Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: lulu, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have suffered with bursitis in my left hip twice now, last year being the first. I had a cortisone injection which immediately eased the excruciating pain and after a flare up this year even worse than last year"s, I was told a waiting list of five weeks until I could have another injection with NHS. I couldn"t suffer the pain that long so went privately, had the injection this Saturday again with immediate results.

Comment from: C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had a cortisone shot in my knee 2 days ago. Cortisone has helped greatly with osteoarthritis in my hip and knee, also an Achilles tendon issue from years ago that caused pain and limping which cortisone seems to have cured. I have not had another shot in my hip as the pain never returned. I experienced some pain during this injection but it"s worth it as the swelling goes down and pain leaves my knee soon. I did have some pain and swelling at the injection sight for 24 hours, requiring some ice and rest. My mouth and throat were also very dry the first night. No other side effects noted.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had one cortisone injection in my knee to alleviate pain and inflammation from a medial meniscus tear. The only side effect was total alleviation of pain. This lasted about four months. I am starting to feel some twinges again but it"s not nearly as bad as it was before the shot. The shot itself was no big deal.

Comment from: Teresa 3311, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had injections in my knee that seemed to work just fine without side effects. I have recently had a sacroiliac (SI) joint injection two times and have had all kinds of side effects from the steroids. Yeast infection, vision changes, pain, sweating and hot flashes, not to mention eating like a horse. I will not be having the third injection. Also my doctor seemed to like to blackmail me with my medications over these injections... they must be charging an arm and a leg for them. No thanks! Not for me!

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Cortisone injections on my knees keeps me walking pain free for a few months. Before getting them I heard horror stories about how painful they are but I can say for sure those stories are untrue. There is a mild sting when the needle enters but that"s it. The shots seem to take effect within a couple of days but sometimes I feel relief instantly.

Comment from: Paddy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I just had a hip injection for osteoarthritis in right hip 2 days ago. I have minimal pain right now, but my face and ears are beet red. Looking like a rum bum now but pain free. Generally it takes about a week for flushing to calm down, but it is worth it. I had pain traveling from my hip down the back of my leg to my foot, much better than it was, eventually I will need this hip replaced, already had my left one replaced, can"t wait to be pain fee.

Comment from: dwiffle, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I felt tearing in my knee from playing basketball. After the swelling subsided (2 weeks) I went to the doctor. The doctor said I had severe arthritis in my knee, and suggested cortisone and lubricant injection. After the shot the knee felt great and I"ve been playing basketball again for several years (though, with limitations). I am now considering shots to relieve arthritis in my elbows.

Comment from: namasteom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I received a cortisone shot from my physician for osteoarthritis in my left knee. The injection was relatively painless, just a sting going in. They did use the cooling spray. I had significant knee pain, stiffness and swelling in the knee joint. Within moments the swelling decreased and the pain is gone. This was 4 days ago. Knee mobility and stability is greatly improved. Now I can do my yoga pain free.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?