Patient Comments: Constipation - Experience

Question:Has your constipation ever limited you from performing daily activities? Work? Pleasure?

Comment from: stefanym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have recently started experiencing chronic constipation. I have severe migraines and have been taking different types of medicines to prevent them. I take stool softeners which take several days to work. I can't take laxatives because they cause so much abdominal pain. I also have been bleeding a little from my rectum.

Comment from: soroeman2, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

Pain meds cause me constipation. Raisin bran about 3 to 4 hours before bedtime works for me every time. It causes the stool to hold the moisture and soften the stool during the night. The next morning no problems using the bathroom.

Comment from: Meh, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I'm a sixteen year old girl still in high school and I have suffered from constipation for two years now and I really hate it. My doctor's don't know anything. I have done almost everything besides sticking a pill up my butt and surgery.

Comment from: Big Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Constipation consumes my life. I go days without going to the bathroom. Then I have what I call on Attack, stomach pain, face and ears get red. My hands burn and feel like they were sliced with a knife. The doctors look at me like I am crazy and have not got any help. This has been going on for years.

Constipation - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?
Constipation - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?
Constipation - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating constipation, including diet and exercise.
Constipation - Diagnosis Question: Did you see a doctor for constipation? What tests and exams were included in the evaluation and diagnosis?
Constipation - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with constipation?