Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: raejunior, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a 68 year old male. I had a cortisone injection in my left knee (severe arthritis and bone loss) yesterday. This is my third injection. It appears that I am having some side effects from the injection. I am type II diabetic. The shot increased my wakeup blood sugar level by about 20 points. I am also encountering facial flushing; but more disconcerting is that my blood pressure monitor is reflecting an irregular heartbeat. I don't really notice a particular "palpitation" but it seems to have an extra beat every 4-5 beats. After reading 5-10 websites it appears that these are side effects of the shot. My first two shots did not produce any of these effects. Nowhere can I find any information on multiple corticosteroids use. I take corticosteroids daily for asthma, nasal polyp suppression and the cortisone shot so I am a little concerned about overdosing. I am hoping that the side effects go away quickly.

Comment from: Gregg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I developed knee pain while playing tennis. X-rays showed arthritis including a bone spur. I chose a cortisone injection so I could play in a tournament and go skiing later. Fluid was aspirated first followed by the cortisone shot. Relief started immediately and two days later I was playing tennis like nothing had happened. I'm hoping for continued relief. I'll let you know the long term results.

Comment from: Little Bit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have cortisone injections in both knees every 12 weeks for the last year. The first time I went back to work despite what the doctor advised and had extreme flushing of my face (in all fairness he did tell me that would happen if I didn't rest for 24 hours after). The injections are very painful for me and my knees throb for 2-3 days (by the third day it's bearable), but after that great, until probably 1-2 weeks before my next round depending on my level of exercise etc. I just had another round today and I am in agony but look ahead to the big picture of no pain for approximately the next 3 months and then we start all over again. This is just putting off the inevitable of a double knee replacement!

Comment from: alan, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 21

I have had three cortisone injections but after the last one my tennis elbow has given me more pain than ever before. My tennis elbow was caused because I fish a lot and have had to stop because of such pain in my arm and neck.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had a cortisone shot, I suffered from weakness of limbs, extreme thirst and dizziness, felt very hot and had vomiting.

Comment from: soreashel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I got injured in 1997. I have been getting cortisone shots in various parts of my back, neck and shoulder. Lately, my doctor will not give me another appointment unless I book a procedure. Every month. I'm getting very leery of his practices. How much cortisone can be injected into my body! I get them on both sides of the body. Not all the time.

Comment from: hip injection, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a hip injection in mid-February and the relief was immediate. It has given me two pain-free months and it has increased the mobility in the joint slightly.

Comment from: shirley k., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 27

The second day after my cortisone injection on the knee I have facial flushing. I don't know if I should have more injections if this continues.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?