Patient Comments: Constipation - Experience

Question:Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?

Comment from: craftychris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

YES! As a child it caused me to miss school multiple times a month and I was in pain most of the time, so I couldn't do the activities I enjoyed, sometimes I even pooped my pants! As an adult it has caused much pain, I receive SSI because of my chronic constipation and some other problems and I can't really do anything for myself, my husband does all the cooking and cleaning because I'm usually always in horrible pain. Constipation has taken the joy out of my life.

Comment from: Granny S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Both my husband and I take pain meds which cause constipation for us. At times it seems we are in better balance than others. When we need help we eat dehydrated prunes. The same as the folks who drink the juice I guess. Each of us eat a different amount of prunes as needed. I can sometimes eat 5 and that is plenty other days I need more. I will often take 1,000 mg of vitamin C and that will work the same as the prunes. If I increase the C when I am constipated it helps keep me regular. My husband needs more Vitamin C that that. So your choice. Some days I find the sweetness of the prunes is too much for me so I prefer the Vitamin C. Bowel problems are very serious and we all need to take good care of our bowels. Children should learn at an early age the importance of drinking lots of water and care of the bowels. We teach them about care of their teeth. There is a large area between teeth and feet that needs care and is very important. I wish everyone good health.

Comment from: Cjeb4, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My son is 7 years old nonverbal and has autism. He has been severely constipated since he had intussusception at 4 months of age. The doctors won't help him so I have been taking him in to a naturopath for colonics. I don't know what else to do. This is the only time he excretes and he goes once a week. If we have to wait an extra week because the doctor goes on vacation he is in serious pain with migraines. It is terrible because he can't tell us anything and he just cries loudly holding his head and stomach. We have tried everything over the counter for this and nothing helps. I am afraid something terrible is going to happen if we don't get help soon. The pain is so bad that he bites himself and gets seriously angry and has anxiety. I started some essiac tea today.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

The best treatment I have found and it works every time. I was sure I had cancer or something even worse because I thought I tried everything for my constant constipation - stool softeners, bran on my ceral, raisen bran at night, even 5 large glasses of water per day, or beans didn't work. But, I found it: after getting up in morning, drink one large glass of water, followed by about one cup to one and a half cups of prune juice which is followed by another large glass of water.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I experienced constipation every morning. My mother who is a nutritionist suggested eating green bananas in addition to an egg for breakfast. This change my diet has cured my constipation problem.

Comment from: Rosey Posey, Female (Caregiver) Published: September 24

I have a client who has MS and lung cancer. He is having so much trouble evacuating his bowels and his doctor is no help at all. He is currently taking Senokot, a stool softener, twice a day. He regularly eats a serving of sauerkraut and for several days takes a serving of 15 dried prunes in order to evacuate once a week. He experiences a lot of pain between day 3 and 7.

Comment from: monsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have had constipation since birth. Doctors have never taken any interest on the problem. I lived in various countries. Now, I live in Australia. The only thing that helps without side effects is the enema with water. Fiber softens the stools but I do not get 'the call of nature' anyway, and they give me too much gas.

Comment from: mamam0689, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 10

It has for my young child. My child is on the 5th or 6th doctor (GI doctor) that still cannot find the problem! Currently child has a colostomy tube and doctors want to put in a colostomy bag. I am on here to see if anyone can help me down a road where my child won't have to go through this and what we may possibly be missing!

Constipation - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating constipation, including diet and exercise.
Constipation - Diagnosis Question: Did you see a doctor for constipation? What tests and exams were included in the evaluation and diagnosis?