Patient Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with congestive heart failure?

A Doctor's View on Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms

Read the Comment by Daniel Lee Kulick, MD, FACC, FSCAI

The most common symptoms of congestive heart failure symptoms are shortness of breath and fatigue. Other symptoms of congestive heart failure include weakness; frequent urination; edema (swelling) of the legs, ankles, feet, and abdomen; nausea, vomiting, and irregular heartbeat. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Okie2015, (Patient) Published: April 24

I get very tired at times, have seizures where I pass out, and bad color in face. I also swell up in legs, abdomen, and chest. Congestive heart failure is a very hard disease to live with.

Comment from: roxey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had right side heart failure. I find difficult waking as I am out of breath; my everyday life is hard.

Comment from: jkid, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I constantly had to go to the toilet, couldn't while I sat on the toilet, and then went when I stood. I kept having bronchopneumonia for over a year, was breathing somewhat between coughs, but not seeming to catch any oxygen with the gasps I was able to make. I had dizzy spells. This was caused by rheumatism, which hasn't affected other body parts yet, so doctors found this to be new and different especially due to my young age (as far as heart surgery and congestive heart failure patients go anyway).

Comment from: Cj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

With congestive heart failure, I have shortness of breath, tiredness, and up to 4+ edema even with daily diuretics.

Comment from: Luis Alberto, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My ankles are swelling for the first time with congestive heart failure, I have no fatigue, dyspnea or shortness of breath.

Comment from: Scotchlass, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

With congestive heart failure I have tightness in the lower chest - as if I was wearing a corset and someone was pulling it tighter. I also have the urge to want to go to the bathroom.

Comment from: candledy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I didn't have any pain. For over 3 months, my breathing got steadily worse. I kept blaming it on bronchitis that I seem to get every year. It got to the point, I could not get my breath and so dizzy. I had refused to go to the hospital, and that day I was forced to go to hospital. I was on the very edge of heart failure. I'm doing much better now.

Comment from: Forever3k, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I'm 19 years old and was diagnosed with CHF when I was 17 – a couple months before my 18th birthday. I became really sick, with lots of vomiting. I'd stopped being active, gained lots weight, and started swelling. I had fluid in my lungs and went to the ER, where I was then admitted me to a large children's hospital. Since then, I've been on all kinds of medications – fluid pills, baby aspirin, and blood pressure pills. I feel that none of them do anything. The fluid pills just make me pee a lot. I still have swollen feet and experience shortness of breath, but not all of the time. I used to work in a refinery and would climb 75 steps in four flights of stairs, and would have to stop and catch my breath. But I still got to the top. Other than that, nothing else has happened. I don't see my doc for another three months. The only thing that really bothers me is that my feet blow up like balloons, which makes me not want to go anywhere because it's really noticeable.

Congestive Heart Failure - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis Question: What's your prognosis with congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Causes Question: What are the underlying causes of your congestive heart failure?
Congestive Heart Failure - Lifestyle Changes Question: Have you made any lifestyle modifications including diet or exercise?