Patient Comments: Constipation - Home Remedies and Treatments

What kinds of treatments such as home remedies, OTC medication, or other therapies have been effective for your constipation?

Comment from: judika, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 28

When my daughter got constipated, I've used some remedies but they didn't work. My aunt told me to use formula milk and she suggested me Mamil. After I gave it to my daughter, her constipation was prevented, just for a week after used Mamil.

Comment from: Patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had surgery and was on a soft diet for about a month. I ended up very constipated. I tried prunes, lots a water and other vegetables. What worked for me was and are bananas, brown rice, Greek yogurt with live cultures, and cabbage. I don't know why but I had a good bowel movement within a day! This is my go to diet to stay regular. Take care all.

Comment from: Old Timer, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I have found through trial and error, that insoluble fiber is not good for constipation, in some cases it makes it worse. However soluble fiber does help in some cases because, it absorbs moisture and helps to make the stools softer, but it passes much more slowly through the system, as it is absorbing things. Soluble fiber is found in boiled potatoes, boiled carrots, cooked navy beans, cooked great northern beans, and many other things; look up soluble fiber, and drink plenty of water if possible.

Comment from: cher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have suffered with constipation since my early 40s. You name it, I have tried it. I have tried so many of these suggestions posted here and most of them just do not work for me. Coffee worked for a while and then stopped working. Ex-Lax worked for a while then stopped working. Miralax worked for a while then stopped working. Currently I am taking 3 female laxatives once a week when I can't stand it anymore. I have another doctor's appointment scheduled. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Terry D, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

Apples have helped my constipation. Well, I was going once a week on a good month. I had everything the doctor gave me including bad side effects. Then when on the apple diet, I had first day 7 apples 2nd day 5, and third day 3. Oh my goodness, no more tummy pains or looking like I was about to give birth. Now I just do 1 to 3 a day, and not every day. It is the only thing that has worked in 30 years; hide the laxatives and do it. Take my word, the only cure that really worked and you may go 2/3 times a day normally.

Comment from: Angvox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Constipation has been a problem for me for a long time however I finally found the product for me - Digestic by Mimonis has natural ingredients that you can actually read and understand. It worked for me and I'm sharing because I don't want anyone to have the problems that I have had.

Comment from: walo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

Glycerin suppositories are the only treatment that works well with me for constipation. Fast relief but I take it every day usually more than once a day, but I have no other choice.

Comment from: Sandyboots, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been constipated all my life. For years I"ve been using prune juice, about one cup full. I warm it up in the microwave oven and then drink it first thing in the morning. Then I also drink about 6 oz. of water. I do this every other day and have had good results. I suggest for first time users, use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Warming it is a must. You will get quick results. You"ll have to experiment with the amount of prune juice. Good luck!

Constipation - Experience Question: Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Fiber and Laxatives Question: What type of fiber or laxatives have you found helpful in treating constipation?
Constipation - Medication Causes Question: What medications or drugs cause constipation or make it worse?
Constipation - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with constipation?
Constipation - Prescription Drugs Question: What prescription drugs have helped with your chronic constipation?