Patient Comments: Constipation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?

Comment from: Bear, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I began using an enema 50 years ago. Today I use an enema nearly every day. My educator wife of 26 years begins each day with an enema. We both exercise, eat lots of bran and love large salads. Our doctors are unconcerned about our 2 quart, plain water enemas. The down side is the time required to empty the water. We rairly experience the urge to defecate naturly. The up side is the feeling that the colon is completely empty.

Comment from: zeba, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My eleven year old daughter has suffered constipation since she was born. It gradually got worse. I tried many things that the doctor recommended but I find the most effective to be a regular (every couple of days) dose of bisacodyl (dulcolax) and if that doesn't work a nice warm bath can sometimes get things moving.

Comment from: Sarah, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

Form my constipation I've tried eating more fruit and veg and drinking more fluids but have found this did not help that much until a friend recommended prune juice which does the trick! Be careful though, only have a little to begin with, the first time I tried it, I had a glass full and I ended up with watery stools!

Comment from: toxicnomore, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have suffered with severe chronic constipation since I was a child. It only got worse with age. Adding fiber, water and exercise and stress management helps, but does not do the trick. I have been to several doctors and had several tests and was told they could not help me. My fiance told me to see a Chinese medicine doctor because they helped his cousin a lot with his stomach problems, so I did. They really work for me. I boil up this concoction of twigs, bark and berries and drink a large glass full every night and have easy bowel movements the next morning, right on schedule. I am dependent on them though, and if I miss a dose, forget it, but no side affects and way better than being constipated and feeling toxic. Very affordable, but taste nasty so chase it with some juice. Also, they have capsules for less severe forms of constipation and they are easy to take traveling. Hope this helps!

Comment from: Chris M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

Some years ago I had a series of small strokes requiring a week's stay in hospital. On leaving hospital I was constipated, but assumed that things would get back to normal once I was home. Nothing was further from the truth - I was prescribed a number of different medications, none of which were particularly successful. In a local herbs shop, I asked for advice, and was offered bicarbonate of magnesium. I take a full teaspoon every evening, in a fruit juice, and for the last four years have been having regular bowel movements. Though the consistency of my stools has changed dramatically, I no longer have that awful pain and crying fits when am trying to pass a stool that refuses to be passed. I know that if I take too much magnesium, my stool is liquid, so am careful not to take too much. I have been told it is perfectly safe for me to continue taking it for the rest of my life (though I would love confirmation of this) and recommend it to other sufferers. Something so simple, with no side effects (again, would love further confirmation of this).

Comment from: Sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 43 years old and have suffered from severe constipation since I was a teenager. I am in need for what is the current treatment, other than, Amitiza. This medication does nothing to help with my chronic constipation. I have used everything new on the market and have found nothing to help. The one and only drug that every helped me was Zelnorm. Was told recently you could get it on a case by case study. Today, I found out that this study has been canceled.

Published: September 25

I have had chronic constipation for years. I took Zelnorm and it helped immensely. Now they have pulled it from market without any replacement and I am back to square one. Dietary supplements, fiber, and exercise was all implemented prior to the Zelnorm with no positive effect. I do not wish to be laxative dependent, but was hoping something safe is on horizon. I think Zelnorm should have been explained with side effects, and allow the patient to decide.

Constipation - Experience Question: Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating constipation, including diet and exercise.
Constipation - Diagnosis Question: Did you see a doctor for constipation? What tests and exams were included in the evaluation and diagnosis?
Constipation - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with constipation?