Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Babs, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I began experiencing pain in my left hip region while cycling more than a year ago. If felt like a cramped groin muscle. X-rays a couple of months ago revealed bone spurs in my left hip. As the pain worsened, I received the first of two injections two weeks ago. Relief was almost immediate. I experienced about 70% relief within two days, as suggested by the pain clinic. I have had no side effects, but bowled in a league within two hours of the injection, which exercised the hip. I am scheduled for the second of two injections in two days. I'm looking forward to increased relief.

Comment from: Peach, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I was given a cortisone injection at the joint where the big toe is connected to the foot. No problem with the injection site, but I passed out right as I was about to leave the office. My doctor thought it might be from a sudden drop in blood pressure, but I realized after I went on an empty stomach, so that may have contributed. I'm not usually a fainter.

Comment from: CJ59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a Cortisone injection today to my right shoulder. I was told about 15 years ago that I had Tendonitis in my Rotator Cuff. At that time it took only two injections and I have not had pain until this last month. I noticed within minutes I started feeling really warm all over. And my forehead is sweating. I am usually cold so this is really throwing me for a loop. I sure hope I get a good nights sleep. I will see what tomorrow brings.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had my second cortisone injection yesterday. Last year I had one due to tennis elbow. Yesterday bursitis in the hip. I feel better already!!! My face is flushed and my leg is itchy and red but not unbearable. The injection hurt as they had to go all the way in my hip to the bone! The pain only lasted a few minutes. I hope I remain pain free! I also look forward to the flushed face and itching to go away. Overall, it is worth being pain free!

Comment from: Blaise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had a hip injection the day before Thanksgiving. The next day I had so much pain I keep ice on it most of the day. It did not work. At the end of Jan I had a spinal with sedation. I did not feel it. It also did not work. I am scheduled for another in 3 weeks. The MD feels it probably will not help. I have not had any side effects: just pain after the hip shot. I cannot walk far before the pain starts. I was diagnosed with bursitis; and do not have spinal stenosis. I found out I have a slipped disc and above it I have a pinched nerve. I cannot take anti-inflammatory.

Comment from: Bill G, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

My orthopedic surgeon says I can get up to three steroid hip injections a year. I have had three cortisone injections in my right hip joint in the past three years (the latest one today). The first two injections lasted about 18 months before the pain returned to a level that warranted getting another injection. I credit the longevity of the injections to the fact that I get an hour long massage (concentrating on my right hip and associated areas) every other week from a licensed medical massage therapist. My massage therapist states that effective massage therapy tends to extend the long-term effectiveness of the cortisone injections. My orthopedic surgeon is impressed that my injections are effective for this amount of time.

Comment from: Saphire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had pain and soreness in my left hip for over 2 months and my doctor would not even discuss it. She said an injection was too expensive. I went to another doctor who said I had trochanteric bursitis of the hip. She gave me a cortisone injection in my hip. It had lidocaine in it. I did not even feel the shot but immediately had a flushing in my face and a little bit of heart palpitations. About 6 hours later, my heart was beating fast and I could feel in all over my body, in my head especially. I was very nervous but I have so much less pain in my hip a day later that I would take another shot today if the soreness and pain came back in my hip.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?