Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Whimpie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

Cortisone to bursa (hips) worked 1st time, less 2nd time and not at all with the one given by a new doctor who guaranteed results. I wonder if it is reduced effectiveness or if it is all caused by poor placement of needle or quality of the cortisone.

Comment from: blondie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

She was very good, she sprayed it and told me what I would experience when she gave the cortisone injection. I just felt the burning and just a little pressure and she was done before I knew it. Because, to be honest, I was a little scared but she made me feel brave.

Comment from: Joanie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

After the cortisone injection I have pain at the injection site and joint, flushing of face and neck area and I am feeling feverish.

Comment from: Ron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

After a cortisone injection in the knee I had hi blood sugar and palpitations!

Comment from: Scotty25, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have a cortisone injection every year for bursitis on the right hip. This year for the first time I have a rash on my face. I am diabetic type 2 and feel disorientated.

Comment from: thierry, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

The patient received cortisone injection that infected his knee. Weekend after he could not move his knee and became immobile. On Monday doctor drained the knee discovering an infection. Two days later he was in hospital for surgery. Three weeks later he is still bedridden and not much progress toward mobility. Long story, the rest is a nightmare.

Comment from: Billie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I got cortisone shots in both of my knees yesterday. My one knee got stiff but taking my anti-inflammatory pill and icing my knee the stiffness eased up. Today my knees feel great and I can run up and down the steps again.

Comment from: Tcarnes7, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a cortisone hip injection and my leg became totally numb for 5 hours. I actually collapsed in office when first tried to stand. I have had zero relief from the sometimes debilitating pain.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I had a cortisone shot to my knee joint. The next day my pain was gone. It's now six months after the injection and I have no pain.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a cortisone shot in right knee about 2 years ago; no problems, got relief right away. Few days ago it started with pain in my left knee. I went and got a cortisone shot in it and when the physician's assistant (PA) injected the knee I felt the pain go up my leg into my hip. Wonder if she hit a nerve.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?