Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had my second cortisone injection yesterday. Last year I had one due to tennis elbow. Yesterday bursitis in the hip. I feel better already!!! My face is flushed and my leg is itchy and red but not unbearable. The injection hurt as they had to go all the way in my hip to the bone! The pain only lasted a few minutes. I hope I remain pain free! I also look forward to the flushed face and itching to go away. Overall, it is worth being pain free!

Comment from: Blaise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had a hip injection the day before Thanksgiving. The next day I had so much pain I keep ice on it most of the day. It did not work. At the end of Jan I had a spinal with sedation. I did not feel it. It also did not work. I am scheduled for another in 3 weeks. The MD feels it probably will not help. I have not had any side effects: just pain after the hip shot. I cannot walk far before the pain starts. I was diagnosed with bursitis; and do not have spinal stenosis. I found out I have a slipped disc and above it I have a pinched nerve. I cannot take anti-inflammatory.

Comment from: Bill G, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

My orthopedic surgeon says I can get up to three steroid hip injections a year. I have had three cortisone injections in my right hip joint in the past three years (the latest one today). The first two injections lasted about 18 months before the pain returned to a level that warranted getting another injection. I credit the longevity of the injections to the fact that I get an hour long massage (concentrating on my right hip and associated areas) every other week from a licensed medical massage therapist. My massage therapist states that effective massage therapy tends to extend the long-term effectiveness of the cortisone injections. My orthopedic surgeon is impressed that my injections are effective for this amount of time.

Comment from: Saphire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had pain and soreness in my left hip for over 2 months and my doctor would not even discuss it. She said an injection was too expensive. I went to another doctor who said I had trochanteric bursitis of the hip. She gave me a cortisone injection in my hip. It had lidocaine in it. I did not even feel the shot but immediately had a flushing in my face and a little bit of heart palpitations. About 6 hours later, my heart was beating fast and I could feel in all over my body, in my head especially. I was very nervous but I have so much less pain in my hip a day later that I would take another shot today if the soreness and pain came back in my hip.

Comment from: miss_keely_anne, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am not from USA but the UK I had a cortsone injection to my knee for RA I am only 23 and it was causing me sooo much pain, the doctor said it was best course of action for me. So I went along with it. I had it at 2 in the afternoon on a Thursday knee was very sore and stiff for a few days then nothing felt perfectly fine on sat and Sunday until I went to bed on the Sunday night at 1 am. my neck went stiff I had really bad pressure in my head felt like it was going to explode and when I moved I got shooting pains down my spine. Got rushed to hospital in an ambulance I couldn't move. Vomiting for 48 hours could keep water or food down. shooting pains in my spine for last 9 days. Had pressure in my head for 5 days. I now get convulsions when i get the shooting pains in my legs and it's still going on 2 weeks later. Hospital sent me for CT scans and the best they came up with was side effect from the cortisone so sent me home after 48 hours?! Never ever again!!!!

Comment from: jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I just had my first shoulder injection done. My doctor told me you are going to feel some numbness. Never did he mention pain and after 30 minutes approx. it just left me immobile the pain never in my life had a felt such pain leaving me almost fainted I couldn't drive I had to park call for help I was sweating crying . I had to take pain killer and still nothing it lasted 10 hours, finally it stop hurting .I will see effects during these next days to see the difference.

Comment from: Ozze_dollar, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

About 10 years ago I had a needle for tennis elbow. It was like magic with all the pain gone as I walked out of the surgery back to my car. It lasted about a year and was worth it. I went back for a second needle but it did not work like the first one with very little pain reduction. Just yesterday I had a CT guided needles on each side of my neck. It was at C6/C7. The pain wasn't so bad and the area is already pain free. I hope it lasts a long time. I had some sweats last night and very bad insomnia. I guess that will reduce after a few days.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?