Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Teresa 3311, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had injections in my knee that seemed to work just fine without side effects. I have recently had a sacroiliac (SI) joint injection two times and have had all kinds of side effects from the steroids. Yeast infection, vision changes, pain, sweating and hot flashes, not to mention eating like a horse. I will not be having the third injection. Also my doctor seemed to like to blackmail me with my medications over these injections... they must be charging an arm and a leg for them. No thanks! Not for me!

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Cortisone injections on my knees keeps me walking pain free for a few months. Before getting them I heard horror stories about how painful they are but I can say for sure those stories are untrue. There is a mild sting when the needle enters but that"s it. The shots seem to take effect within a couple of days but sometimes I feel relief instantly.

Comment from: Paddy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I just had a hip injection for osteoarthritis in right hip 2 days ago. I have minimal pain right now, but my face and ears are beet red. Looking like a rum bum now but pain free. Generally it takes about a week for flushing to calm down, but it is worth it. I had pain traveling from my hip down the back of my leg to my foot, much better than it was, eventually I will need this hip replaced, already had my left one replaced, can"t wait to be pain fee.

Comment from: dwiffle, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I felt tearing in my knee from playing basketball. After the swelling subsided (2 weeks) I went to the doctor. The doctor said I had severe arthritis in my knee, and suggested cortisone and lubricant injection. After the shot the knee felt great and I"ve been playing basketball again for several years (though, with limitations). I am now considering shots to relieve arthritis in my elbows.

Comment from: namasteom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I received a cortisone shot from my physician for osteoarthritis in my left knee. The injection was relatively painless, just a sting going in. They did use the cooling spray. I had significant knee pain, stiffness and swelling in the knee joint. Within moments the swelling decreased and the pain is gone. This was 4 days ago. Knee mobility and stability is greatly improved. Now I can do my yoga pain free.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a cortisone injection last February in one knee after twisting it (previously had arthroscopic surgery in it and most of the meniscus removed). I felt really odd as I walked out to my car; woozy, but I went back to work. The next day my knee was so much better, I wished I'd had both knees done. Now, 10 months later, the other knee kept flaring up so I went in and had both done. Two hours after the injections (which were of limited pain), the knee I had done last year must have flared, I couldn't bend it as easy and had mild to moderate pain as the evening went on. I iced both knees on and off for a couple of hours. I did get the terrible headache and it helped to lie down. Today my knees were hugely better! I started to flush late morning and have a mild headache. But I shopped and did errands for hours! I am slated for knee replacements but depending on how long this lasts, I would really considering doing it again. There are side effects to most everything for me. I was glad that I didn't have plans last night and could have worked today, but was glad I didn't have to.

Comment from: Bramlin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had severe arthritis in both knees because of a congenital birth defect and had my right knee replaced in my early 50s. I will need the left one replaced eventually. I had hyaluronic acid shots but they stopped working so I now have cortisone injected about every 6 to 8 months. I have no real side effects and the pain relief is immediate. Just one important thing, do not walk on the affected leg or knee for 24 hours if you can rest and elevate with ice packs, this is the trick to helping the shot work properly. Then for the next 2 days, try not to walk about too much. Then over the next week gradually start walking more and then back to normal. If I don't rest, the shot isn't so effective.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?