Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: cutter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder nine months ago which has left me with a permanent cold and severe headaches, sneezing , runny nose etc. and I have still got the very painful shoulder. It didn't work so my advice is do not get this injection as it interferes with your defense system although the docs don't tell you this. The doctor says the cold is nothing to do with the injection but I know it is and I have never had a headache in my life and very few colds. My advice is don't get this injection as they do not reveal the true side effects of this injection take heed.

Comment from: jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was given cortisone injections in both hips at the same time. I was up all night with pain that was not helped by Aleve, Advil, or Tylenol. The next day I experienced a flushed face and upper body, and again could not sleep. The pain diminished in my hips, so I feel it was worth it. Previously, I was given one shot, and did not experience the side effects except for increased pain for a day.

Comment from: precious, Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have arthritis in my left knee and it was severely swollen and affecting the way I was walking and my right hip. I was given a shot which was relatively pain free. I walked out of the doctor's office approximately 10 minutes after the shot and was able to bend my knee which I was unable to do previously. After walking two blocks the pain in my hip subsided also. I am now able to walk correctly and have no more pain. The shot was a blessing. I hope it lasts for a while.

Comment from: c1nders77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was very scared prior to having the shot in my hip. I read a lot of the forum sites, etc. However, I had it done yesterday and have to say it was nowhere near as painful I thought it would be. Today the pain has gone, I just have a small ache but at least I can walk up and down stairs without the severe pain I was getting. No side effects, and in 6 weeks time I am getting two shots in my feet and I will not be worried this time. Why I suffered for months on end I don't know when one simple injection that took minutes to do was all I needed.

Comment from: lucynick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have been told that I will need a knee replacement soon and I was offered a cortisone shot in the knee. My knee felt great for a few hours but the pain when the anesthetic wore off was intense. It required icing and elevation and lasted for about 6 hours. The symptoms of the corisone have been bad enough that I would never have another shot. Flushing of the face, insomnia, and the feeling that my head is going to explode. Hopefully, no more shots for me.

Comment from: Heather, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am a 70 year old woman struggling with Osteoarthritis and a labral tear in my left hip. This started two months ago. One month ago I had Prolotherapy which caused a terrible inflammation and pain for three weeks. I discovered Protease IFC and it helped immediately with the inflammation but the pain in the hip was still there. I opened the capsules and made a paste and then followed up with glasses of water. Yesterday I had a cortisone injection at 11 am, and at 5:30 pm my left leg started to throb, feel numb and cramp. I moved around a lot, took 1 Tylenol. Then I took 2 Protease IFC, and very quickly I felt relief. I took 2 more Protease IFC and had a fairly good night. In the morning at 5:30 am I woke up with a headache, and again took 2 Protease IFC which helped right away. Now at 8 am I have somewhat less pain in my hip and am hopeful the healing will continue.

Comment from: Janet K, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a cortisone shot six months ago that really did nothing. I was in pain for those months and the doctor did a heavier duty shot one month ago. In a few hours I couldn't sit down my knee hurt so bad. They called out Vicodin which killed the pain in one hour. I took a second one after six hours and woke up in the morning vomiting. I felt bad for about five days. Now my stomach is queasy, I can't sleep, and just don't feel good.

Comment from: Davily, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I had cortisone shot into my knee two days ago. I had been limping badly, leaning hard on the banister to get up and down stairs. Today I can bounce up the stairs two at a time, pain-free. The day I had the shot, I had difficulty sleeping and a headache the next day. The shot made my face very red--today people are still asking if I've been to the beach. The headache is gone though, and it sure is nice to be able to walk again.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?