Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Happygrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

When I first got cortisone injections there was no problem, but a little pain at the injection site. Now when I get the injection 24 hours later I have dry mouth, palpitation, headaches, I just don't feel well at all and this lasts for a week every time now. I am happy I don't have the pain, but the side effects are the worst. My doctor told me that what I am experiencing is not from the injection because this medicine is produced naturally in the body, but they don't happen till I have the shots. I am confused and miserable.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have pinched nerves on my upper back. I've had cortisone shots before and it was ok. But after the last one I had, on the way home I started to get sick to my stomach and then my head started spinning really fast, scared the life out of me. I don't know why it happened but I'll never have another shot again.

Comment from: the old dog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 11

After reading some of the after effects of a cortisone injection, I can feel for people that continue to have pain in the knee. Evidently it has to do with the doctor and the placement of the needle. For me, after receiving an injection of cortisone, the pain was gone, and I walked out of the clinic pain free. With a bit of luck the injection will last 6 months, and should it return, I will be able to get another injection. Having the option of a knee replacement or a shot, I went with the shot, glad I did.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a cortisone shot today in my knee; first ever. I cannot sleep, my heart is pounding and I have a horrible headache. On the plus side, the pain in my knee is 80 percent better! Just not sure what to do about the other side effects here at 1:30 in the morning.

Comment from: shartrandditto, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have drastic mood swings with my cortisone shot! I got a shot in both knees, thinking I could handle the mood swings. I can't! I got the shots a week ago. My knees feel like Jell-O, not painful but very unsteady. I had insomnia, night and day sweats, and from anger to crying spells. I'll take the pain! I never want to go through this again.

Comment from: alan, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 21

I have had three cortisone injections but after the last one my tennis elbow has given me more pain than ever before. My tennis elbow was caused because I fish a lot and have had to stop because of such pain in my arm and neck.

Comment from: fireplug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had about 6 cortisone injections over the past 2-years and I can say the last two have not been as effective as the first four. My doctor says in about five years I will need a replacement. I am not bone on bone yet but getting close. I can feel it mostly going up stairs or twisting my knee unexpectedly, and kneeling is extremely painful. So I would suggest the shots but can't say how long they might work.

Comment from: Nancy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had a very painful knee due to arthritis. I had a cortisone injection and within an hour the pain was gone. It has been a week and I still am pain free.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?