- Understanding COPD Slideshow
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
- Energy Foods for COPD Slideshow Pictures
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) FAQs
- Patient Comments: COPD - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: COPD - Causes
- Patient Comments: COPD - Treatment
- Patient Comments: COPD - Experience
- Find a local Pulmonologist in your town
- COPD facts
- What is the definition of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?
- What causes COPD?
- What are the signs and symptoms of COPD?
- What increases your risk for developing COPD?
- What are the four stages of COPD?
- What other diseases or conditions contribute to COPD?
- What kind of doctor treats COPD?
- When to Seek Medical Care for COPD
- How is COPD diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for COPD?
- What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise) and home remedies and care are recommended for people with COPD?
- What medications treat COPD?
- What other supplemental therapies help treat COPD complications and symptoms?
- What surgery is available to treat COPD?
- Can COPD be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a person with COPD?
Quick GuideCOPD Stages, Symptoms, Emphysema, Bronchitis
What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise) and home remedies and care are recommended for people with COPD?
The most effective and preventative therapy for COPD is to avoid contact with tobacco smoke. If you use tobacco products - quit.
Exercise for COPD
If a person with COPD has mild to moderate symptoms, often they can benefit from exercise programs that can increase their stamina and slow the advancing pace of COPD disease.
Diet, Supplements, Therapy, and Complementary Medicine for COPD
A number of over-the-counter (OTC) supplements and foods are reportedly helpful in reducing symptoms of COPD. Home remedies for COPD include:
- Vitamin E to improve lung function
- Omega-3 fatty acids to decrease inflammation (found in supplements or foods such as salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, soybeans, canola oil)
- Antioxidants to reduce inflammation (found in kale, tomatoes, broccoli, green tea, red grapes)
- Breathing techniques relaxation therapy, meditation
- Acupuncture COPD symptom reduction by needle placement
The person with COPD should discuss the use of any home remedies or supplements with their physician before beginning such treatments because some treatments may interfere with ongoing therapy.