Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Claudia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have a tear on my meniscus and got a cortisone shot, painless, no side effects, I would suggest the use of it. Before I couldn't even walk 10 ft. without pain and now I'm glad I had my shot.

Comment from: bradbetwo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder 12 days ago. The shot felt like something heavy on my arm when the medicine went down it. The pain was still there. The second day the pain had lessened, but that night I had head sweats and couldn't sleep very well. The third day, I felt much better, hardly any pain, unless I raised my arm. Today (12 days later) still hardly any pain. I will be having reverse-shoulder replacement soon, but right now, I am able to work again.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a cortisone shot into my hip joint about three weeks ago. I had flushing in my face off and on but it has stopped. However, I had one day of relief. I talked with the nurse today and she said I haven't given it enough time. It can take up to 6 weeks for the full effect. They told me at the hospital up to 7 days; not weeks. Some days I can barely walk. I will need hip replacement but was hoping to get some relief for a few weeks, if not a month or two.

Comment from: Faith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have bursitis in my hips, right and left. I have always been a walker, but now the pain in my hips are so bad I can barely walk and sitting all day at work doesn't help. I went to physical therapy and water therapy for 2 months, but no relief. Then, I received a cortisone injection in both hips, 3 months later the pain is back, and now I have numbness in my left leg and tingling from the injection. A thick strip of muscle is really tight when I go out in the cold. I'm scared I might have nerve damage.

Comment from: Genevieve, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my first cortisone shot in the knee the first of July. I had sore knee for three days, constant urination for three days, night sweats, and lack of sleep, but I went from extreme pain to none. The second shot in October was the same except the time lengthened to five days. Now it has worn off again, and I am scared that the shots are hurting my bladder. The doctor said something about switching to a shot that has rooster comb in it which causes the shot to last longer and melt slower. I do not know what to do. He has no time to talk and stabs me like a dart board.

Comment from: planodenise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

The day before Thanksgiving 2014 I went to an outpatient facility because my doctor's office was closed. I wanted to receive treatment for strep throat. After they came back and confirmed it was, they proceeded to give me a cortisone injection around my hip replacement and a few days later my leg swelled to twice the size. My surgeon informed me that my replacement parts got infected with strep bacteria and surgery to remove the parts was the answer.

Comment from: Weiler dog girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I've had cortisone injection in my knee with no side effects. Today I had one about 12 hours ago and now I have a killer headache behind my eyes. I wonder if this could this be related or just sinus stuff. I already took 600 mg ibuprofen.

Comment from: GolfNut, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I had my first knee injection early morning (slight arthritis and small meniscus tears). In the evening I began to get tightness in the chest and blood pressure went north! I slept okay. Next day was okay for about an hour. I am experiencing sporadic chest tightness and high blood pressure. Sitting, relaxation and breathing techniques help for short periods. Pain in the knee is gone. I'll have knee surgery before I get another cortisone injection down the road.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?