Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Published: October 12

I am a 20-year-old girl from New Jersey. I had a cortisone shot in my knee to help get some of the swelling down from chondromalacia patella. Right after the shot, before I left the orthopedic office, I developed a severe migraine. When I got home, I was getting worse and worse by the hour. I had nausea, lightheadedness and a migraine. By that evening, I went into a severe seizure and had trouble breathing on my living room couch. My mom had to call 911 to get the police and EMS to rush me to the closest children's hospital emergency room (ER). I had a very severe allergic reaction. I had to be given two litters of IV fluids to help get it out of my body because it made me dehydrated. I spent six hours in the ER and then finally got discharged to go home.

Comment from: Pammi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have had cortisone injections in both hips for bursitis many times, the last time being Friday (5 days ago) I was pain free the next morning. The effects generally last up to a month, and I slowly get worse after that. Sometimes I go back and get them again as soon as they wear off, but this time I waited so it was about 2 months between injections. I have pain for a couple of days after the initial injection, but it is worth it to not hurt every day. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as Fibromyalgia. I am not sure I would be able to work without these injections, as I am a nurse in a busy intensive care unit.

Comment from: Pauline, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

After my injection in the knee I felt relief of pain and could walk without pain. But my BP elevated to 199 for 24 hours and it took me 7 days to get it back to normal with my heart rate racing up and down. It wore me out, but I am feeling better with my knee. It really scared me with my BP and my head hurt really bad for two days. Is this normal, I don't think I will take another one because my heart rhythm was not regular.

Comment from: Wiser now!, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

An MRI revealed that I had a torn meniscus in my knee, and also arthritis. I could not bend or put much weight on my knee without pain. I saw an orthopedic surgeon, and, without discussing the benefits or possible drawbacks, he gave me a cortisone injection. The next day I felt no pain when I put weight on the knee. I moved around freely for 2 days. On the third day, there was terrible pain in the knee, even lying down! Please, please do not allow a doctor to give you a cortisone injection without careful discussion and instructions! Discussions I have had since then make me realize that the cortisone, which was probably mixed with anesthetic, masked the symptoms, but did NOTHING to treat the cause!

Comment from: Smiles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had my first cortisone shot yesterday in the hip. I have been in pain for over two years. I had heard horror stories of getting the shot so I tried everything else till now. I wish now I would have done this two years ago. I feel like I have a new leg and hip, it's wonderful. I find myself waiting on my hip to hurt getting up from sitting, or getting out of the car but the pain is gone. It's great and the only reason I waited so long was I heard the shot was so painful. I honestly didn't believe my dr. when he told me he was done. He walked away to get a band aid, I thought then he will do the shot and he had already done it! I waited two years and now I would do it again in a heart beat.

Comment from: little old lady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with pseudogout brought on by surgery. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot, which was fairly painful. I went home and applied ice per the doctor's instructions. I was taking 20 mg Vicodin and still in great pain. I walked the floor all night because it hurt so much. It finally occurred to me that pseudo gout is caused by crystals precipitating out into the joint. I threw out the ice, and then used a heating pad to get the crystals to resorb. In 30 minutes I was pain free.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?