Patient Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with congestive heart failure?

A Doctor's View on Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms

Read the Comment by Daniel Lee Kulick, MD, FACC, FSCAI

The most common symptoms of congestive heart failure symptoms are shortness of breath and fatigue. Other symptoms of congestive heart failure include weakness; frequent urination; edema (swelling) of the legs, ankles, feet, and abdomen; nausea, vomiting, and irregular heartbeat. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Luis Alberto, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My ankles are swelling for the first time with congestive heart failure, I have no fatigue, dyspnea or shortness of breath.

Comment from: Scotchlass, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

With congestive heart failure I have tightness in the lower chest - as if I was wearing a corset and someone was pulling it tighter. I also have the urge to want to go to the bathroom.

Comment from: candledy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I didn't have any pain. For over 3 months, my breathing got steadily worse. I kept blaming it on bronchitis that I seem to get every year. It got to the point, I could not get my breath and so dizzy. I had refused to go to the hospital, and that day I was forced to go to hospital. I was on the very edge of heart failure. I'm doing much better now.

Comment from: Forever3k, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I'm 19 years old and was diagnosed with CHF when I was 17 – a couple months before my 18th birthday. I became really sick, with lots of vomiting. I'd stopped being active, gained lots weight, and started swelling. I had fluid in my lungs and went to the ER, where I was then admitted me to a large children's hospital. Since then, I've been on all kinds of medications – fluid pills, baby aspirin, and blood pressure pills. I feel that none of them do anything. The fluid pills just make me pee a lot. I still have swollen feet and experience shortness of breath, but not all of the time. I used to work in a refinery and would climb 75 steps in four flights of stairs, and would have to stop and catch my breath. But I still got to the top. Other than that, nothing else has happened. I don't see my doc for another three months. The only thing that really bothers me is that my feet blow up like balloons, which makes me not want to go anywhere because it's really noticeable.

Comment from: Zoche, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Recently, I was hospitalized for a week. When I entered, my blood pressure was very low and I was anemic. I have been suffering from swollen legs and ankles. My blood pressure goes up and down even though I'm on three blood pressure medications. I have lupus, but it has never affected my heart. I am experiencing extreme fatigue and when I do normal activities I sweat profusely. I have had several bouts with pneumonia and asthma. I had two heart catheters, which showed no blockage. Upon discharge, the hospital gave me information about congestive heart failure. The doctors never even discussed this with me. What should I do?

Comment from: Lake, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my upper eyelid surgery 3 days ago. The more I looked at myself in the mirror, the more I regret going through with it. I can only open my eyes 1/3 to half of the way due to swollen upper lid. My eyes don't shut when I sleep (my daughter told me). My eyes are not even, one eye is more open than the other. The skin has been pulled too much on one eye that it hurts right after the surgery. My eye shape is no longer the same. The surgical line is long-- it goes way past the eyes and stops at both sides. The doctor told me that he had to do it otherwise the lid will droop. I was so shocked to see the line. I used to have big open eyes and was proud of it. Blurred vision is what I have encountered in the last 3 days. All I can do is wait and see how it turns out after a month. I truly hope that I don't have to go to another doctor to get them fixed to look normal again.

Comment from: milojune, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and started having episodes of extreme dizziness and felt as though I was passing out. I went to the emergency room and after close observation my heart was pausing. They put in a pacemaker; but since then my legs and ankles swell terribly; I suffer from serious fatigue. The support stockings help some, but not a lot... I still swell badly.

Congestive Heart Failure - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis Question: What's your prognosis with congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Causes Question: What are the underlying causes of your congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Lifestyle Changes Question: Have you made any lifestyle modifications including diet or exercise?