow will be one week since I got cortisone shots in both shoulders. I had terrible headache 6 hours later. I still have headache and nausea. I was up all night after the shot, vomiting, dry heaves, shaking, and scared to death. This is third time for shots. Every time I suffer with vomiting violently, high sugar, shaking, and nausea. I was in bed all day the second day. No sleep. I am finished with these shots. Being dehydrated, vomiting, high sugar, no sleep, suffering alone and scared; it's not worth it.

Comment from: lleichenberger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I got severe headache with cortisone knee injections. I received cortisone shots in both knees this morning; now I have a headache that even 2 extra strength headache capsules won't touch. I think last time when I just had on one knee I ended up with headache too, but not this severe. I did Synvisc 6 months ago with no relief from the pain. This is awful!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?