Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a cortisone injection last February in one knee after twisting it (previously had arthroscopic surgery in it and most of the meniscus removed). I felt really odd as I walked out to my car; woozy, but I went back to work. The next day my knee was so much better, I wished I'd had both knees done. Now, 10 months later, the other knee kept flaring up so I went in and had both done. Two hours after the injections (which were of limited pain), the knee I had done last year must have flared, I couldn't bend it as easy and had mild to moderate pain as the evening went on. I iced both knees on and off for a couple of hours. I did get the terrible headache and it helped to lie down. Today my knees were hugely better! I started to flush late morning and have a mild headache. But I shopped and did errands for hours! I am slated for knee replacements but depending on how long this lasts, I would really considering doing it again. There are side effects to most everything for me. I was glad that I didn't have plans last night and could have worked today, but was glad I didn't have to.

Comment from: Bramlin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had severe arthritis in both knees because of a congenital birth defect and had my right knee replaced in my early 50s. I will need the left one replaced eventually. I had hyaluronic acid shots but they stopped working so I now have cortisone injected about every 6 to 8 months. I have no real side effects and the pain relief is immediate. Just one important thing, do not walk on the affected leg or knee for 24 hours if you can rest and elevate with ice packs, this is the trick to helping the shot work properly. Then for the next 2 days, try not to walk about too much. Then over the next week gradually start walking more and then back to normal. If I don't rest, the shot isn't so effective.

Comment from: GeneL, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I had cortisone injection into my left hip, guided by fluoroscope. It really, really hurt during the procedure. Once the needle was withdrawn, the pain from the procedure was gone. The next day, the pain in my left hip and the pain in groin areas, both left and right sides of the groin, was gone. Pain stayed gone for 10 days but then it gradually returned. Eventually I had total hip replacement on the left hip. The groin pain on the left side was remedied, but right side groin pain persists. Now I am noticing minor symptoms from my right hip. In spite of the painful experience with cortisone shot for my left hip, I am quite willing to try it in my right hip not only for my hip but also for the right side groin pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a cortisone shot two days ago in my left knee and in my left thumb. Both injections went well. I had no horrible pain (even though I was prepared for it in my thumb at least) and the awful pain and aches I had before are now almost gone. I would do this again if I should need it. I had my right hip replaced this past May, and I know I need a left knee replacement sometime in the next year. That is why I had a shot now and it worked.

Comment from: Bunny , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I received a cortisone injection in my hip (top of thigh on right side) because the orthopedic doctor saw how I had been affected by all over body pain for a month. My primary doctor took lots of x rays of the lumbar region, but the spine doctor did not think I should have the pain I suffered, after reviewing the films. I do have arthritis, primarily bad knees, but this inflammation was all over. He prescribed prednisone, but then offered a shot. I have had fantastic relief! I only hope it lasts. My side effects have been few and mild. A bit of a face flush, sore the next day at the site of injection, all tolerable. I am 73, female.

Comment from: raejunior, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a 68 year old male. I had a cortisone injection in my left knee (severe arthritis and bone loss) yesterday. This is my third injection. It appears that I am having some side effects from the injection. I am type II diabetic. The shot increased my wakeup blood sugar level by about 20 points. I am also encountering facial flushing; but more disconcerting is that my blood pressure monitor is reflecting an irregular heartbeat. I don't really notice a particular "palpitation" but it seems to have an extra beat every 4-5 beats. After reading 5-10 websites it appears that these are side effects of the shot. My first two shots did not produce any of these effects. Nowhere can I find any information on multiple corticosteroids use. I take corticosteroids daily for asthma, nasal polyp suppression and the cortisone shot so I am a little concerned about overdosing. I am hoping that the side effects go away quickly.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?