Patient Comments: Constipation - Causes

If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?

Comment from: colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been constipated most of my life. I had a total hysterectomy in February this year. My bowels got worse. I am on Bisacodyl and it works but I don`t want to be on a pill to do something as natural as having a bowel movement! I leave carbs alone because I lost 30 lb. and don`t want to gain it back so fruits, other than berries are out. Fiber is full of carbs, too. I drink plenty of water. I was told by my doctor that the leading reason for constipation is not taking the time out to go! Bowel movements are voluntary so sit relax, it is worth it! I am looking for a natural laxative. I will try what has been suggested on this site and let you all know when I have succeeded!

Comment from: b, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

My constipation is caused by narcotics. I've been a pain patient for nearly 15 years, and I've gotten to the point that I don't know what else to try. The last were the Relistor injections. All it did was 'not' help me go and did make me so sick I had to go to the emergency room and stop the shots. Lately, even magnesium citrate hasn't caused a bowel movement and it always used to work. I'm left at grasping for straws. There have to be millions of people like me, pain patients for one reason or another who cannot find any relief.

Comment from: Doug, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

When growing up I got constipated many times. As soon as I mentioned I had a tummy ache, my mom instantly knew that I was constipated and the quickest remedy was an enema over my mom's lap. Many times a year, and especially when I had a cold, and stayed in bed for a few days. My mom would take me into the bathroom and give me a good enema time after time. Around 12 or 13, she taught me how to give myself an enema. This is the only remedy that has worked for me over the years, a good enema works quickly, and is so much better than taking a laxative, which can take much longer and you don't know when it will kick in. My two daughters have also had constipation problems growing up. My wife and I gave them enemas, from age 3 through their teens.

Comment from: VJ, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

Thanks for letting me share my experience with constipation. I used to go once in two weeks when I was a teenager until I got married. I was too shy or maybe embarrassed to ask for help or advice. Then I started taking laxatives as I could not tolerate it when the bowel smell came through my mouth. I went to see a doctor and she advised me not to take laxatives as it will make my system lazy and will not do its function. I went for medical checkup by screening my colon and they found no problem. I did my own research. I stopped eating late at night, eating more fruits for breakfast and dinner, and I started drinking about a jug of green tea each day. It solved my problem, but the only disadvantage is that I have to go to the washroom to urinate since I drink so much. I hope this may help some out there.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have recently started exercising 4 hrs. a week. I used to eat a granola bar every day and now replaced it with Greek yogurt. I think by not eating the granola bar and eating the yogurts is why I have went from daily soft stools to every three days difficult to pass hard stool.

Constipation - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?
Constipation - Experience Question: Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?
Constipation - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating constipation, including diet and exercise.
Constipation - Diagnosis Question: Did you see a doctor for constipation? What tests and exams were included in the evaluation and diagnosis?
Constipation - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with constipation?