Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: ollieloop, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have terrible osteoarthritis of both knees. I am overweight and they won't replace them till I lose 100 pounds. I find the shots painful and now the effect only lasts a couple of weeks and they won't inject for three more months. I can't even take anti-inflammatories because I am on blood thinners for atrial fib.

Comment from: irish nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had a cortisone injection in my left hip yesterday. About an hour after having the injection I was in tremendous pain and could hardly move or walk. Now it is 24 hours later and I have been icing and resting my hip but I am still in lots of pain if I walk more than a few minutes. I am very discouraged and am in more pain now than before the injection.

Comment from: Sporty, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I had a cortisone injection into my right knee yesterday. I have had two surgeries on that knee for my ACL and meniscus. The bone is arthritic. I do many sports and basically overused it. I could hardly walk and it was painful even lying in bed. The cortisone shot effects were almost immediate and today the knee feels great (relatively speaking given that it's messed up). I have had many cortisone shots in other joints for other reasons and the stuff always works amazing on me. I never have any side effects just relief.

Comment from: valentinelmb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am a 48 year old female. I've had many cortisone injections since 2000. At 46 my right knee had to be replaced and in April I had to have my left knee replaced. We later found out I had AVN linked to all the cortisone injections I've had. I've had many done from my neck to my tail bone, both hands, and right shoulder. I've been through 35 surgeries since I was 17. I advise people not to get these injections it causes the bone to die.

Comment from: dennis, Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I have had five cortisone injection to rid me of golfers elbow. Three is the maximum. Excessive cortisone caused me to have permanent bone damage, requiring unpleasant surgery which could have been avoided by the use of platelet injection therapy for which I am now not a candidate for. The doctors should have given me visual ultrasound to assess the situation.

Comment from: Dot, 75 or over Female Published: August 31

I had a cortisone injection in my left knee about 25 years ago and never had another problem. In the past five or six months I had very moderate pain in that same knee, but mostly when I have to climb stairs. Yesterday I had an X-ray and the orthopedist said my knee joint was bone-on-bone. Since the pain is "moderate", I requested a cortisone injection. I barely felt the injection at all, and as of this morning I have no pain in that knee. I don't know how long it will last but I feel great!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I had an injection into my ankle. I was at the point of not really being able to walk. I had great results, I can walk again. I don't know how long this will last, but I would do it again.

Comment from: cortisonehelpedme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 63 years old. Dealing with end-stage osteoarthritis in left hip, probably caused by a severe car accident in 2002. In end of July, 2012 the orthopedic specialist suggested that I receive a cortisone shot in this hip due to chronic pain that after approximately 10 year period may be contributing to PSVT heart problems that started occurring since late 2010. The pain during injection was brief and minimal. I am extremely thankful as extensive pain decreased almost immediately. I have had no side effects so far, and am hoping that pain relief can continue for over a 90 day or more period. I normally do not take any medications for the chronic pain. The cortisone has definitely improved my overall sense of well-being. I do believe that there was an easing of pain on the whole left side of my torso. So, I am especially hoping that there are no issues of PSVT. My leg/hip area can ache after some gardening and other activity. However, the pain is relieved after rest and sleep within 24 hour period. The cortisone has definitely helped me.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?