Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a cortisone shot this morning in my knee after the doctor drained the fluid from my swollen kneecap. Origin unknown for the sudden onset of swelling and pain. I felt almost immediate relief, but I am urinating like crazy.

Comment from: DwightNC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I received my 1st cortisone injection yesterday, in my left knee for pain and inflammation/swelling due to a torn meniscus. The injection was really painful, and I could barely walk on it for about 2 hours after. The pain continued for most of the day! One big side effect that I experienced was insomnia. I didn"t sleep at all, I also experienced some sweating as well! I can tell that it is helping today, I have more mobility in the knee, as the pain has gotten better. We"ll see how it goes!

Comment from: Upgirl2013, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had my first cortisone shot in my left knee for osteoarthritis (OA). My knee was in incredible pain at first but much better today. I developed a pounding headache a few hours after the shot and could not sleep last night. I am looking forward to a good night's sleep and to wake up without a stiff knee tomorrow.

Comment from: scmissy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my knee. I went to a 24/7 medical facility and was given a cortisone injection. It helped a little. Two weeks later, the orthopedic doctor (after more x-rays) drained fluid from my knee and gave me another cortisone injection. Both injections gave me a puffy, flushed face. I have a premature heartbeat, but it is controlled well with a beta blocker. The injections have made my heart race at times. It"s as though the beta blocker isn"t working. I"ll be glad when the effect goes away. My knee feels so much better.

Comment from: snapper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been going to a bone and joint clinic since 2009 to have cortisone injections done on my right knee (osteoarthritis). I am not a diabetic, I would have the injections twice a year, never a problem, and done extremely well with these shots. I had received my injection for my right knee in January, 2014, but in February, 2014 my left knee popped and the pain became unbearable. I went to the bone and joint clinic and was given an injection in my left knee, which I have never had any problems with until then. After receiving the shot in left knee everything was fine, until an hour and half later when the pain in my left knee became so unbearable that I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I was given pain medication and sent home, pain never eased up. The next day I was taken back to the hospital, given different mediations and sent home. I went to my primary doctor the next day and was given additional pain medications. I went back to the hospital that night and was given an ultra sound on left leg to make sure there was no blood clots, and x-rays. I was taken off from work for three weeks due to severe pain. I have gone to a neurologist and was diagnosed with left lower extremity weakness and was told there was nothing that he could do for me. I am now being sent to surgeon. I still suffer with numbness underneath my left foot, with burning, throbbing, with bubble feeling under my foot and I suffer with frozen feeling toes at all times; I still have chronic pain in my foot.

Comment from: C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had a cortisone shot in my knee 2 days ago. Cortisone has helped greatly with osteoarthritis in my hip and knee, also an Achilles tendon issue from years ago that caused pain and limping which cortisone seems to have cured. I have not had another shot in my hip as the pain never returned. I experienced some pain during this injection but it"s worth it as the swelling goes down and pain leaves my knee soon. I did have some pain and swelling at the injection sight for 24 hours, requiring some ice and rest. My mouth and throat were also very dry the first night. No other side effects noted.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had one cortisone injection in my knee to alleviate pain and inflammation from a medial meniscus tear. The only side effect was total alleviation of pain. This lasted about four months. I am starting to feel some twinges again but it"s not nearly as bad as it was before the shot. The shot itself was no big deal.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?