Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: cbg11111, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had cortisone injections into my left knee for inflamed bubble in my knee. It was very painful for the next day or so, then when it subsided it was pain free. Now when I run, the pain is worse and more spread out in the knee.

Comment from: Pjane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a cortisone injection in my hip last Monday and excruciating pain followed immediately. This continued all night. After 6 days I had no relief whatsoever, and side effects include red face, itching all over the body, total lack of sleep for 3 days, psychotic episodes, deep depression, suicidal thoughts, and now to top it all my joints are so loose I can hardly stand and I appear to have slipped a disc in my back just washing my hair.

Comment from: tresa c., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have a torn meniscus, and arthritis in my knee so I had a cortisone injection yesterday, the 27 of July. The injection site was sore, but not anything I couldn't handle. I did however have a headache all night, couldn't sleep, and my blood pressure was high. I take medicines for high blood pressure, but it didn't help much. I felt achy all over, and had hot flashes so bad that I had to have a fan blowing directly on me all night. Today I feel somewhat better. Knee isn't as sore, blood pressure is ok, and I am not as hot as I was last night. I did take a nap today, and felt like eating. Headache is slight, and less pain in my knee. Not sure if I will have another shot or not because of the side effects, but depends on how much I can endure with the pain in my knee.

Comment from: lg016, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I never had any symptoms until one night I had a bad stomach ache. I went to the emergency room and had a CT and ultrasound done and found a 5 cm tumor in colon. I had a colonoscopy the next day and found out I had stage 3 colon cancer. Only 22 and I found out I had the same thing my mom died of. Now I am doing chemotherapy using oxaliplatin and Xeloda. I had the mass removed through surgery. I still have swollen lymph nodes that could be from surgery or live cancer cells. It has only been a month and a half since I found out.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a left hip cortisone injection two days ago. The procedure was unpleasant, but I have had wonderful relief. I have no pain now, and I didn't realize how I was so limited. I hope this lasts! Cautiously optimistic but don't want to jinx it!

Comment from: Marqueso, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I received a cortisone injection in each knee in early February. There must have been anesthetic in the shot because I had immediate, total relief which wore off in a day or so. Then I felt no improvement for almost 2 weeks. I had given up hope, but realized one day I was walking stairs with no pain! The inflammation I had had in the right knee, which prevented me from even getting into child's pose in yoga, was gone. From late February through all of March I was blissfully pain-free, doing every activity without symptoms. During April, little by little I started feeling that familiar ache again; now at the end of May it is as though I never had the shots at all. I will definitely get more; I have read 3 times a year is usually the maximum amount. If I can get two pain-free months each time, that equates to half of each year without pain! Thumbs up from me.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?