Patient Comments: Constipation - Experience

Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?

Comment from: 700shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

My shingles started with a sore swollen tip of my nose. On the second day the swelling and soreness had moved to the bridge of my nose and between my eyes. The left side of my face was sore to the touch, but no pain. I was shivering by evening and my left side of the face began to swell and get hot. Both lymph nodes were swollen and hard on neck. I went to a doctor who thought it was early shingles. So I was started on antibiotics for facial infection, and anti-viral. The rash lasted about 4 days. Blistering was done on face and I felt pretty good. Then the neck and head pain started. I was confused. Usually shingles begins with pain and finishes with rash, but mine was different. The pain was on the back of my neck and up to the center of back of skull. It is now day 8 and I was put on new drug called Horizon for post-shingle pain. It helps but makes me drowsy. Now the hard part begins; waiting for the pain to quit which may take days, weeks, or months. By the way, I had Bell's palsy on the same side of my face about 5 years ago. I believe there may be a connection.

Comment from: david, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have ringing in my left ear, and from time to time get very sick and dizzy. I had a brain scan thinking I might have a brain tumor, but turned out to be Meniere's disease. I think gambling losses set it off as I always suffer when I am broke, never when I am winning. The brain is a strange thing, maybe depression sets it off. I decided to give up gambling to see if that works. Good luck to all suffers, it is awful when you feel sick and dizzy.

Comment from: craftychris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

YES! As a child it caused me to miss school multiple times a month and I was in pain most of the time, so I couldn't do the activities I enjoyed, sometimes I even pooped my pants! As an adult it has caused much pain, I receive SSI because of my chronic constipation and some other problems and I can't really do anything for myself, my husband does all the cooking and cleaning because I'm usually always in horrible pain. Constipation has taken the joy out of my life.

Comment from: Cjeb4, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My son is 7 years old nonverbal and has autism. He has been severely constipated since he had intussusception at 4 months of age. The doctors won't help him so I have been taking him in to a naturopath for colonics. I don't know what else to do. This is the only time he excretes and he goes once a week. If we have to wait an extra week because the doctor goes on vacation he is in serious pain with migraines. It is terrible because he can't tell us anything and he just cries loudly holding his head and stomach. We have tried everything over the counter for this and nothing helps. I am afraid something terrible is going to happen if we don't get help soon. The pain is so bad that he bites himself and gets seriously angry and has anxiety. I started some essiac tea today.

Comment from: BJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had dull pain in lower right abdomen for over 7 days. Movement makes pain worse, I have some tenderness over area, and pain is constant.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

The best treatment I have found and it works every time. I was sure I had cancer or something even worse because I thought I tried everything for my constant constipation - stool softeners, bran on my ceral, raisen bran at night, even 5 large glasses of water per day, or beans didn't work. But, I found it: after getting up in morning, drink one large glass of water, followed by about one cup to one and a half cups of prune juice which is followed by another large glass of water.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I experienced constipation every morning. My mother who is a nutritionist suggested eating green bananas in addition to an egg for breakfast. This change my diet has cured my constipation problem.

Constipation - Home Remedies and Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments such as home remedies, OTC medication, or other therapies have been effective for your constipation?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Fiber and Laxatives Question: What type of fiber or laxatives have you found helpful in treating constipation?
Constipation - Medication Causes Question: What medications or drugs cause constipation or make it worse?
Constipation - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with constipation?
Constipation - Prescription Drugs Question: What prescription drugs have helped with your chronic constipation?