Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: Ellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

With cortisone injection I am having flushing on my face and chest today, and I feel a bit itchy.

Comment from: christine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had pain in my left knee for years. I changed family doctors and he gave me a cortisone shot. It hurt like heck but now I feel like I have a new knee and the pain is gone.

Comment from: Hiker, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 19

i have been an active senior until suddenly hit with extreme pain in my Right knee in Jan this year. X-ray does not show significant arthritic changes. I didn't respond to physio, had some relief from laser (theralase) May 31 i had a cortisone shot and after 2 accupuncture treatments the following week had great pain relief.I was able to go on a planned trip. My pain ws managed with Tylenol and use of TENS machine 2x /day. I've just had a 2nd cortisone shot, stronger dose and feel great relief, can walk up and down stairs easily, haven't had to take tylenol , only used the TENS after doing a short hike. My only concern is the day after I developed a very sore throat and that is mentioned on the drug label as a reason to contact Dr. Next day throat O.K. until later when I felt tired. Since then I feel hints of sore throat at times but not bad.

Comment from: Pratie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

Just received a shot in my left hip yesterday. Instant relief! In the past I've had shots in my knee and the bottom of my foot.

Comment from: terri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I just had hip injection in my hip at 9;30 this morning. I came home iced now im experiencing flu like symptoms. Chills (and its 94 today and 72 in my home)headache, I was looking to see if other people had also had this as a side effect.

Comment from: is it just me, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

1st day after having cortisone injected into knee felt fine. Two days later stepping out of car I had such pain could not walk. On return to Dr. I had an MRI. There was a vast amount of fluid (which was not on the 1st. x-rays). Also much bone erosion. Was told I had a stress fracture and would "be fine in a few days". When I asked if the injection caused it was told that it never happens unless numerous injections......That was 2 years ago and my knee "crunches" and pains more than before I started treatment. I will go to my grave thinking the injection caused it. But one thing I learned, I will never have another cortisone injection!!

Comment from: jnurse2002, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had my first cortisone injection today in my right shoulder. I was excited at the doctors office because immediately after I was able to move my arm far better than before the injection. The problem is that here I am 10 hours after the injection and my shoulder feels stiff and slightly more painful than prior to the injection. My range of motion is very limited. I am going to see how it feels tomorrow but if the symptoms persist, the doctor will be getting a phone call.

Comment from: helena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

Insulin dependent diabetic some 50 yrs. Given cortisone shot on hip for bursitis and 2 weeks later had 2 low blood sugars whilst driving. Sugars never went so low so frequently before this. License on hold till this is resolved. Medical doc told me this can happen 2 weeks later. One week later she's telling me cortisone will make blood sugar go up. I'm tormented

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?