Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have pinched nerves on my upper back. I've had cortisone shots before and it was ok. But after the last one I had, on the way home I started to get sick to my stomach and then my head started spinning really fast, scared the life out of me. I don't know why it happened but I'll never have another shot again.

Comment from: the old dog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 11

After reading some of the after effects of a cortisone injection, I can feel for people that continue to have pain in the knee. Evidently it has to do with the doctor and the placement of the needle. For me, after receiving an injection of cortisone, the pain was gone, and I walked out of the clinic pain free. With a bit of luck the injection will last 6 months, and should it return, I will be able to get another injection. Having the option of a knee replacement or a shot, I went with the shot, glad I did.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a cortisone shot today in my knee; first ever. I cannot sleep, my heart is pounding and I have a horrible headache. On the plus side, the pain in my knee is 80 percent better! Just not sure what to do about the other side effects here at 1:30 in the morning.

Comment from: shartrandditto, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have drastic mood swings with my cortisone shot! I got a shot in both knees, thinking I could handle the mood swings. I can't! I got the shots a week ago. My knees feel like Jell-O, not painful but very unsteady. I had insomnia, night and day sweats, and from anger to crying spells. I'll take the pain! I never want to go through this again.

Comment from: fireplug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had about 6 cortisone injections over the past 2-years and I can say the last two have not been as effective as the first four. My doctor says in about five years I will need a replacement. I am not bone on bone yet but getting close. I can feel it mostly going up stairs or twisting my knee unexpectedly, and kneeling is extremely painful. So I would suggest the shots but can't say how long they might work.

Comment from: Nancy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had a very painful knee due to arthritis. I had a cortisone injection and within an hour the pain was gone. It has been a week and I still am pain free.

Comment from: Tim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a cortisone injection in my right knee due to arthritis. I was light headed for the next few hours. The next couple of days I have had a slight headache, flushing in my face, heartburn and uncontrollable hiccups. Sleeping has been difficult, but I suffer from insomnia so am not sure of the cause. Hiccups seem to be gone on the fourth day. Hope they stay gone.

Comment from: Jeri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My knee x-rays show bone on bone on both knees. Doctor advised maximum dosage of ibuprofen for several months. The pain eventually increased. I had a cortisone shot in both knees 3 days ago. The shot was not painful and no side effects at all. I noticed relief within 12 hours; able to get up much easier. It is now 72 hours after the injection and I would say there is a 95 percent reduction in the pain I was in prior to receiving the injections.

Comment from: mckenla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a cortisone shot two days ago for disc L5-S1. I am very nauseous and flushed and extremely crabby. I am so tired and am falling asleep at work. The pain has subsided a lot but the side effects are driving me crazy!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?