Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Comment from: Jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I have been unable to walk without a cane or walker since my triple coronary artery bypass graft 2 years ago. I have had physiotherapy and acupuncture during that time with little change. I walked into that hospital but was not able to walk out on my own. Any similar experiences, I would love to hear. I'm an 82 year old male in good health otherwise.

Comment from: Coolbreeze, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had the coronary artery bypass graft surgery ten years ago in 2005. I was found to need it after having an EKG test pre-surgery for a herniated navel. I was told I had had a heart attack but I never felt a thing. Silent ischemia I am told. Surgery went well, I was home in five days and back to work in six weeks. By the way, it was a double bypass using the mammary artery. I have had no problems since then.

Comment from: D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 59 year old female and had a heart attack 9 months ago. I had a triple bypass 2 weeks later and left the hospital 4 days after surgery. I had no prior symptoms and my cholesterol was within normal parameters. I was not on any medications other than a pill for a stomach ulcer. I've been told my recovery has been normal but I still am extremely sensitive on my incision area and some days it's really bothersome. Crazy after all this time. I even still get stabbing pain in my leg where they took a graft. I also experienced some form of depression for the first few weeks although nothing I was medicated for. I think it was based out of betrayal of what I felt my body 'did' to me and fear of what I went through and what can happen again. I still feel fear of something recurring when previous to the event, I always believed I would live a long and reasonably healthy life; now I am just not that confident. This has been a long process and I only hope that one day I may feel my normal self again; or perhaps this is my new normal from here on in.

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had my 1st heart attack at age 43 (1988). I had innumerable angioplasties, emergency room (ER) trips, and stents. I had 4 way coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) at age 54 (1999) at a world famous hospital. It solved heart problems for years, but caused cognitive impairment so bad I had to go on Social Security Disability. My brain gradually rewired itself over a ten-year period. After 15 years (2014), grafts and veins began to disintegrate. Another heart attack, trips to ER, and 8 stents. I'm scheduled for CABG redo next week (January 2016). Hope my brain can take it.

Comment from: Kimba, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I had 5 bypasses in July 2014. I was 10 hours on the table due to graft failing but survived. I was doing great for 5 months (till December) and it now appears that one of the grafts has failed again. I have shortness of breath without too much effort but I still try to walk 60 minutes every day, just at a slower pace. Cardiologist says to wait for a few months and see what happens, they may be able to stent it but the failed graft is where it is connected to the heart, so not good, hoping that it will repair itself. I am not sure that I trust the cardiologist much, he doesn't say much unless you push for information. I am getting a second opinion in April.

Comment from: sandit, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) on December 31st 2015. I'm home for the 7th week and have similar experience as some others who have posted here. Sneeze or cough and your sternum feels like a knife is being driven into it.

Comment from: Bien, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

My coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) was in 2004, I had quadruple bypass and I have one that failed and rerouted by itself. My arteries where removed from my right arm. I've been in the hospital 3 times because of me thinking a heart attack was imminent and had angioplasty each time and was given a clean bill of health. Fear plays a huge part in any healing. I have shooting sting pains in my left side by my shoulder to the breast. I added nitro to my other meds that include metoprolol, Norvasc, lisinopril, and simvastatin, plus aspirin. I work but am wondering how much stress I can take. Sleeping pills and anxiety drugs only hurt but might work short time. Good Luck.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery Question: What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?