Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: cookie dog, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Yesterday I had a cortisone injection in my right hip for bursitis. I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea and severe headache. No one ever listed these symptoms to me.

Comment from: Karol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My experience with steroids is positive. I had a tear on my rotator cuff, a full tear, and after 5 cortisone injections over 2 years it is almost perfect without surgery. I had 4 steroid injections into my lumbar sacral joint and 4 into the L4, L5 and relieved of pain for almost 2 years. I could barely walk prior to that. After injections I feel a bit 'high' and have more problem sleeping for a week or so but it wears off. Benefits outweigh negatives.

Comment from: carpenter561, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I received a cortisone injection in my left hip about 5 months ago. Prior to the injection my pain was keeping me awake at night. I was amazed at the almost immediate relief. A week ago I received an injection in my right knee. I have 2 torn ligaments, a torn meniscus and cartilage damage. Again the pain relief was substantial. Neither of the times was the injection itself painful, except when the needle went through the cartilage of my knee, and that was bearable. I had no side effects and can now walk like a man instead of like a toddler.

Comment from: central ma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had cortisone injection in my hip about 11 hours ago, and still haven't experienced the pain relief, but was told it could take up to 3 days. I am disappointed, but hoping that I get relief soon from the excruciating pain of bursitis or tendonitis (not arthritis, in this case). I had a cortisone shot in the knee about 18 months ago for terrible knee pain, and my knee was better instantly; still is! So I am hopeful that this horrific hip pain flare-up will be over with as soon as the cortisone takes effect.

Comment from: Chita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had several cortisone injections in my left hip for bursitis. I have been pain free for almost a year. I can tell when it's time to get another shot. It hurts like crazy when I'm given the shot but it is well worth the temporary pain of the injection to get the relief I receive.

Comment from: Geri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had cortisone shot for knee pain twice in 1 year; no knee pain, feels great. After second shot I am feeling flushed, sweating, shaky, and have headaches and cough. The worst part is the bitter/metallic/dry feeling in my mouth. I just shiver when I think of eating something. This has been going on for 3 weeks. I went to the family doctor and bloodwork all came back ok.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: September 03

I have osteoarthritis in my left knee and have had terrible pain for months now, unable to bend the knee, taking stairs one at a time, and being dead lame after driving for a while. This has affected everything I do. I had a cortisone shot in the knee before going on a 2 week holiday and was thrilled to notice a vast difference. I was climbing stairs normally, hardly any pain and 1 month later, still feeling the relief of pain. Luckily I had no side effects that I'm aware of.

Comment from: Gettin' Old, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had a cortisone injection in my knee a little over a week ago. Not pleasant, but over quickly. My doctor warned me about flushing and swelling only, as a side effect. Several hours later my knee started to swell and I couldn't bear any weight on it. It hurt just to brush against the skin, but tolerable as long as I didn't try to walk or touch it. The side effects went away in about 36 hours. My knee felt much better but seven days later a rather good sized lump developed causing a lot of pain. Not sure if it is from the cortisone. Except for the lump, the benefit from the injection was well worth it. If the lump turns out to be unconnected to the injection, I will get one on my other knee.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?