Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: donnalease, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

My fiance got cortisone shots today in both knees now he is in terrible pain. I hate seeing him in pain.

Comment from: Rebcox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

There is literally no cartilage left in my knees. I have been getting corticosteroid/steroid injections for about 4 years, every 4 or 5 months. My last two didn't seem to work as well but the injection do make a huge difference. I go from descending stairs one at a time with a death grip on the handrail to being able to carefully go down without handrails. Side effects for me are headache and insomnia for a few days. Next I hope to get insurance to approve hyaluronate gel injections. Several names make up the 'Visc' drug. It is known to last longer than steroid injections. Stay upright everyone and stretch those joint muscles.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Tomorrow will be one week since I got cortisone shots in both shoulders. I had terrible headache 6 hours later. I still have headache and nausea. I was up all night after the shot, vomiting, dry heaves, shaking, and scared to death. This is third time for shots. Every time I suffer with vomiting violently, high sugar, shaking, and nausea. I was in bed all day the second day. No sleep. I am finished with these shots. Being dehydrated, vomiting, high sugar, no sleep, suffering alone and scared; it's not worth it.

Comment from: lleichenberger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I got severe headache with cortisone knee injections. I received cortisone shots in both knees this morning; now I have a headache that even 2 extra strength headache capsules won't touch. I think last time when I just had on one knee I ended up with headache too, but not this severe. I did Synvisc 6 months ago with no relief from the pain. This is awful!

Comment from: ANGEL, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 23

I received a cortisone shot in my left knee today. This evening I started experiencing foot and shin cramps. It happened before when I received a cortisone shot in my left toe several weeks ago.

Comment from: Sanlaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been receiving cortisone shots to both my knees every 3 months. They have worked very well for relieving the pain. My problem is every 3 months is too long. I feel I need them more frequently.

Comment from: Vegasgirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I had a cortisone injection in my knee 5 days ago. On the second and third days my leg was hurting so bad I had to use crutches. Yesterday and today my leg is on fire, but not red or swollen. Also when I stand I have the sensation of cold water running down the lower leg. Also my blood pressure has been high, 179/90. I wish I had never had this shot.

Comment from: larrym3711, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I just had a cortisone shot in both knees. I had immediate relief and walked out of the doctor's office pain free. Later the pain resumed somewhat, but not much. I need 3 or 4 more days for the final kick-in of the medicine. The shot was painless and I had no other after-effects (swelling, additional pain, etc.). I slept well the first night and am resuming most of my normal daily activity pain free today. I am otherwise in good health and not allergic to anything.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?