Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: Bone on bone knee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have a knee that has to be replaced. I've been in tolerable pain for five years after arthroscopic surgery, but I started really suffering nine months ago with constant pain and swelling of the joint. I had a cortisone injection five weeks ago, but first the doctor drained the fluid from my knee. That procedure was extremely painful so I did not even feel the cortisone going in. My reaction to the cortisone was bad. My face was on fire for three days and I was in bed for two weeks with extreme weakness and a general sick feeling. The good news is that within 24 hours my knee was pretty much pain free and the relief has been so sweet. In the last few days I can tell the fluid is building up again. I have an appointment with the doctor this week to discuss surgery. I'd like to have surgery before it starts being painful again. All and all I'd have to think long and hard before having anothercortisone shot since the reaction was so extreme.

Comment from: dondon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm wide awake at 3 this morning after having had cortisone injections in my right hip and both knees. I suspected the insomnia might be due to the medication. Now I see my low-grade nausea and headache might, also! This is the first time I've had three sites injected at once. My provider did tell me my knees would probably feel worse before they felt better and they do!

Comment from: d1g1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a cortisone injection in my left hip yesterday. The pain from the injection was not too bad. Today my hip feels good, but my face is flushed and I have a headache. I hope the injection works long term for my bursitis.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 47 and I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees. The pain in my right knee has been constant. I had a steroid injection 3 weeks ago. I am quite cowardly about needles but can honestly say it did not hurt much. I got a red face but it wore off quickly. I had relief from the pain in my knee after about 6 hours. I have been told the effects will last 3 - 6 weeks. Even if they don't last any longer it has been a great relief to sleep through the night without being woken by the pain.

Comment from: michele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I had a cortisone shot yesterday in my right knee. About an hour after the shot, the pain worsened and lasted for hours. My knee is very stiff and it hurts when I walk. But as of this morning it has gotten a little better. I had 2 shots before this and never had any problems. I'm hoping this stiffness will go away so I can walk better.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

It's been four days since I received the injection in my ankle and I am covered with itchy hives and have a flushed face. Benedryl helps moderately. This has never happened before.

Comment from: KimboSlice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had shoulder, arm, and elbow pain for months. I had two shots yesterday and was told not to do too much for the first two days. My arm was killing me afterward. I took some aleve and it helped. This morning there is about 50% less pain and I am very hopeful. I'm having an ultrasound on it tomorrow which is also said to really move the cortisone through the joints. I'm looking forward to next week when things will be starting to get back to normal.

Comment from: roberta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

The second day after the cortisone shot in both knees my face started to show signs of flushing and I felt funny. On the third morning I woke up with an extremely swollen and red face.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?