Patient Comments: Constipation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?

Published: August 12

Prune juice has never failed for me. I drink an 8 oz glass and a glass of water, and it takes care of the problem. Be careful though, one time I drank 16 oz thinking I needed a lot to help along with two glasses of water, and I ended up with watery stools!

Published: June 13

My eight year old daughter has suffered constipation since she was born. It gradually got worse. I tried many things that the doctor recommended but I find the most effective to be a regular (every couple of days) dose of Benefiber and if that doesn't work a nice warm bath can sometimes get things moving. I am concerned about the effects of long term use of Benefiber (for a child).

Published: June 11

Drinking warm salt water helps, but only do this as a last resort, on the spot treatment. Too much use of it will dehydrate you. It normally takes 10 to 25 minutes to work on me but for others it could take longer.

Published: May 29

Bananas seem to really help me a lot.

Published: May 27

I have suffered from IBS for many years and through these years I have been given a lot of medicines to relieve the constipation and the pain. Tegaserod has helped me a lot, but now they have taken it out of the market, leaving me with almost none meds to help relieve the constipation and the pain that goes along with it. I have tried natural meds and other anti-spasmodic meds with little effect. I try to eat healthy foods including vegetables, fruits and foods with fiber. I cannot eat a lot of fiber because I feel like I have eaten a lot and cannot eat more, and a couple of hours later, I need to eat. So over the years I have tried to avoid foods that cause constipation or pain and I don't drink whole milk either. It's been hard, but as the doctor tells me, eat what your body tolerates and that's what I have done.

Comment from: leslee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I have suddenly become constipated after I was told to take Actonel once a month and two tablets of Caltrate with Vitamin D. The information I have read to find answers to my sudden constipation is very informative and educational. I have scheduled a colonoscopy and will hopefully move on from there with the help of my doctor.

Comment from: Misrable Marla, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I am 22 years old and I have been suffering with constipation since I was 15. I have been to a few doctors and they all tell me the same thing, to eat more fruits and veggies but that just does not work for me. The only thing that i have found recently that does work is MiraLax but you have to drink it for a few days and then wait for it to work in your system. In the mean time you are left in discomfort and sluggish feelings cramped and bloated. I am glad I found MiraLax because it does help when everything else has failed but I don't want to be drinking medicine for the rest of my life. I just do know what to do any more.

Comment from: Susie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

My constipation has been going on all of my life. If I take any kind of treatment, it takes two to three days to work, and then I get diarrhea, which is uncontrollable. Adding fiber to my diet just made me swell up like a balloon. I am not in any treatment at this time, and it is very bad. Constipation can be a severe problem.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have had constipation problems all my life. It is normal for me to go once every two weeks. My colon is too long.

Constipation - Experience Question: Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating constipation, including diet and exercise.
Constipation - Diagnosis Question: Did you see a doctor for constipation? What tests and exams were included in the evaluation and diagnosis?