Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip

Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee

Comment from: espanola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

Since 2011, I've had a very sharp pain in my shoulders and arms. I had X-Rays done and nothing was found out of the ordinary. The pain in my shoulders got so intense that I can't sleep at night. Finally, my doctor gave me a cortisone injection two weeks ago. Almost all the pain is gone. I can live with the remainder pain. I am so thankful for my doctor. Also, I did not even feel the injection.

Comment from: Linda C, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

Years ago, I had cortisone shots in my shoulder. I currently take them in hip, knees, back, wrist, foot and elbow as needed. I can hardly walk sometimes because of arthritis in my feet. When I go to my orthopedist and get injections, my pain is gone by the time I get off the table. I always have face flushing, but it sure beats the pain.

Comment from: JOAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was given two cortisone shots three weeks ago – one in my shoulder, and one in my hand. I could not sleep for three nights and had no appetite. Several days later, I started experiencing rapid heartbeats and nervousness, my body feels like I am in a different zones, and I am fighting to get back. I am also experiencing a lack of concentration. It's there, but I can't seem to get it together. It is a horrible feeling. How long will this feeling last? I'm wondering if I should see a doctor again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have been experiencing more and more pain in both of my knees. This has been going on for years, but only recently has it worsened. I'm stiff in the morning and stairs are a problem, etc. I thought this pain has increased as a result of a double fracture to my ankle some weeks ago, but I am not sure. In any event, I have gone to two doctors and both diagnosed it as knee arthritis. My knee cap is rubbing bone-on-bone and little cartilage is left. One doctor wanted me to try cortisone shots before looking into synthetic knee injections. I had the shots yesterday afternoon, and by evening I was walking more upright, felt no pain in knees, and my foot even felt better. The doctor said I might not see relief for two days, but two hours worked for me. I am so excited that I am pain free! I only hope I don't develop those severe side effects as reported by one person here.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had my first injection on my knee to help with pain and swelling that had been going on for several months. At first I was nervous because I really don't like needles, but I honestly didn't feel anything. It hurt to walk for an hour or two afterward, but the overall pain in my knee has decreased.

Comment from: 4evertrue2yourheart, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Last week I had an injection of Depo-Medrol for my knee. It was the first and last—ever! A few hours after the injection, I felt pain in the back of my knee. I assumed it was normal because I didn't know any better. I finally went to the doctor yesterday when I realized how swollen it was. The doctor sent me this morning for an urgent MRI. Can a steroid injection cause a baker's cyst? I am waiting for the results.

Comment from: lisah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had a Celestone injection in my right elbow (also my dominant hand) for medial epicondylitis. At first, I was sorry that I got it done because my hand swelled for about a week. I called the doctor's office and they told me it's a common side effect. But I've been pain- free for about six weeks now and am hoping this will last a few months. Especially since the alternative is surgery--which sounds extensive and painful.

Comment from: tweethep, Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a cortisone injection for a torn meniscus of the left knee. I also was diagnosed with a Bakers Cyst in June 2012. As of today, the cortisone shot has been working very well. I just had a cortisone shot today for the right knee due to having surgery for Achilles rupture almost three years ago. The black boot I had to wear rubbed against the knee causing pain.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Side effects Question: What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?