Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I've had swelling and pain in my knee for 8 months off and on. Orthopedic doctor treated it with cortisone injections every 2.5 months then sent me to a rheumatoid specialist. He started me on methotrexate, drained my knee and injected cortisone. That was 11 weeks ago and the injection didn't work, so since then, I've had 3 more injections in the past 6 weeks and now on injection form of methotrexate. I am waiting for an appointment this week to have my knee drained again by ultrasound and shot with cortisone again. That will be 5 shots in 8 weeks. I don't understand why nothing is working and I'm not coping very well now. It's been too long since I've had some relief and I'm not sleeping because of the pain.

Comment from: Mako John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a cortisone shot in right knee yesterday. I woke up with headache and warm and flush face, thought I had a fever. Knee pain was gone but returned next night. My physician's assistant (PA) never told me about side effects, I thought I had another problem maybe infection. I wish the caregiver would have told me what to expect

Comment from: Maureen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am almost 61 and I worked in hard jobs my entire life. Currently I'm a caregiver for DD adult. I thought I would have to give up being her foster provider (sad). Rheumatologist gave first shots to knees and thumbs almost 3 months ago. It was like a miracle, I could walk dog, garden, ride bike, and swim with no apparent side effects. At two weeks to shot time I was where I was before, knees hurting as well as my back (back problem for years), and thumbs just starting to ache. I have needed no pain medications till now, 5 days from shot time. It is worth whatever side effects I may encounter further down line. Time will tell. I will post again in 6 or 12 months if there is a change or side effects hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Anne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a cortisone injection in my left hip for osteoarthritis. I had pain relief in 8 days. Walking was much better, getting up and down still gave me some pain. I started having hot flashes and face flushes the first days. I continue to have these symptoms even after 6 months. I thought it was getting better and the last few days the symptoms have been worse. I am told they should last only a few days.

Comment from: hafstrat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday for really bad osteoarthritis. Relief was almost immediate and last night was the first time I could bend my knee in bed - before it hurt unless straight. I had almost no pain at all today when walking. The usual stiffness going from sitting to standing/walking (I have a desk job) almost eliminated too. Remarkable but it is only day 1. Interested to see it last the potential 4 months.

Comment from: mum52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have suffered with pain in my right hip for over 12 months and have finally been diagnosed with hip bursitis. I just received my first cortisone injection on Friday, and now have woken up with an extremely flushed face which is warm to touch. If the nurse hadn't told me about this being a possible side effect I would have been very worried. However the pain in my hip has just about gone and just mild twinges every now and then, so overall I am very happy with the results despite looking like I have been out in the sun too long.

Comment from: Hautehoneybee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I received a Kenalog shot in my right knee on Tuesday. By Thursday morning I had a sleepless night, flushed red cheeks and fever. Potential reactions and side effects should have been explained by medical office.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?