Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Comment from: Grateful Alive, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a quadruple coronary artery bypass graft at age 36. I was totally asymptomatic. Thanks to a very alert physician, I was able to avoid a heart attack. Surgery itself was a great success, with outstanding care at the hospital. The post-operation period was very critical both mentally and physically. The pain during that time was unbearable. I had constant mood swings and despair. It took a while to get through it all, with great support and understanding from family. I feel very good now with a strict diet, exercising, and avoiding people who cause me stress. I have multiple medications and regular follow-ups with my cardiologist as well as an annual nuclear stress test.

Comment from: Larryob10, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had emergency CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) in 1991. I had congenitally small artery. I was athletic and well-muscled and post-surgery pain was intense. They said big strong guys suffer a lot more. Plus I think they used bigger chain saws 22 years ago. I had 4 stents in the mammary artery that was the bypass. Warranty had probably expired on that. It is good to go for another 22 and that works for me.

Comment from: revyman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a quadruple bypass on the 5th of March of this year and all seemed to be well. After a week or so I was released from the hospital and was glad to be home. As the days went on i was feeling that something was not right. I was always getting nose bleeds that required a visit to the local hospital to solve and as well as the days went on it seemed that I was feeling much worse rather than better. After another x-ray it was found that all the wires used to sew the sternum had broken and another surgery was required. Another three weeks in the hospital and I am home again. Just goes to show that it is not always as easy as they say it is all the time. After a total of 9-10 total hours under the knife things have been taking a long time to get back to normal. Taste and smell seemed to change and even something as tasty as milk did not taste good at all for a few weeks. It has been three weeks since the last surgery and things seem to be on the mend now. A word of caution! Do not under any circumstances over exert yourself when you get home. Take it real easy and do the heart rehab program for sure. We don't seem to be able to determine exactly why all the wires broke, but I tell you I would not wish this on any man that walked the face of this earth.

Comment from: Lost, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My Mother was 80 years old. She survived the CABG surgery, 24 hours later was alert and tolerating commands, responding to family, then the next time around the 33rd hour she took a turn for the worse. As a family we have had our Mom ripped away from us. I do believe in the outstanding medical marvels in today's era; with a word of caution, read and ask questions of your Doctor about everything you can think of. Ask if alternatives are available even if the procedure is an emergency. This will be a life changing event. Hopefully a positive one for the majority, but like my Mother who I believe was/is in the minority it is better to know all that is available to you. My Mother loved life and had a very positive attitude. She was very independent and in moderately fair condition, before surgery. She had all the "old age" conditions that one would have but she tolerated all very well. I wish things could have been different.

Comment from: BillT, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

In spite of being in good physical condition, I reported to an emergency room on December 30, 2008 with severe chest pain. I was discharged a day later after a PET scan assured us there was a low risk of heart disease. Unstable angina continued, so I changed hospitals and doctors. I had an arteriogram performed January 22, 2009 and triple bypass the next day. I was home after four days. I went back the second day for an ablation to treat an atrial flutter. I returned to work after two weeks, and flew to a distant city on business February 18 with no problems other than requiring frequent rest during the trip. I'm eight weeks from surgery, and I still require lots of sleep. It was a mistake trying normal sex at eight weeks, however. Other than chest muscles making a slow recovery and being sensitive to cold, life is normal and wonderful. I'm looking forward to working back up in weight lifting.

Comment from: Rob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I am a 40yr old male, with inherited heart disease, at age 35 I had my first problem with a DVT. 8 months later I experienced my first Angina attack. I underwent an Angiogram and had 2 Stents placed with Angioplasty. One year later I had a heart attack and 2 more stents placed. ( I now have 4), one year later I had another symptom of Angina underwent another Angiogram and had a heart attack during the procedure, was taken to ICU with a heart catheter left in my heart until I was able to undergo a 5 Bypass procedure. I was hospitalized with DVT in both legs 10 days post surgery. I am finally almost normal. I am concerned with how many years I will live before I must undergo another open heart procedure. I am an only child. All my mother's brothers have undergone heart attacks and Bypass surgery.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery Question: What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?