Patient Comments: Compartment Syndrome - Complications

Did you have complications related to compartment syndrome? Please discuss your experience.

Comment from: Naomi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My compartment syndrome was an acute event related to an eight inch blood clot in my right upper arm from 24 years of hormone therapy. My arm lost circulation immediately and I had horrible pain. It took five hours for the medical professionals to start a treatment to dissolve the blood clot and re-establish circulation which caused the need for a fasciectomy and nerve damage. Wind on my arm makes me want to vomit. Even after physiotherapy the muscle strength is very poor. Picking up a cup of coffee is a strain. The tingling and burning has finally subsided. I cover my arm with a runner's sleeve. It helps the nerve pain tremendously.

Comment from: milogram, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I got a staph infection in the hospital following fasciotomy surgery. I can no longer make a fist, raise my wrist/hand, bend my fingers – I have contracture. My thumb pulls inward, my hand is permanently disabled, and I almost needed amputation.

Compartment Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with compartment syndrome?
Compartment Syndrome - Surgery Question: Please share your compartment syndrome surgery and recovery time.
Compartment Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of compartment syndrome.
Compartment Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was your treatment or therapy for compartment syndrome? Did you require surgery?