Patient Comments: Connective Tissue Disease - Treatments

Question:What was your connective tissue disease treatment?

Comment from: Clint, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have lived with arrhythmia (ventricular ectopic beats) and sinus bradycardia nearly all my life. I also have exercised keenly and continuously. I now realize (having been desensitized by the experience of life-long arrhythmia) I have been experiencing atrial flutter for many years, often merely triggered by innocuous things like the alarm clock in the morning, sudden unexpected exertion or changes in position, postprandial, and most lately, after strong exercise. Episodes may last 12 plus hours and heart rate at 130 plus and irregular. I take, nor have I ever taken any medication. In fact, I am reluctant to do so. I have recently acceded to an appointment with a cardiologist to determine the basis of the underlying putative conduction problem, chiefly because I am unable to exercise strongly if in atrial flutter and because of the sustained irregular tachycardia post-exercise. I continue to embrace life as fully and vigorously as I have always done.

Comment from: devildog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I fell Christmas Eve, heard a snap in my upper arm, didn't want to go to hospital, and kept putting off going to general physician (GP). Weeks later the pain made me go to the GP, had x-ray, and was told I had fracture. I went to a fracture clinic and was told it had most probably healed but I have got rotator cuff injury and have to have physiotherapy. Wish I had gone straight away.

Comment from: Arkansas Girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I currently have dermatomyositis and psoriatic arthritis. I take Imuran and methotrexate. I have great difficulty with the high dose of methotrexate I am on. It causes nausea, migraine and a general 'yuck' feeling, like having the flu. My newest rheumatologist suggested that since my dose is high, we treat me like they do the cancer patients that have to take methotrexate in high doses and give me the rescue drug, leucovorin. I tried it and it works amazingly well. There are no nasty side effects.

Comment from: Ruthy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was recently diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease and I am miserable. I am/was a constant on the go girl and part time fitness trainer, I slowly lessened my workouts per week and the amount of exercise I did. For the past year I barely did anything because when I did just a little bit of a workout I was dying of pain for days. I have in the past 6 weeks tried working out with my friends 2 to 3 times per week but I hurt so much and I'm only doing a quarter of what I have them doing and I hurt everywhere. My doctor said she wants to start me on prednisone and Plaquenil. But I'm afraid of prednisone because I blow up like a balloon, I haven't started anything yet and I'm just depressed over this whole thing.

Comment from: Ccjinc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome and fibromyalgia and arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, and tennis elbow. I also have adhesive arachnoiditis after 5 back surgeries. Finally my rheumatologist told me today that I have connective tissue disease. He is starting me on Plaquenil. I hope it works!

Comment from: living again, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

With undifferentiated connective tissue disease, I had excruciating pain for more than a year. Joint and muscle pain, lung pain, numbness in fingers and toes, almost lost a finger, fluid in the lungs - I can't even remember all of the symptoms. It took a long time to be diagnosed correctly, but I have finally found relief from a mix of drugs - Cellcept, prednizone, and plaquenil as well as gabapentin for nerve pain and helps me sleep. I cannot urge readers enough to push to find the right mix of drugs to get your symptoms under control and relieve the pain. It's been 2.5 years, but I'm starting to feel like a normal person again. And also the message to relax, accept the illness, learn to enjoy what you can, give thanks, and look for the good in yourself and others is great coping advice. Please! don't suffer out there! Oh, I have more! Garlic and exercise can both stimulate your immune system, so be very careful about both. I now go to the gym, but I don't push it and work on improving very slowly.

Connective Tissue Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your connective tissue disease diagnosed?
Connective Tissue Disease - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with connective tissue disease.
Connective Tissue Disease - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs or symptoms associated with a connective tissue disease in you or a relative?