Patient Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with congestive heart failure?

A Doctor's View on Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms

Read the Comment by Daniel Lee Kulick, MD, FACC, FSCAI

The most common symptoms of congestive heart failure symptoms are shortness of breath and fatigue. Other symptoms of congestive heart failure include weakness; frequent urination; edema (swelling) of the legs, ankles, feet, and abdomen; nausea, vomiting, and irregular heartbeat. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: ray, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband had a heart attack 9 years ago. He has a pacemaker defibrillator. Now he has congestive heart failure and is in a nursing facility. His memory is impaired and he can be abusive.

Comment from: mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 54. My symptom when I had congestive heart failure was feet swelling and I started to get chest pains. Suddenly I got weak and dizzy and had shortness of breath. My blood pressure was 200/100, respiration was 28 with oxygen saturation of 88 percent. I was extremely short of breath. My heart rate was 140 and I had a temperature of 97.6 degrees. My blood glucose was 90 which scared me because I am a heart surgeon.

Comment from: Barbara C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My symptoms of congestive heart failure were swelling in my legs, cellulitis, and then shortness of breath and chest pain. I had been taking massive doses of pain killers for back pain for four years and I think that is what brought it on. My blood pressure was low, then suddenly very high. I was no longer as active as I used to be; I used to be very fit. Now I need to have a lot more sleep. Also I have no appetite, but I have gained a massive amount of weight and although I have tried very hard to lose it, I just keep gaining.

Comment from: Okie2015, (Patient) Published: April 24

I get very tired at times, have seizures where I pass out, and bad color in face. I also swell up in legs, abdomen, and chest. Congestive heart failure is a very hard disease to live with.

Comment from: G Bdoyle, 75 or over (Patient) Published: December 08

I have congestive heart failure (CHF), and all the symptoms of the disease. But I have developed a severe cough, day and night, especially at night. I wonder if this is another symptom of CHF. Also my heart beats only 20 percent. I just developed the cough after my last doctor visit this week.

Comment from: roxey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had right side heart failure. I find difficult waking as I am out of breath; my everyday life is hard.

Comment from: jkid, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I constantly had to go to the toilet, couldn't while I sat on the toilet, and then went when I stood. I kept having bronchopneumonia for over a year, was breathing somewhat between coughs, but not seeming to catch any oxygen with the gasps I was able to make. I had dizzy spells. This was caused by rheumatism, which hasn't affected other body parts yet, so doctors found this to be new and different especially due to my young age (as far as heart surgery and congestive heart failure patients go anyway).

Comment from: Cj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

With congestive heart failure, I have shortness of breath, tiredness, and up to 4+ edema even with daily diuretics.

Congestive Heart Failure - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis Question: What's your prognosis with congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Causes Question: What are the underlying causes of your congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Lifestyle Changes Question: Have you made any lifestyle modifications including diet or exercise?