Patient Comments: Constipation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?

Comment from: Sandyboots, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been constipated all my life. For years I"ve been using prune juice, about one cup full. I warm it up in the microwave oven and then drink it first thing in the morning. Then I also drink about 6 oz. of water. I do this every other day and have had good results. I suggest for first time users, use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Warming it is a must. You will get quick results. You"ll have to experiment with the amount of prune juice. Good luck!

Comment from: Faerychic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had trouble with constipation all my life. I can remember having my first enema at age 5 and castor oil every night. I have tried numerous types of fiber products and they make matters worse and also cause bloating and trapped gas (yes, I drink plenty of water). As a result of my chronic constipation, I have horrific hemorrhoids. I cannot let myself get constipated or the hemorrhoid pain is unbearable. What works for me is magnesium citrate. I take it every night in capsule form. I take anywhere from 800 to 1600 mg. depending on how plugged up I am. My gastroenterologist said it was fine to take every day.

Comment from: Penny, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 27

I had severe constipation all my life. I was up to 5 orange Senekot, 6 brown Senekot, 2 bisacodyl and the next day I had to use a Dulcolax suppository and it didn't always work. I am now off of everything and take Benefibre. At the beginning you bloat and it give lots of gas. After 4 to 5 days that goes away. I take a lot of it during the day it is clear so no one knows what you are drinking. You can add it to any food you are eating or drinking. I am going normal now and I feel so much better. Try it but make sure you wait out those few days at the beginning where you bloat and have gas.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I had severe constipation for 3 weeks and all that would work was strong OTC laxatives. Then I saw a doctor and followed these instructions that worked. Start taking Metamucil 3 times a day plus 2 proactive pills. Also for only 3 days take one dose al day of Miralax. Also drink lots of water. I added 1 glass of prune juice at night along with papaya for dessert. I ate oatmeal, bran cereal, and salad with beans for lunch. And chili with beans for dinner. First 3 days were ok. After that I was cured. I am going to keep a high fiber diet and eat less breads and less dairy.

Comment from: Margaret W, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am 63, female and have had constipation my whole life until I discovered chia seeds last year. In my twenties I was diagnosed with an enlarged or "capacious colon" which in retrospect was probably a huge reason why I had constipation for a lifetime. I figure transit may have been slowed because the colon never got really full enough to cause the contractions to move food through the colon; the colon absorbed water and the feces dried out and became hard. So anyway, chia seeds have been my salvation after trying flax seeds, bran, high fiber diet, Metamucil, Colace, etc. I take 1 Tablespoon daily in oatmeal followed by a full glass of water. No more problems!

Comment from: busma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am suffering with piles, to avoid constipation I take Ispaghol husk before going to bed and it helps.

Comment from: Van, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I've never gone regularly but got along until about 6 weeks ago and now I've run through all the laxatives and have tried probiotics and am searching for something so I don't have to take laxatives all the time. The only thing that really works and doesn't build up gas is ExLax so far but I want something more natural. My colon is fine as I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago.

Constipation - Experience Question: Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating constipation, including diet and exercise.
Constipation - Diagnosis Question: Did you see a doctor for constipation? What tests and exams were included in the evaluation and diagnosis?
Constipation - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with constipation?