Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery

What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?

Comment from: ewok, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had triple bypass surgery 7 weeks ago. I am slowly returning to normal. I am still in a lot of pain from the surgery and still having to take a pain pill every so often. The skin around the surgery is very sensitive even to clothing touching it. I still get tired and have problems with some movements. I go back for 1st post operation visit in 3 days. Hopefully, I will be cleared to drive. I have been walking every day and I have resumed some household chores. I knew it would take a while but it seems like recovery is very slow. I sneezed for the 1st time yesterday and thought I was going to pass out from the pain around the surgery site! Some motions just hurt! I am grateful to be able to be in recovery and the angina has seemed to go away.

Comment from: Evernew, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

It's been seven weeks since a triple bypass. I was going in for hip replacement and failed the pre-operation test. I never had chest pains and the cardiologist said it looked like I had two heart attacks. I feel good, but as I said, I never had any pain. So, no, I do not feel better than before the surgery. They said my heart was strong. My exercise has been on a stationary bike, since walking is a problem. I have always been in good shape and fairly active. I did smoke a pipe for years no cigarettes). My father died of a heart valve infection at 78.

Comment from: Tartan eyes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Four years ago, at age 63, I experienced a heart attack. Before then, I led a healthy lifestyle, have always been slim, active, a non-drinker, non-smoker, and a regular gym member. It came as a surprise when I was told I needed a quadruple bypass (90% blockages). I had been taking blood pressure tablets and statins for 10 years and I thought it was all under control with regular check-ups. I should mention there is a family history of heart disease. I seemed to recover from surgery quickly, but three weeks out of hospital I hit a wall and seemed to deteriorate more each day. The doctors could find no reason for it. I felt I was being slowly poisoned. Against the advice of my cardiologist, I decided to detox myself of statins when I found it difficult to walk, hold up my head, and was unable to sleep because of muscle cramps and pain. Within 48 hours of stopping the medication, I felt like a new woman. A couple years ago, aware of the benefits of statins, I asked my doctor if a newer, small-dosage statin was available. I started with half the regular dosage and seemed to tolerate it. A year later I started taking the whole tablet. It may not be the high dosage that my cardiologist would prefer, but I am grateful that I've been given a second chance, not only with amazing cardiac surgery but with medication that may delay any future cardiac problems.

Comment from: Speedracerx, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I'm almost 65 and had my CABG 18 weeks ago. I had a 4.5, as one of the original quad failed during the recovery phase and I needed to go back in for a replacement. Due to an A-Fib problem, I spent almost 10 days in the CCU, only starting to walk around on day 8. Recovery in the CCU was OK, except the food had no taste, and I lost 10 pounds. At 18 weeks, I gained back 7 pounds (now at 140lbs, 5'6"). Once at home, I got off the pain meds relatively quickly, only using the heavy stuff to help me sleep at night. The chest pains were only "bad" when I moved too quickly, or coughed felt like wires stabbing my chest. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing sharp pains in my chest (nerves healing) and a feeling like I have a three pound medallion around my neck pressing on my chest. When I go for a brisk walk it feels loose inside my chest. I also still have numbness in my lower leg and foot, due to the nerves being severed during the vein harvest. Everything is healing nicely, have some nice "battle scars" to show my grandkids. Whenever I felt a little down or sorry for myself because of my slow recovery (I thought I should be able to snowboard at 10 weeks), I thought about the alternative and how lucky I was to have the CABG done, and I snap right out of it. Cardiac rehab really helps!

Comment from: emmey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a triple bypass in 2001 with three blocked at 90%. I had gone to doctors for YEARS (about 20) and was blown off probably because I was a woman. Stress test showed nothing nor did the EKG so they and I gave up and when I would be exercising and have chest pains and jaw pains I would stop and take an asprin and when it went away I would continue. Finally in 2011 I went to another doctor and he did the cardiolite test and sent me to a cardiologist right away. Surgery was about a couple of weeks later as I wanted to see the best at it. Had it on a Tuesday and was home Saturday. From then on it was a piece of cake. The only medication I took was Darvocet and that was from pain from the vein or artery near the knee. Was doing everything but had to take it easy so the chest could heal. Do not remember pain there. The surgery was a cure and a relief. Just couldn't go back to work because I taught and had to be able to take a hit when on recess duty. I am short and the kids didn't always see me. Should have reported all the doctors to the state medical board, but I was just happy to feel good. Besides exercising, eating correctly, and small in stature and weight was about 100, I was doing everything right but it made no difference, obviously.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?