Patient Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Treatment

What treatment did you have for congestive heart failure?

A Doctor's View on Congestive Heart Failure Treatment

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Congestive heart failure treatment may involve medications like ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, and water pills (diuretics). Lifestyle changes are also helpful. In some cases, surgery including heart transplantation or the placement of a mechanical assist device, biventricular pacemaker, or a cardioverter-defibrillator may be necessary. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I was so worried when I heard that my EF (ejection fraction) was 25. Doctor prescribed Coreg. I could not take high dosage because of low blood pressure. Then I had surgery and they put in my chest defibrillator. Six months after using low dosage below ten mg my EF was 28. After that device they increased my dosage to 25. After six months, my EF was 31. Finally after a year it became 43. Try to walk, but be careful of your heart rate does not increase a lot. Of course no salt. My symptoms of congestive heart failure were shortness of breath, and lots of water in my legs, face and feet.

Comment from: SVEN, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am 81. Nine years ago I had open heart surgery quadruple bypass and pacemaker installed. Now I have stage 4 CHF but only experiencing shortness of breath. Along with a variety of medications I take 160 mg of Lasix daily plus a 3.5 mg of diuretic metolazone a week. The doctor says the heart muscle stiffening but I could live another 1 to 2 years.

Comment from: ameer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a 70 years old male and I was having breathing problem when I was lying down in the bed and waking up in the middle of night, and was having shortness of breath. I went to see my doctor and I was told that I have CAD (coronary artery disease) as both my legs and abdomen were swollen. I was put on water pills and my doctor sent me for chest x-ray. I found that I am retaining water in the lungs as my heart is not pumping to its capacity. Now I am waiting for the cardiologist to for stress tests.

Comment from: nadia barthol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have congestive heart failure. I've been off synthetic drugs for 12 weeks since April 2, 2014, when I ended in hospital because of swelling badly. I was on carvedilol and from then on I decided to stop taking all of that. My abdomen is swollen and I constantly retain water. I've been taking natural herbs, they seem to work but the damage was done for 2 years of synthetic drugs. I gave this a chance but I'm worn out and I will go to the clinic this week so the extra fluid is taken out. I don't like the previous cardiologist, he really only pushes pills and surgery.

Comment from: tmutty, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 30

A very valued friend age 101 suffered a heart attack following bout of pneumonia. The heart valve is apparently miniscule. Aside from diet restricting volume of liquids and absence of sodium and cautious exercise, are there any other suggestions that will hopefully enable this friend to celebrate his 102nd birthday on February 20, 2012. Incidentally, his mind continues to be very sharp.

Comment from: digoxin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

For congestive heart failure I have digoxin and other medicines.

Comment from: mikey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

i was diagnosed with CHF and afib at age 56. at age 57, i rec'd an ICD/pacemaker as my EF was averaging 30-35%. My 1st ICD lasted 4 years exactly as the pacemaker was running about 47% of the time with a threshold of 60bpm. The new unit was installed, set to single lead and threshold lowered to 50bpm - which caused a little dizziness the first few weeks but doctors think my new unit should last 6 years or so. In the meantime, at age 60, while I have good and bad days, my EF has improved to 35-40% on the last 2 tests. They think its due to positive response to the meds- nothing exotic just the usual beta blockers (big doses in my case), digoxin, fenofibrate, a diuretic, and warfarin. I can walk 9 holes of golf at SOME courses - not all but slowly I feel I'm getting a little control back

Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis Question: What's your prognosis with congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Causes Question: What are the underlying causes of your congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Lifestyle Changes Question: Have you made any lifestyle modifications including diet or exercise?