Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: precious, Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have arthritis in my left knee and it was severely swollen and affecting the way I was walking and my right hip. I was given a shot which was relatively pain free. I walked out of the doctor's office approximately 10 minutes after the shot and was able to bend my knee which I was unable to do previously. After walking two blocks the pain in my hip subsided also. I am now able to walk correctly and have no more pain. The shot was a blessing. I hope it lasts for a while.

Comment from: c1nders77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was very scared prior to having the shot in my hip. I read a lot of the forum sites, etc. However, I had it done yesterday and have to say it was nowhere near as painful I thought it would be. Today the pain has gone, I just have a small ache but at least I can walk up and down stairs without the severe pain I was getting. No side effects, and in 6 weeks time I am getting two shots in my feet and I will not be worried this time. Why I suffered for months on end I don't know when one simple injection that took minutes to do was all I needed.

Comment from: lucynick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have been told that I will need a knee replacement soon and I was offered a cortisone shot in the knee. My knee felt great for a few hours but the pain when the anesthetic wore off was intense. It required icing and elevation and lasted for about 6 hours. The symptoms of the corisone have been bad enough that I would never have another shot. Flushing of the face, insomnia, and the feeling that my head is going to explode. Hopefully, no more shots for me.

Comment from: Heather, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am a 70 year old woman struggling with Osteoarthritis and a labral tear in my left hip. This started two months ago. One month ago I had Prolotherapy which caused a terrible inflammation and pain for three weeks. I discovered Protease IFC and it helped immediately with the inflammation but the pain in the hip was still there. I opened the capsules and made a paste and then followed up with glasses of water. Yesterday I had a cortisone injection at 11 am, and at 5:30 pm my left leg started to throb, feel numb and cramp. I moved around a lot, took 1 Tylenol. Then I took 2 Protease IFC, and very quickly I felt relief. I took 2 more Protease IFC and had a fairly good night. In the morning at 5:30 am I woke up with a headache, and again took 2 Protease IFC which helped right away. Now at 8 am I have somewhat less pain in my hip and am hopeful the healing will continue.

Comment from: Janet K, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a cortisone shot six months ago that really did nothing. I was in pain for those months and the doctor did a heavier duty shot one month ago. In a few hours I couldn't sit down my knee hurt so bad. They called out Vicodin which killed the pain in one hour. I took a second one after six hours and woke up in the morning vomiting. I felt bad for about five days. Now my stomach is queasy, I can't sleep, and just don't feel good.

Comment from: Davily, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I had cortisone shot into my knee two days ago. I had been limping badly, leaning hard on the banister to get up and down stairs. Today I can bounce up the stairs two at a time, pain-free. The day I had the shot, I had difficulty sleeping and a headache the next day. The shot made my face very red--today people are still asking if I've been to the beach. The headache is gone though, and it sure is nice to be able to walk again.

Comment from: ollieloop, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have terrible osteoarthritis of both knees. I am overweight and they won't replace them till I lose 100 pounds. I find the shots painful and now the effect only lasts a couple of weeks and they won't inject for three more months. I can't even take anti-inflammatories because I am on blood thinners for atrial fib.

Comment from: irish nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had a cortisone injection in my left hip yesterday. About an hour after having the injection I was in tremendous pain and could hardly move or walk. Now it is 24 hours later and I have been icing and resting my hip but I am still in lots of pain if I walk more than a few minutes. I am very discouraged and am in more pain now than before the injection.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?