Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery

What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?

Comment from: bue, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

Tubes were put in my ears to go in the oxygen chamber. I couldn't stand and the tubes were removed in 4 days. I am now having problems with ear aches. One ear is trying to close up over the ear drum. The other isn't closed up yet. I wish I had never done it, I had an open wound. Doctor said I need to do that to get it healed. I hope I get they get ok but right now I am in pain with earaches.

Comment from: LPN., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

In 2008 I had my first stent due to unstable angina. Three years later I had a heart attack affecting two major arteries and was stented. The following three years seemed as though I could almost mark the date of when my LAD (left anterior descending artery) was blocking again. Recently I had symptoms and thought it early as I had just had my LAD ballooned so nothing could happen that fast. Wrong! I had all my usual symptoms and a frightening added one. Driving on my way to work, my lower arm and hand became numb. I tried to shake it off without success. Then one side of my face became numb. Catheterization showed an 85 percent block after only 6 months. The other stents were good so I was told I had an unlucky LAD and would needs bypass surgery. The surgery was a harrowing experience, I think. Fortunate to have little memory of some of the worst. I returned home (a month ago). All seemed to be going well. Then I had MRSA in my incision site. Painful, scary and was on an oral equivalent of an IV medicine called Zyvox. For me the side effects were very unpleasant. The MRSA has improved. Then at age 60, vaginal bleeding (which is from the stress on one's body). Then a urinary infection and thrush. Now at week 5 those extras are either gone or healing. I cannot wait to see what it will be like full force with my heart working the best it has in 7 years. I finally start rehabilitation next week. No depression. I never thought I would live until 60.

Comment from: Chuck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I'm a wheelchair bound type II diabetic who had been through 3 chemical stress tests and 3 angiograms before a cardiologist finally said, 'you can't fix this with stents'. I had 2 others tell me that I had 2 and 3 blockages respectively, but they wanted to consult with other doctors before doing stents. Thank goodness this third doctor and the associated surgeon took on my case. I had my coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) procedure on May 15th. My surgeon's partners all advised him not to do my surgery due to my immobility, neurological disease, diabetes, and obesity, but this doctor was fantastic. My recovery was absolutely awful. I've had numerous surgeries in the past, even life-saving emergency surgeries, but never before have I been in such absolute pain and felt as helpless as I did after the CABG. I was a serious athlete when I was younger, and now I couldn't move my arms! They didn't warn me about that, or the constant tearing and rebuilding of the entire chest wall of muscles as you start to use your arms again. I'm writing this in late October and I can still feel a tiny bit of play in my upper sternum that worries and bothers me from time to time, however after the Summer is over I'm happy to report I can once again lift my 3 youngest grandchildren and that makes me happy. I've also lost over 55 lb. since the first time I saw the new cardiologist in January of this year, and have not used a single shot of insulin (I was using long and short acting insulin prior to the surgery), and my A1C has gone down 2 entire points. I'm thriving, but the first couple of months were horrible, I won't lie about it.

Comment from: ewok, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had triple bypass surgery 7 weeks ago. I am slowly returning to normal. I am still in a lot of pain from the surgery and still having to take a pain pill every so often. The skin around the surgery is very sensitive even to clothing touching it. I still get tired and have problems with some movements. I go back for 1st post operation visit in 3 days. Hopefully, I will be cleared to drive. I have been walking every day and I have resumed some household chores. I knew it would take a while but it seems like recovery is very slow. I sneezed for the 1st time yesterday and thought I was going to pass out from the pain around the surgery site! Some motions just hurt! I am grateful to be able to be in recovery and the angina has seemed to go away.

Comment from: Evernew, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

It's been seven weeks since a triple bypass. I was going in for hip replacement and failed the pre-operation test. I never had chest pains and the cardiologist said it looked like I had two heart attacks. I feel good, but as I said, I never had any pain. So, no, I do not feel better than before the surgery. They said my heart was strong. My exercise has been on a stationary bike, since walking is a problem. I have always been in good shape and fairly active. I did smoke a pipe for years no cigarettes). My father died of a heart valve infection at 78.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?