Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: Gregg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I developed knee pain while playing tennis. X-rays showed arthritis including a bone spur. I chose a cortisone injection so I could play in a tournament and go skiing later. Fluid was aspirated first followed by the cortisone shot. Relief started immediately and two days later I was playing tennis like nothing had happened. I'm hoping for continued relief. I'll let you know the long term results.

Comment from: Little Bit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have cortisone injections in both knees every 12 weeks for the last year. The first time I went back to work despite what the doctor advised and had extreme flushing of my face (in all fairness he did tell me that would happen if I didn't rest for 24 hours after). The injections are very painful for me and my knees throb for 2-3 days (by the third day it's bearable), but after that great, until probably 1-2 weeks before my next round depending on my level of exercise etc. I just had another round today and I am in agony but look ahead to the big picture of no pain for approximately the next 3 months and then we start all over again. This is just putting off the inevitable of a double knee replacement!

Comment from: Gwenifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I got my first cortisone injection this morning in my knee. She told me I can get one every 3 months until I"m emotionally ready for a replacement. I saw my friend the last year before her replacement and she was in a lot more pain than I am so I don"t think it"s time. Anyway, I was told it might take 2 weeks to feel relief but it feels better already and it"s only been a few hours. Now I just have to hope it lasts.

Comment from: female patient, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 31

I had my first cortisone shot two days ago for fluid buildup behind right knee (Baker's cyst). I experienced bad pain and swelling a few hours afterward that lasted through night. I couldn"t put weight on the leg. The pain is gone and I no longer feel pain behind my knee when driving, sitting. However, my knee, leg area above knee are still very tight and swollen. I feel like my entire leg was injected with liquid foam. I'm limping and can't really bend my knee easily. I was told it is a flare-up and could last 5 to 7 days. I don't think I will opt for another shot.

Comment from: MARGOFRE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

The cortisone injection alleviated the pain considerably but caused weight gain and a marked elevation in blood pressure.

Comment from: Slyvrfox, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have arthritis in my knees and received my 1st injection in my right knee yesterday. I was told to watch for redness and swelling but no other concern for reaction. My knee definitely feels better, however I felt ill yesterday, 4 hours later with no appetite, and also tight chest; it feels like the onset of asthma. I'm not sure if these are side effects or allergic reactions.

Comment from: Tammila., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have osteoarthritis and degenerative bone loss in both hips, left knee and spine. I was not able to walk at all. I found out I had a kidney infection 24 hours before my injections were to be administered. The first shot I only felt a little sting of the needle and the pain was gone instantly. Mobility is not great but worth it not to have pain. The next day I had the second injection and a different doctor administering it was not as gentle and I felt it a lot more. I was able to get up and walk. Thankful for no pain however I need mobility, now I can"t walk very good or far at all. I had some kind of allergic reaction of itchy rash but think it was from the antibiotics for the kidney infection. Perhaps if I had a shot in the left knee then I would have some mobility. It's such a mystery.

Comment from: Fruitcake456, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my first cortisone Injection into my left hip yesterday at 9am (18.02.14) under a general and after a few hours I experienced very bad stomach cramps, right up till going to bed at 9pm, but this morning (19.02.14) I feel great! I have no pain, no side effects at all! I have been playing all day with my 3.5 year old without having to tell her "Mummy can't play now as her leg is hurting!) Marvelous!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?