Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: Fruitcake456, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my first cortisone Injection into my left hip yesterday at 9am (18.02.14) under a general and after a few hours I experienced very bad stomach cramps, right up till going to bed at 9pm, but this morning (19.02.14) I feel great! I have no pain, no side effects at all! I have been playing all day with my 3.5 year old without having to tell her "Mummy can't play now as her leg is hurting!) Marvelous!

Comment from: mickeyc606, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a cortisone injection in the hip 9 days ago. Pain was immediately gone and I had great relief. However, since then I have head headaches for a while, low grade fever, night sweats and extreme lethargy. I am trying to take iron supplements to help with anemia, but some people are telling me that this is a reaction to the cortisone.

Comment from: wandasc52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I received a cortisone shot in my knee about 4 weeks ago. I went back to doctor and my knee was feeling better, not 100%, so he gave me another injection right in the joint. It hurt then but by nighttime I could not put any weight on my leg. I called the office on the day after and went for a follow-up the next day. Now 4 weeks later I cannot put any weight on my knee or leg. I even have pain just sleeping. The MRI shows no tears or anything.

Comment from: nopain, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have twice received cortisone injections in both hips for bursitis. Both times I had instant pain relief and no pain with the injection. It lasts 4-6 months. I will be going back soon for more as pain is returning.

Comment from: Conrad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

Over a period of about 18 to 24 months, I received three cortisone injections in my shoulder because of a calcium deposit, aka bone spur (painful). This was in about 1980-1981. I have never had a recurrence of the pain after the third shot, not even three decades later. I assume the cortisone actually cured this problem. No side effects, no pain after the needle went in. In 2009 I had an enormous injection of cortisone by an orthopedist into the interior of my knee joint as a treatment for inflammation due to a suspected meniscus tear. Since I did not want surgery, I opted to try the cortisone. Because I got the shot three weeks after the trauma, the pain had already subsided. I don't really know if the shot helped or not. No pain after the initial needle insertion; no side effects. In 2013, I received a small injection of cortisone from my primary care physician due to extreme inflammation of the same knee while waiting to see an orthopedist. This shot was not into the interior of my knee, but was into the external tissue around the right side of my left knee. After the initial needle insertion, I did not feel any pain or side effects. The inflammation reduced pretty fast, but probably would have diminished anyway, so I don't really know for sure whether the shot, ice, or staying off my knee is the reason the inflammation has gone down (but not gone away).

Comment from: Babs, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I began experiencing pain in my left hip region while cycling more than a year ago. If felt like a cramped groin muscle. X-rays a couple of months ago revealed bone spurs in my left hip. As the pain worsened, I received the first of two injections two weeks ago. Relief was almost immediate. I experienced about 70% relief within two days, as suggested by the pain clinic. I have had no side effects, but bowled in a league within two hours of the injection, which exercised the hip. I am scheduled for the second of two injections in two days. I'm looking forward to increased relief.

Comment from: Peach, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I was given a cortisone injection at the joint where the big toe is connected to the foot. No problem with the injection site, but I passed out right as I was about to leave the office. My doctor thought it might be from a sudden drop in blood pressure, but I realized after I went on an empty stomach, so that may have contributed. I'm not usually a fainter.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?