Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Comment from: Bien, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

My coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) was in 2004, I had quadruple bypass and I have one that failed and rerouted by itself. My arteries where removed from my right arm. I've been in the hospital 3 times because of me thinking a heart attack was imminent and had angioplasty each time and was given a clean bill of health. Fear plays a huge part in any healing. I have shooting sting pains in my left side by my shoulder to the breast. I added nitro to my other meds that include metoprolol, Norvasc, lisinopril, and simvastatin, plus aspirin. I work but am wondering how much stress I can take. Sleeping pills and anxiety drugs only hurt but might work short time. Good Luck.

Comment from: steve m, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had progressive symptoms for three months. It started when on treadmill and it was a tightness in my throat. I used to have asthma so I thought it was that. I slowed down a bit and it went away. Then I finished running and exercising. It was on going. Then it happened a few times when I was having relations with my girlfriend. It got worse the last time and I had to leave the room and sit and let it pass. Then I had it after walking ten minutes and even brushing my teeth. By then I was having the jaw and wrist pains as well. Stress test was strongly positive within minutes. I was unstentable, blockages too long. I bit the bullet and went right in for coronary artery bypass graft. I am 54 years old and always healthy.

Comment from: ewok, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had triple bypass in November 2013. The surgery was successful. I am fortunate to have had such a good team of doctors and nurses. When I woke up with the breathing tube I was not happy! Thankfully I came out soon and it all now seems like a dream. I am grateful for the lifesaving surgery after 3 heart attacks and 4 stents. I still had major blockages and had to have the surgery. I am hopeful for a long life.

Comment from: bladerunner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had been experiencing tightness in my throat and pressure in my chest for several months during exercise. Cardiac artery disease runs in my family. I had been taking statins and seeing a physician every 6 months for 10 years. At my next appointment my doctor sent me for a stress test which I failed badly. I went for catheterization, where I hoped to have a stent or two inserted. I had two blockages: one 90% and the other 100%. I had CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) surgery the following day. Much like everyone else, I felt like I had been run over by truck. I was one day in ICU, 4 days in the hospital. Started walking 2 days after surgery. I started cardio rehab 5 weeks later for 12 weeks 3 times a week and felt better each day. Chest is still a little sore and sensitive to cold after 4 1/2 months. I haven't felt this good in about 4 or 5 years. Cardio rehab was the best and is must do. It only works if you do the work. Many thanks to my family and friends, I had great support group.

Comment from: 3xcabg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

A year ago in March, I had what I thought would be a routine follow-up to a cardiac stress test. I wasn't able to get my heart rate high enough, so I had to use the chemical stress test. The doctor said something didn't look right with the stress test, so it was followed up with cardiac catheterization. During the cardiac catheterization, several blockages of 80 to 90% were discovered; this was on a Friday. Since I had tried Plavix and couldn't tolerate it, stents were not an option. (Also I am a type 2 diabetic.) I had triple bypass surgery the next Monday. They managed any pain I might have been experiencing very well. I did experience nausea for several weeks after the surgery and was on an anti-nausea agent. I followed up the surgery with cardiac rehab therapy three times a week for 12 weeks. I still sometimes experience a greater sensitivity to cold. Other than that, most things are back to normal, and I exercise several times a week. I just concluded a one-year follow-up stress test, which I passed with flying colors.

Comment from: andrew2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had bypass 8 years ago, just had catheterization and all is clear.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery Question: What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?