Patient Comments: Constipation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?

Published: December 08

My problems with constipation were medically related (NSAIDs, trazadone, etc.) Flax seed oil capsules work great for me. My mother, however, had a stroke. Flax seed oil helped a little, but not much. Lactulose was reasonably effective for her; however, lactulose also speeds up the need to go pee. (If you have had a stroke, rushing to the bathroom, well, takes way too long.) So the latest treatment I'm trying with her is magnesium citrate. I'm starting to do research on this. It does seem to be effective. I imagine it must be better than using laxatives long-term, but the medical info says not to use it long-term without consulting a doctor.

Comment from: Caro, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I find that eating prunes soaked in water and kept in the refrigerator works well and to me tastes better. I just eat 2-3 of the softened prunes a day (find your own tolerance level).

Comment from: marilia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered of constipation all my life and I mean constipated nothing make me go. Then recently I found out that taking one tablespoon of olive oil every morning does the trick. It seems I wasn't eating enough oil to keep the guts lubricated and believe or not I'm going every day ever since I started. I'm so happy.

Comment from: babs, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have suffered from constipation for most of my life. I really didn't eat enough fiber from vegetables & fruit in my early days. I now eat more fiber from fruits & vegetables & oatmeal and take 1 magnesium (400 mg) pill in the am and 1 in the pm. If I start to get to loose I cut down to 1 per day and everything is perfect.

Comment from: Saint, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

If you want to treat chronic constipation naturally, just count 25g of fiber in your diet and you will be cured. Great foods to consider would be blackberries, rasberries, peanuts, figs , prunes and peas. Each one of them are high is fiber so count the grams to add to 25g and drink 8 glasses of water a day. The next few days spend at least 10 mins in the toilet in the morning just sitting. This will train your body to know when it should go. All will be good. Hope I could help.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Every morning, before breakfast add half squeezed lemon juice into a cup and fill with warm water. Worked on me.

Comment from: getnbetr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I never had constipation until my thyroid was removed. And it hit me like a ton of bricks. Like dry heaves except at the other end. So painful. Now I eat oatmeal twice a day, and it really keeps things moving. No more constipation. I prefer to try a natural remedy first, so oatmeal is perfect for me.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have suffered from constipation all my life, which has gotten worse with age. I had tried everything and had all the tests and no doctor or single thing helped. For more than a year I have been on a very gluten-restrictive diet, take two fiber gummies (gluten free) in the morning, and drink a cup of kefir (probiotic) every night or at least every other night. While I still struggle with constipation, the problem has gotten so much better. It didn't get better overnight, but has gotten better gradually.

Comment from: Roxann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I went to the hospital because I had severe pain from constipation. They took X-rays and found I was impacted. So the doctor released me and gave me a prescription for this gallon of nasty stuff to drink. I took it, and here I am again feeling so bloated. I went to a new doctor and all he did was give me bowel softener, and it doesn't work either. I had a colonoscopy in June and everything was good. I don't know what to do.

Constipation - Experience Question: Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating constipation, including diet and exercise.
Constipation - Diagnosis Question: Did you see a doctor for constipation? What tests and exams were included in the evaluation and diagnosis?