Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: Pauline, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

After my injection in the knee I felt relief of pain and could walk without pain. But my BP elevated to 199 for 24 hours and it took me 7 days to get it back to normal with my heart rate racing up and down. It wore me out, but I am feeling better with my knee. It really scared me with my BP and my head hurt really bad for two days. Is this normal, I don't think I will take another one because my heart rhythm was not regular.

Comment from: Wiser now!, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

An MRI revealed that I had a torn meniscus in my knee, and also arthritis. I could not bend or put much weight on my knee without pain. I saw an orthopedic surgeon, and, without discussing the benefits or possible drawbacks, he gave me a cortisone injection. The next day I felt no pain when I put weight on the knee. I moved around freely for 2 days. On the third day, there was terrible pain in the knee, even lying down! Please, please do not allow a doctor to give you a cortisone injection without careful discussion and instructions! Discussions I have had since then make me realize that the cortisone, which was probably mixed with anesthetic, masked the symptoms, but did NOTHING to treat the cause!

Comment from: little old lady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with pseudogout brought on by surgery. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot, which was fairly painful. I went home and applied ice per the doctor's instructions. I was taking 20 mg Vicodin and still in great pain. I walked the floor all night because it hurt so much. It finally occurred to me that pseudo gout is caused by crystals precipitating out into the joint. I threw out the ice, and then used a heating pad to get the crystals to resorb. In 30 minutes I was pain free.

Comment from: Ellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

With cortisone injection I am having flushing on my face and chest today, and I feel a bit itchy.

Comment from: christine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had pain in my left knee for years. I changed family doctors and he gave me a cortisone shot. It hurt like heck but now I feel like I have a new knee and the pain is gone.

Comment from: Hiker, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 19

i have been an active senior until suddenly hit with extreme pain in my Right knee in Jan this year. X-ray does not show significant arthritic changes. I didn't respond to physio, had some relief from laser (theralase) May 31 i had a cortisone shot and after 2 accupuncture treatments the following week had great pain relief.I was able to go on a planned trip. My pain ws managed with Tylenol and use of TENS machine 2x /day. I've just had a 2nd cortisone shot, stronger dose and feel great relief, can walk up and down stairs easily, haven't had to take tylenol , only used the TENS after doing a short hike. My only concern is the day after I developed a very sore throat and that is mentioned on the drug label as a reason to contact Dr. Next day throat O.K. until later when I felt tired. Since then I feel hints of sore throat at times but not bad.

Comment from: Pratie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

Just received a shot in my left hip yesterday. Instant relief! In the past I've had shots in my knee and the bottom of my foot.

Comment from: terri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I just had hip injection in my hip at 9;30 this morning. I came home iced now im experiencing flu like symptoms. Chills (and its 94 today and 72 in my home)headache, I was looking to see if other people had also had this as a side effect.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?