Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Hanginthere, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder for excruciating pain from tendinitis, bursitis, and adhesive capsulitis. I had immediate relief. However, I have been having a terrible time trying to sleep at night. Right now I am not working but I can't imagine having this sleep interruption and then having to get up early to work. I finally fell asleep last night at 4 am, and luckily got restorative sleep and woke up 8 hours later. Eight hours is my magic number for wellbeing. I had gone to bed at 12 midnight pleasantly exhausted from a day of hiking. But then I couldn't sleep. I had severe thirst and low grade anxiety. Also started out hot because I had taken a bath but then went to freezing. I felt pretty nauseous and toxic throughout my body. At one point I felt a little reflux from heartburn, and took some Tums which helped that problem. So I stayed up reading posts to see what others had experienced. Overall I felt very unsettled and can't wait till this foreign substance flushes through my system. The vast amounts of water (with added electrolytes) should help. I try not to just drink plain water when I have this abnormal thirst. I don't want to add hyponatremia to my list of problems.

Comment from: mommyof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I got a cortisone injection in my hip 2 days ago. I have had nausea and a headache ever since. Just today, I have had shortness of breath and pain in my ribs.

Comment from: LNS76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I received a cortisone shot in my knee and it was relatively painless. He numbed the injection site, I felt a little pressure during the injection, and I felt no pain afterward. I couldn't ask for a better experience.

Comment from: leelr, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I received 2 cortisone shots one in the knee the other in the hip bursa sac. Within a few hours I developed a severe headache, which even migraine medicine didn't help. It has lasted into the next day. I have been drinking lots of water to flush out the cortisone.

Comment from: Happygrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

When I first got cortisone injections there was no problem, but a little pain at the injection site. Now when I get the injection 24 hours later I have dry mouth, palpitation, headaches, I just don't feel well at all and this lasts for a week every time now. I am happy I don't have the pain, but the side effects are the worst. My doctor told me that what I am experiencing is not from the injection because this medicine is produced naturally in the body, but they don't happen till I have the shots. I am confused and miserable.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have pinched nerves on my upper back. I've had cortisone shots before and it was ok. But after the last one I had, on the way home I started to get sick to my stomach and then my head started spinning really fast, scared the life out of me. I don't know why it happened but I'll never have another shot again.

Comment from: the old dog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 11

After reading some of the after effects of a cortisone injection, I can feel for people that continue to have pain in the knee. Evidently it has to do with the doctor and the placement of the needle. For me, after receiving an injection of cortisone, the pain was gone, and I walked out of the clinic pain free. With a bit of luck the injection will last 6 months, and should it return, I will be able to get another injection. Having the option of a knee replacement or a shot, I went with the shot, glad I did.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?