Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Faith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have bursitis in my hips, right and left. I have always been a walker, but now the pain in my hips are so bad I can barely walk and sitting all day at work doesn't help. I went to physical therapy and water therapy for 2 months, but no relief. Then, I received a cortisone injection in both hips, 3 months later the pain is back, and now I have numbness in my left leg and tingling from the injection. A thick strip of muscle is really tight when I go out in the cold. I'm scared I might have nerve damage.

Comment from: Genevieve, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my first cortisone shot in the knee the first of July. I had sore knee for three days, constant urination for three days, night sweats, and lack of sleep, but I went from extreme pain to none. The second shot in October was the same except the time lengthened to five days. Now it has worn off again, and I am scared that the shots are hurting my bladder. The doctor said something about switching to a shot that has rooster comb in it which causes the shot to last longer and melt slower. I do not know what to do. He has no time to talk and stabs me like a dart board.

Comment from: planodenise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

The day before Thanksgiving 2014 I went to an outpatient facility because my doctor's office was closed. I wanted to receive treatment for strep throat. After they came back and confirmed it was, they proceeded to give me a cortisone injection around my hip replacement and a few days later my leg swelled to twice the size. My surgeon informed me that my replacement parts got infected with strep bacteria and surgery to remove the parts was the answer.

Comment from: Weiler dog girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I've had cortisone injection in my knee with no side effects. Today I had one about 12 hours ago and now I have a killer headache behind my eyes. I wonder if this could this be related or just sinus stuff. I already took 600 mg ibuprofen.

Comment from: GolfNut, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I had my first knee injection early morning (slight arthritis and small meniscus tears). In the evening I began to get tightness in the chest and blood pressure went north! I slept okay. Next day was okay for about an hour. I am experiencing sporadic chest tightness and high blood pressure. Sitting, relaxation and breathing techniques help for short periods. Pain in the knee is gone. I'll have knee surgery before I get another cortisone injection down the road.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had the cortisone hip injection in my left hip due to hip dysplasia which caused inner thigh/groin pain for two years. The guided injection did not hurt at all and post one week I am totally pain free!

Comment from: misskitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have severe knee arthritis in both knees and awaiting surgery for knee replacement. I received cortisone shots before in 40 mg dose in each knee and had no ill effects. I went yesterday for another shot, I was in terrible pain and the doctor injected the knee with 80 mg (double the dose) and I have had a terrible time since. Since reading on this website the problems others had, I now know what is wrong with me. Sleeping was poor last night and all day I felt ill and had the runs. My blood pressure was out of control and I had to take extra medications. My face is flushed and I feel anxiety. I will contact my doctor. I love the relief from the knee pain but hate the side effects.

Comment from: mike64, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I had a hip injection on the 14th November 2014, and was given a local first to numb the area before the big needle went in. After about 2 minutes she started to insert the big needle into my hip, and I told her this is hurting and I was feeling it going through something, she then let it go for about 30 seconds and then continued. Again it was hurting, and I was crying with the pain. She then said that she is nearly there and just one more push, anyway she pushed the needle in to the end and it really hurt again. She then injected the cortisone, and after a couple of minutes they took me back to a waiting room. Within a few seconds I felt really unwell, I felt my head was being pumped up like a balloon and was really hot and it felt like it was going to explode. I had tingling in my fingers and toes, and felt like I was going to die. They then took me to a ward and placed me on a bed, I had the most dreadful pain ever in my lower abdomen, left/right side and lower back, like a belt type pain. They then checked my blood pressure (BP), etc., and it was dangerously low and they had to call for an anesthetist. In the mean time I could not feel my feet or my legs and I had not had the use of my legs anymore. The anesthetist gave me Fentanyl pain killer which is 100 times more powerful then morphine. Then I had an angina attack and had to have GTN spray which lowered my BP even more. He then was trying to move my legs and was pricking my toes and legs with a needle to which I could not feel anything. I was then rushed to a bigger hospital where I had CT scan, and MRI and everything was ok with the scans. I was given a lot of pain killers, and had to have physiotherapy just to try and get me standing, and try to get a couple of steps from me so I could go home after spending 6 days in hospital. The consultants and the doctors kept saying it was all psychological and that there is nothing wrong with my legs. I said I nearly died and I cannot walk or feel my legs, my legs feel ice cold, numb and I can't move them. I am home now with some equipment, they gave me a Simmer Frame, toilet aid, wee bottle, a perch stool and a wheel chair, but they will not give me a diagnosis. I was fine prior going to have this hip injection but no one is saying anything, so I have contacted a solicitor and asked for help. I can only think the reason they won't give me a diagnosis is because they know they messed up and do not want to admit to blame. Also no notes were made about my procedure, and I was not even given a pre operation inspection, like having my blood pressure checked first. I really don't know what to do or who to turn to for help and advice or even how to get a diagnosis.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?