Patient Comments: Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Comment from: Lucky Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I had quadruple bypass eight days ago. My body was strong and fit but the coronary arteries were clogged. I have made swift progress since and my vitals are all good. I walk some every day and get out in the sunshine. I know the chest pain will go away but worry a little about the ribs. My diet was good before but my intent is to make it excellent and hope to get back to running some.

Comment from: joppa, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

Dad just had coronary artery bypass graft 6 weeks ago and is always feeling the cold.

Comment from: bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I had double coronary artery bypass on 1/22/15, not that long ago and everything is going pretty good now. I wonder if anyone else has pretty bad pain where they cut the breast bone, while laying on your side.

Comment from: 3xcabg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

A year ago in March, I had what I thought would be a routine follow-up to a cardiac stress test. I wasn't able to get my heart rate high enough, so I had to use the chemical stress test. The doctor said something didn't look right with the stress test, so it was followed up with cardiac catheterization. During the cardiac catheterization, several blockages of 80 to 90% were discovered; this was on a Friday. Since I had tried Plavix and couldn't tolerate it, stents were not an option. (Also I am a type 2 diabetic.) I had triple bypass surgery the next Monday. They managed any pain I might have been experiencing very well. I did experience nausea for several weeks after the surgery and was on an anti-nausea agent. I followed up the surgery with cardiac rehab therapy three times a week for 12 weeks. I still sometimes experience a greater sensitivity to cold. Other than that, most things are back to normal, and I exercise several times a week. I just concluded a one-year follow-up stress test, which I passed with flying colors.

Comment from: Grateful Alive, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a quadruple coronary artery bypass graft at age 36. I was totally asymptomatic. Thanks to a very alert physician, I was able to avoid a heart attack. Surgery itself was a great success, with outstanding care at the hospital. The post-operation period was very critical both mentally and physically. The pain during that time was unbearable. I had constant mood swings and despair. It took a while to get through it all, with great support and understanding from family. I feel very good now with a strict diet, exercising, and avoiding people who cause me stress. I have multiple medications and regular follow-ups with my cardiologist as well as an annual nuclear stress test.

Comment from: 4 in play, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am diabetic and happy with the results of coronary artery bypass graft, but I am not even close to healing in 6 weeks. In fact it is going on 10 months and the rib is very painful and still moves a lot.

Comment from: Larryob10, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had emergency CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) in 1991. I had congenitally small artery. I was athletic and well-muscled and post-surgery pain was intense. They said big strong guys suffer a lot more. Plus I think they used bigger chain saws 22 years ago. I had 4 stents in the mammary artery that was the bypass. Warranty had probably expired on that. It is good to go for another 22 and that works for me.

Comment from: revyman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a quadruple bypass on the 5th of March of this year and all seemed to be well. After a week or so I was released from the hospital and was glad to be home. As the days went on i was feeling that something was not right. I was always getting nose bleeds that required a visit to the local hospital to solve and as well as the days went on it seemed that I was feeling much worse rather than better. After another x-ray it was found that all the wires used to sew the sternum had broken and another surgery was required. Another three weeks in the hospital and I am home again. Just goes to show that it is not always as easy as they say it is all the time. After a total of 9-10 total hours under the knife things have been taking a long time to get back to normal. Taste and smell seemed to change and even something as tasty as milk did not taste good at all for a few weeks. It has been three weeks since the last surgery and things seem to be on the mend now. A word of caution! Do not under any circumstances over exert yourself when you get home. Take it real easy and do the heart rehab program for sure. We don't seem to be able to determine exactly why all the wires broke, but I tell you I would not wish this on any man that walked the face of this earth.

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Causes Question: What caused you to need a coronary artery bypass graft?
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Recovery Question: What was recovery like after your coronary artery bypass graft procedure?