Corns and calluses facts
- Corns and calluses are annoying and sometimes painful thickenings that form in the skin in areas of pressure.
- Symptoms and signs of corns and calluses include
- a thick, hard patch of skin;
- bump on the skin;
- area of flaky, dry skin;
- pain or tenderness of the affected area.
- Corns and calluses can be treated with many types of medicated products to chemically pare down the thickened, dead skin.
- Corns and calluses can be prevented by reducing or eliminating the circumstances that lead to increased pressure at specific points on the hands and feet.
- People with fragile skin or poor circulation in the feet (including many people with diabetes or peripheral arterial disease) should consult their health-care professional as soon as corns or calluses develop. Continue Reading
Reviewed on 2/18/2015
Get the Latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!