Patient Comments: Connective Tissue Disease - Diagnosis

How was your connective tissue disease diagnosed?

Comment from: prostate paranoid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

My connective tissue disorder was diagnosed by my pharmacist after looking up side effects of the drug FLOMAX.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have been diagnosed with connective tissue disease. Initially took high levels of Prednisone then tapered down to 5mg daily for the past year. This is working for me. I still ache most every day, but not to the degree I used to. I stretch and go to a gym 2 to 3 times a week. Prednisone has numerous side effects, but I'd rather put up with them than the debilitating pain I used to be in. In other words, Prednisone gave me back my active lifestyle and I'm now 68.

Comment from: Achy_Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I was first diagnosed with Marfans by a cardiologist but was later diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) by my rheumatologist. But after going to Mayo Clinic for treatment, they diagnosed me with Mixed Connective Tissue disease (MCTD) because they said I had bits of many different auto immune disorders. I tend to still say that I have EDS instead of MCTD though because I find docs can handle EDS better than MCTD. They still get nervous when treating me but not as bad when I said I had MCTD.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

My connective tissue disease was discovered through an aortic dissection. Open heart surgery was performed and a sleeve was placed over the aorta to repair.

Comment from: mary L., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My connective tissue disease was diagnosed through a blood test. This was done before having a parcial knee replacement.

Connective Tissue Disease - Treatments Question: What was your connective tissue disease treatment?
Connective Tissue Disease - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with connective tissue disease.
Connective Tissue Disease - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs or symptoms associated with a connective tissue disease in you or a relative?