Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Nimtun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Five weeks ago I had my knee drained and cortisone was injected (without my knowing, I was told it was a pain killer). Walking out of the doctor's office, I was fine. That night I experienced 8 to 10 pain in my knee and leg. It has been five weeks and I am just now able to walk a bit. I have lost innumerable hours of sleep and my life has been ruined. Prior to the shot, I was walking the dog 5 to 6 miles a day with minimal pain. I have damage to the knee, but I was able to deal with the pain and was hoping that I could continue and wait for medical advances that would eliminate a partial or total knee replacement. Now I am uncertain what my future holds. The dog hates me and life is awful. Cortisone is really terrible!

Comment from: Charlie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I got a cortisone shot in my hip on Thursday and by Friday I had a bad case of hives or rosacea on my face. I wonder if this is a side effect and if I need to be concerned. I am a little hot, no fever and I have had some trouble sleeping.

Comment from: Grants, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was having substantial pain in my knee below the kneecap. I was offered many options including a cortisone shot. I chose the shot and it has been a week and a half with no pain. I am hoping it lasts, and most definitely I would choose this route again.

Comment from: Heidi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have patellofemoral arthritis and my earliest memory around 3 years old is my knees aching. I just had cortisone shots in both knees on Monday afternoon (today is Wednesday), and experienced debilitating pain in both knees, including a major migraine, later that evening and the following day. Only 3 hydromorphone could cut through the pain. I am not sure why the pain is so severe after the shots as the needle and shot itself don't bother me at all. I will suffer the short term pain for the benefit the cortisone offers. I'm able to get up and down from my chair at work, and go up and down the stairs with basically no pain for the next 2 /12 to 3 months so I will keep this up as long as possible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had a cortisone shot in my knee for chronic pain from a fall. As soon as I left the office I felt lightheaded and had trouble breathing. My upper back was in extreme pain. I returned to the office and it took a good 25 to 30 minutes for me to begin to feel normal again. The doctor wasn't sure what happened because this shot is localized. I have never been diagnosed with any allergies but we came to the conclusion that there was something in this shot that I reacted to. I have a high tolerance to pain and really didn't react to the shot itself, it was a reaction after the shot. My back still hurts.

Comment from: Leon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had two cortisone shots to my back and they wore off in two weeks.

Comment from: Marhoo1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

Whenever I get a cortisone injection in one of my knees, not only do I have heavy sweating and insomnia, I get a terrible headache for about 4 days and nothing helps relieve it.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?