Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Sasha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a cortisone shot a week ago for really bad pain. As I suffer from fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and arthritis, I have been on 14 different medications in the last 2 years; some work and some didn't and the side effects are horrible. I had a shot in my right knee and it worked well for my knee and then I had a shot in my left hip and was pain free for 2 days. Now I am in worse pain than ever as I have pain not only in my hip but also my back side and my lower back and can hardly walk now. Wish I didn't get the shot in my hip.

Comment from: ceola, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee yesterday for bone on bone arthritis. Later in the evening I experienced a severe headache and rise in blood pressure. Headache continued through the night but has eased up today. However, the knee feels great.

Comment from: eldever, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I've been to have a cortisone injection in my hip today, I had a local anesthetic but gosh, it hurt! However, the pain I've been suffering for four years disappeared almost immediately. I have hip dysplasia and will eventually be having a replacement. If I need another injection I will ask for a general anesthetic.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I had a cortisone shot in my right knee to reduce the swelling from a torn meniscus. It's the worst thing I could have done. My knee is more swollen and pain level doubled. This all took place on a Thursday, and 4 days later no change.

Comment from: Hughsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had cortisone injection into left knee for bone on bone arthritis this morning. Injection was a breeze. I had frequent urination all afternoon and now tonight knee is more sore than usual. Hopefully it will settle in a day or two to give some much anticipated relief.

Comment from: Marcy Sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had a cortisone injection in my knee yesterday, and it was painless. Later in the day, I too had a severe headache as well as insomnia last night. Today the headache has subsided and for the first time in several years I have no knee pain! Well worth the headache and insomnia. Hopefully, I will continue to see more painless days!

Comment from: artsandflags, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my first cortisone shot ever yesterday in my left knee to relieve pain caused by two torn meniscus. I received almost immediate relief in the knee, but within six hours I experienced a horrible headache (forehead). It was not relieved with Excedrin-migraine which usually cures any headache for me. I am an easy sleeper, but last night's rest was not good and shortened by two hours.

Comment from: Nimtun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Five weeks ago I had my knee drained and cortisone was injected (without my knowing, I was told it was a pain killer). Walking out of the doctor's office, I was fine. That night I experienced 8 to 10 pain in my knee and leg. It has been five weeks and I am just now able to walk a bit. I have lost innumerable hours of sleep and my life has been ruined. Prior to the shot, I was walking the dog 5 to 6 miles a day with minimal pain. I have damage to the knee, but I was able to deal with the pain and was hoping that I could continue and wait for medical advances that would eliminate a partial or total knee replacement. Now I am uncertain what my future holds. The dog hates me and life is awful. Cortisone is really terrible!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?