Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had my 1st heart attack at age 43 (1988). I had innumerable angioplasties, emergency room (ER) trips, and stents. I had 4 way coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) at age 54 (1999) at a world famous hospital. It solved heart problems for years, but caused cognitive impairment so bad I had to go on Social Security Disability. My brain gradually rewired itself over a ten-year period. After 15 years (2014), grafts and veins began to disintegrate. Another heart attack, trips to ER, and 8 stents. I'm scheduled for CABG redo next week (January 2016). Hope my brain can take it.

Comment from: Kimba, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I had 5 bypasses in July 2014. I was 10 hours on the table due to graft failing but survived. I was doing great for 5 months (till December) and it now appears that one of the grafts has failed again. I have shortness of breath without too much effort but I still try to walk 60 minutes every day, just at a slower pace. Cardiologist says to wait for a few months and see what happens, they may be able to stent it but the failed graft is where it is connected to the heart, so not good, hoping that it will repair itself. I am not sure that I trust the cardiologist much, he doesn't say much unless you push for information. I am getting a second opinion in April.

Comment from: Bien, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

My coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) was in 2004, I had quadruple bypass and I have one that failed and rerouted by itself. My arteries where removed from my right arm. I've been in the hospital 3 times because of me thinking a heart attack was imminent and had angioplasty each time and was given a clean bill of health. Fear plays a huge part in any healing. I have shooting sting pains in my left side by my shoulder to the breast. I added nitro to my other meds that include metoprolol, Norvasc, lisinopril, and simvastatin, plus aspirin. I work but am wondering how much stress I can take. Sleeping pills and anxiety drugs only hurt but might work short time. Good Luck.

Comment from: steve m, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had progressive symptoms for three months. It started when on treadmill and it was a tightness in my throat. I used to have asthma so I thought it was that. I slowed down a bit and it went away. Then I finished running and exercising. It was on going. Then it happened a few times when I was having relations with my girlfriend. It got worse the last time and I had to leave the room and sit and let it pass. Then I had it after walking ten minutes and even brushing my teeth. By then I was having the jaw and wrist pains as well. Stress test was strongly positive within minutes. I was unstentable, blockages too long. I bit the bullet and went right in for coronary artery bypass graft. I am 54 years old and always healthy.

Comment from: ewok, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had triple bypass in November 2013. The surgery was successful. I am fortunate to have had such a good team of doctors and nurses. When I woke up with the breathing tube I was not happy! Thankfully I came out soon and it all now seems like a dream. I am grateful for the lifesaving surgery after 3 heart attacks and 4 stents. I still had major blockages and had to have the surgery. I am hopeful for a long life.

Comment from: H, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I had 4 coronary artery bypass grafts (CABG) in 1997 and again in 2012. After all these years my sternum still hurts when I take a deep breath.

Comment from: Lucky Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I had quadruple bypass eight days ago. My body was strong and fit but the coronary arteries were clogged. I have made swift progress since and my vitals are all good. I walk some every day and get out in the sunshine. I know the chest pain will go away but worry a little about the ribs. My diet was good before but my intent is to make it excellent and hope to get back to running some.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery Question: What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?