Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Comment from: Johntb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I was 39 and misdiagnosed by my doctor. He actually said to get on a treadmill and start working out. Even after I told him my family history and my symptoms (shortness of breath, tingling in my hands and feet, out of control diabetes). I asked if his malpractice was paid up because if I die my wife and kids were going to be rich. Surgeon and team who did the coronary artery bypass graft were great (different doctor). Anyway I was told I would feel great and like a new man. Yeah, that never happened and thanks to Obamacare my wife lost our benefits and I had to get them at my work. It cost her USD 200/month. It now costs me USD 200/ week. Needless to say money is tight and I still feel awful (7 years later. Oh, and I had another massive heart attack this year. Now I have congestive heart failure. Wished I never did it and just lived out my days and never went through all the pain. I can honestly say I felt better before the surgery. That was just my experience and much more involved than this. I have spoken to a few other people who had similar experiences about feeling better before the surgery and never feeling the same again. I really do wish I died so as to not continue with this pain.

Comment from: Jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I have been unable to walk without a cane or walker since my triple coronary artery bypass graft 2 years ago. I have had physiotherapy and acupuncture during that time with little change. I walked into that hospital but was not able to walk out on my own. Any similar experiences, I would love to hear. I'm an 82 year old male in good health otherwise.

Comment from: Coolbreeze, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had the coronary artery bypass graft surgery ten years ago in 2005. I was found to need it after having an EKG test pre-surgery for a herniated navel. I was told I had had a heart attack but I never felt a thing. Silent ischemia I am told. Surgery went well, I was home in five days and back to work in six weeks. By the way, it was a double bypass using the mammary artery. I have had no problems since then.

Comment from: D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 59 year old female and had a heart attack 9 months ago. I had a triple bypass 2 weeks later and left the hospital 4 days after surgery. I had no prior symptoms and my cholesterol was within normal parameters. I was not on any medications other than a pill for a stomach ulcer. I've been told my recovery has been normal but I still am extremely sensitive on my incision area and some days it's really bothersome. Crazy after all this time. I even still get stabbing pain in my leg where they took a graft. I also experienced some form of depression for the first few weeks although nothing I was medicated for. I think it was based out of betrayal of what I felt my body 'did' to me and fear of what I went through and what can happen again. I still feel fear of something recurring when previous to the event, I always believed I would live a long and reasonably healthy life; now I am just not that confident. This has been a long process and I only hope that one day I may feel my normal self again; or perhaps this is my new normal from here on in.

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had my 1st heart attack at age 43 (1988). I had innumerable angioplasties, emergency room (ER) trips, and stents. I had 4 way coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) at age 54 (1999) at a world famous hospital. It solved heart problems for years, but caused cognitive impairment so bad I had to go on Social Security Disability. My brain gradually rewired itself over a ten-year period. After 15 years (2014), grafts and veins began to disintegrate. Another heart attack, trips to ER, and 8 stents. I'm scheduled for CABG redo next week (January 2016). Hope my brain can take it.

Comment from: sandit, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) on December 31st 2015. I'm home for the 7th week and have similar experience as some others who have posted here. Sneeze or cough and your sternum feels like a knife is being driven into it.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery Question: What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?