Patient Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis

What's your prognosis with congestive heart failure?

Comment from: Neen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was released from the hospital this past Tuesday after almost a week of being in the hospital with the diagnosis of CHF. I had shortness of breath for a long time, swelling in feet which I attributed to just gaining water weight as a woman thing and other symptoms that mimicked panic attacks. They did EKG's among other tests and while in hospital, had a heart catheter done too. The results revealed no blockage. Thank goodness but my heart is weakened as a result. I fortunately left the hospital getting my breath back and no longer suffer from shortness of breath. I have to follow up with a cardiac doc and maintain a strict 2000 mg sodium diet as well as taking blood pressure med and vitamins. I also have to weigh myself everyday too. I will now do whatever it takes to get my health back. I never want to fight to just walk a few feet without feeling dizzy or out of breath ever again.

Comment from: Cherry, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

With congestive heart failure I had sudden swelling of the legs and collapsed. I responded to treatment after several weeks of being severely ill. Now I'm on warfarin, Lasix, magnesium and oxygen at home and coping well. I am maintaining constant weight and waist measurement; am on fluid restriction and doing well with studies.

Comment from: Tiffany, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had been experiencing a lot of shortness of breath and all my doctor would say is that I was overweight so I just ignored the problem for a very long time. The problem worsened so I finally switched doctors and he had me admitted into the hospital and a right heart catheterization was performed, this showed that I had what is called diastolic heart failure, which is a form of congestive heart failure (CHF). My condition worsened and now I am in CHF, I have a lot of swelling in my legs, and I am extremely short of breath and weak. I am on 14 pills a day for this condition and it basically helps me get through the day. I still work a full-time job which is unphysical; I sit at a desk all day because I wouldn't have the energy to do anything physical.

Comment from: In disbelief, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 03

Reading everyone's stories has been helpful. My mother was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure. The doctor said she is running on 1.5 out of 6 cylinders. Mum is only 66, fit and healthy, with no typical risk factors—so this was a huge shock. She has no artery blockages and is on medication. Now, we have to wait four weeks to see the cardiologist again, because he is unsure what is causing it. I am hoping these medications work well, as I am scared of her deteriorating. I was considering getting a second opinion, as the cardiologist has the bedside manner of a card table and doesn't give us much information. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment from: ConnieR, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 11

9.5 years ago my husband-to-be left a cardiologist having been told to be followed by his family doctor "no further cardiology appointments needed"- her handwritten note. At that point he had a 14% EF. I met him shortly after that and we fell madly in love. I was a contract sleep tech and he followed me from the Carolinas to New Mexico, then to Anchorage and finally to Texas. At Baylor-Dallas we met Doctors who decided they had the knowledge and skill to operate and stabilize him. A CABG x5. Now his EF is 23% - he keeps an ugly echo with left wall akinesis and right side hypertrophy - and EKG that still will throw the occasional multifocal triplet and a defibrillator that will shock him about twice a year. But he keeps on trucking. I think our "secret" has been a very strict diabetic diet and watching fluids along with daily exercise and CPAP at night.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 11

My mother (88 years) was just diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Perfectly healthy otherwise. Not on any medications. She had little shortness of breath and said her chest felt a little heavy. She was admitted to the hospital. She had high blood pressure and was put on bp medication.

Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Causes Question: What are the underlying causes of your congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Lifestyle Changes Question: Have you made any lifestyle modifications including diet or exercise?