Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Bee, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 15

I had cortisone injections in both knees 2 1/2 weeks ago and have been experiencing very elevated blood pressure, headaches, and anxiety. All new symptoms to me. I was relieved to find I was not alone in this. My doctor said symptoms could last a couple of weeks, but I am reading that they have gone on for more than that in some people. Never again!

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a cortisone shot for severe arthritis in my knee one year ago. It took a couple of weeks, but it did provide some relief. I had no reactions. Yesterday I had another cortisone shot in the same knee and awoke in the middle of night and could not get back to sleep. I awoke with hot, red cheeks and actually had to have a cold facecloth on my face occasionally to give some relief. I wonder if the reactions will get worse.

Comment from: Carolyn B., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had three cortisone injections and each time my blood pressure shot way up. I will not take another one. I can't taste anything. I have a really bad headache.

Comment from: AZMorrigan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Four days ago I got the cortisone shot in my right knee for various issues I'm having there such as bruising, fluid buildup, arthritis, and a couple of other things that may require surgery. The shot part wasn't bad, they numbed it with spray first and the knee, although not much better, isn't my problem now. I warned them I am extra sensitive to medications but they still did a full dose. The side effects I've gotten are making me miserable. My usually low blood pressure is way high. My heart rhythm is way off which is the worst of the symptoms to me. I'm jittery, sometimes nauseated, having excessive urine and constipation which I never have, headaches, a night with bad indigestion right after the shot, and overall not feeling well.

Comment from: Hanginthere, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder for excruciating pain from tendinitis, bursitis, and adhesive capsulitis. I had immediate relief. However, I have been having a terrible time trying to sleep at night. Right now I am not working but I can't imagine having this sleep interruption and then having to get up early to work. I finally fell asleep last night at 4 am, and luckily got restorative sleep and woke up 8 hours later. Eight hours is my magic number for wellbeing. I had gone to bed at 12 midnight pleasantly exhausted from a day of hiking. But then I couldn't sleep. I had severe thirst and low grade anxiety. Also started out hot because I had taken a bath but then went to freezing. I felt pretty nauseous and toxic throughout my body. At one point I felt a little reflux from heartburn, and took some Tums which helped that problem. So I stayed up reading posts to see what others had experienced. Overall I felt very unsettled and can't wait till this foreign substance flushes through my system. The vast amounts of water (with added electrolytes) should help. I try not to just drink plain water when I have this abnormal thirst. I don't want to add hyponatremia to my list of problems.

Comment from: mommyof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I got a cortisone injection in my hip 2 days ago. I have had nausea and a headache ever since. Just today, I have had shortness of breath and pain in my ribs.

Comment from: LNS76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I received a cortisone shot in my knee and it was relatively painless. He numbed the injection site, I felt a little pressure during the injection, and I felt no pain afterward. I couldn't ask for a better experience.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?