Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Anne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a cortisone injection in my left hip for osteoarthritis. I had pain relief in 8 days. Walking was much better, getting up and down still gave me some pain. I started having hot flashes and face flushes the first days. I continue to have these symptoms even after 6 months. I thought it was getting better and the last few days the symptoms have been worse. I am told they should last only a few days.

Comment from: hafstrat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday for really bad osteoarthritis. Relief was almost immediate and last night was the first time I could bend my knee in bed - before it hurt unless straight. I had almost no pain at all today when walking. The usual stiffness going from sitting to standing/walking (I have a desk job) almost eliminated too. Remarkable but it is only day 1. Interested to see it last the potential 4 months.

Comment from: mum52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have suffered with pain in my right hip for over 12 months and have finally been diagnosed with hip bursitis. I just received my first cortisone injection on Friday, and now have woken up with an extremely flushed face which is warm to touch. If the nurse hadn't told me about this being a possible side effect I would have been very worried. However the pain in my hip has just about gone and just mild twinges every now and then, so overall I am very happy with the results despite looking like I have been out in the sun too long.

Comment from: Hautehoneybee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I received a Kenalog shot in my right knee on Tuesday. By Thursday morning I had a sleepless night, flushed red cheeks and fever. Potential reactions and side effects should have been explained by medical office.

Comment from: candi394, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I just had an injection in the bursa of my hip to relieve the inflammation and pain; this is the third one I have had. They have never worked and seem to make my hip worse and it would appear this is going to be no different. I've been sick since I received the shot yesterday, I haven't been able to keep food down. Now my hip is killing me and it makes it hard to move. The pain has started to radiate down my leg and I have a horrible migraine. I'm going to go back for my next one and let my doctor know.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a cortisone shot this morning in my knee after the doctor drained the fluid from my swollen kneecap. Origin unknown for the sudden onset of swelling and pain. I felt almost immediate relief, but I am urinating like crazy.

Comment from: DwightNC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I received my 1st cortisone injection yesterday, in my left knee for pain and inflammation/swelling due to a torn meniscus. The injection was really painful, and I could barely walk on it for about 2 hours after. The pain continued for most of the day! One big side effect that I experienced was insomnia. I didn"t sleep at all, I also experienced some sweating as well! I can tell that it is helping today, I have more mobility in the knee, as the pain has gotten better. We"ll see how it goes!

Comment from: Upgirl2013, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had my first cortisone shot in my left knee for osteoarthritis (OA). My knee was in incredible pain at first but much better today. I developed a pounding headache a few hours after the shot and could not sleep last night. I am looking forward to a good night's sleep and to wake up without a stiff knee tomorrow.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?