Patient Comments: Compartment Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with compartment syndrome?

Comment from: kiwi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I tripped and tore a leg muscle and had foot drop. I had an ultrasound. No worries. I used the old RICE treatment. Everything was okay for a couple of days but then the pain got increasingly worse. Foot became white and tense. I went straight into hospital for emergency operation. The muscle had died and was removed. I had three operations over the next week. I was hospitalized for 30 days. I lay on my back for most of it before skin grafts. Now 3 years later my foot has permanently dropped and is useless, with little movement and has turned outwards. I use orthotic shoes, dictus splint and walking stick and happy to be alive. My deepest gratitude to the doctors who recognized my acute compartment syndrome.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

With my compartment syndrome I had extreme leg swelling, excruciating pain, and inability to put weight on the leg.

Compartment Syndrome - Surgery Question: Please share your compartment syndrome surgery and recovery time.
Compartment Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of compartment syndrome.
Compartment Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was your treatment or therapy for compartment syndrome? Did you require surgery?
Compartment Syndrome - Complications Question: Did you have complications related to compartment syndrome? Please discuss your experience.