Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.

Comment from: Tcarnes7, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a cortisone hip injection and my leg became totally numb for 5 hours. I actually collapsed in office when first tried to stand. I have had zero relief from the sometimes debilitating pain.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I had a cortisone shot to my knee joint. The next day my pain was gone. It's now six months after the injection and I have no pain.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a cortisone shot in right knee about 2 years ago; no problems, got relief right away. Few days ago it started with pain in my left knee. I went and got a cortisone shot in it and when the physician's assistant (PA) injected the knee I felt the pain go up my leg into my hip. Wonder if she hit a nerve.

Comment from: De, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

After 2 separate long sessions of physiotherapy on my hip, I had a cortisone injection without an ultrasound. I have a lot of pain when walking to the car, and very sleepless night, whole leg twitching. I used lots of wheat packs and had one dose of Nurofen plus; feeling better today.

Comment from: Shelly H, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had a cortisone shot for poison ivy. The first two nights I had insomnia and my breastfed baby had restless sleep. The first week, I had mood swings, I was either very happy and energized or really sad and weepy. Then the following week I started to have nausea, headache and my energy level began to drop, but I was sleeping better. I also got the flushed redness in my cheeks and forehead, but as it is summer, it was a nice enhancement to my tan skin. I also noticed the pain in my Achilles' tendon I had put up with for the past year went away. Still, I hope to never have another shot.

Comment from: unaware, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went for a consultation today on my left knee and was informed that he would give me an injection into my knee. I did not think anything of it when I saw the needle, it did not hurt, and then the shock of another needle (twice as long as the first). Oh my goodness, what a horrible feeling in my knee! I cried and the nurse held my hand. But I have been ok ever since.

Comment from: Gwenifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I got my first cortisone injection this morning in my knee. She told me I can get one every 3 months until I"m emotionally ready for a replacement. I saw my friend the last year before her replacement and she was in a lot more pain than I am so I don"t think it"s time. Anyway, I was told it might take 2 weeks to feel relief but it feels better already and it"s only been a few hours. Now I just have to hope it lasts.

Comment from: female patient, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 31

I had my first cortisone shot two days ago for fluid buildup behind right knee (Baker's cyst). I experienced bad pain and swelling a few hours afterward that lasted through night. I couldn"t put weight on the leg. The pain is gone and I no longer feel pain behind my knee when driving, sitting. However, my knee, leg area above knee are still very tight and swollen. I feel like my entire leg was injected with liquid foam. I'm limping and can't really bend my knee easily. I was told it is a flare-up and could last 5 to 7 days. I don't think I will opt for another shot.

Comment from: MARGOFRE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

The cortisone injection alleviated the pain considerably but caused weight gain and a marked elevation in blood pressure.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side Effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?