Patient Comments: Constipation - Experience

Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?

Comment from: mamam0689, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 10

It has for my young child. My child is on the 5th or 6th doctor (GI doctor) that still cannot find the problem! Currently child has a colostomy tube and doctors want to put in a colostomy bag. I am on here to see if anyone can help me down a road where my child won't have to go through this and what we may possibly be missing!

Comment from: stefanym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have recently started experiencing chronic constipation. I have severe migraines and have been taking different types of medicines to prevent them. I take stool softeners which take several days to work. I can't take laxatives because they cause so much abdominal pain. I also have been bleeding a little from my rectum.

Comment from: soroeman2, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

Pain meds cause me constipation. Raisin bran about 3 to 4 hours before bedtime works for me every time. It causes the stool to hold the moisture and soften the stool during the night. The next morning no problems using the bathroom.

Comment from: Meh, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I'm a sixteen year old girl still in high school and I have suffered from constipation for two years now and I really hate it. My doctor's don't know anything. I have done almost everything besides sticking a pill up my butt and surgery.

Comment from: Big Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Constipation consumes my life. I go days without going to the bathroom. Then I have what I call on Attack, stomach pain, face and ears get red. My hands burn and feel like they were sliced with a knife. The doctors look at me like I am crazy and have not got any help. This has been going on for years.

Constipation - Home Remedies and Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments such as home remedies, OTC medication, or other therapies have been effective for your constipation?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Fiber and Laxatives Question: What type of fiber or laxatives have you found helpful in treating constipation?
Constipation - Medication Causes Question: What medications or drugs cause constipation or make it worse?
Constipation - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with constipation?
Constipation - Prescription Drugs Question: What prescription drugs have helped with your chronic constipation?