Patient Comments: Common Cold - What You Do To Avoid

Question:What do you do to avoid catching a cold?

Comment from: Robb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I wash hands a lot. I frequently change hand towels; use more disposable paper cups and paper towels. Since the DEA became heavy handed with manufacturers over pseudoephedrine and bullied some of them into removing it from products (even liquids) a lot of the products have little effect. The ones with slow release are best for cold symptoms. Tylenol used to make a liquid, as well as Contac used to have tablets that worked well.

Comment from: stella0603, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

At the first sign of a cold (the slight sore throat), I take a large dose of vitamin C, echinacea and zinc. I continue to take them at least twice a day until the sore throat goes away. If the sore throat reoccurs, I do the same regimen. This has worked very well.

Comment from: Sandy65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Working in a preschool doesn't help when it comes to catching a cold, however, at the first signs of a cold, I take echinacea and vitamin C and it seems to keep the symptoms at bay. The cold is then less severe and takes a few less days to go away. I used to take zinc, but this seems to work better and more consistently. I've noticed, too, that if I take vitamin C only when I have cold symptoms, and not daily, it seems to work better.

Comment from: Avenger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

While suffering from a cold, I have managed to stay at work in fairly close proximity to colleagues and not pass it on. I simply covered my mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, disposed of the tissue immediately, and used a hand sanitizer each time. There is a certain satisfaction in making sure the virus dies in you and not allowing it to reproduce. Call it revenge for my suffering!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I try to wash my hands often and well. I also try to keep my hands away from my face and, thus, my mouth, eyes and nose. However, as I am just not getting over a miserable cold, I obviously failed to do one of the above!

Comment from: bugsy950, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 04

Being outdoors as much as possible during the winter months help me never get a cold. I think breathing in lots of good fresh air is the answer to avoiding colds.

Comment from: Red face, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 27

My husband had a bad cold about a month ago and although I felt some slight symptoms within a week but took care to increase my vitamin C intake, wash my hands frequently, sleep in another bedroom and take an immune boosting preparation I received from my chiropractor and nothing troublesome developed until now. I thought my immune system had fought it off but with all the Christmas hype and rushing around my immune system has lowered sufficiently for the cold to develop the usual runny nose a streaming eyes which I get with a cold. He is insisting I have got a cold from someone else and did not catch his cold or would have had the symptoms I have now weeks ago.

Comment from: CowsAreFrriends, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

Take Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. That helps me!

Comment from: peter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I have taken Sambucol (elderberry extract) as a cold preventive for the past ten years. I have never caught cold. It was very easy to catch cold before I started taking Sambucol. It took 7-14 days to cure my cold. Sambucol makes my body produce immune system mediators- cytokines-to block cold virus to enter into cells. If virus could not enter into cells, virus will die in few hours.

Comment from: Bob 35, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I avoid colds by cleaning plenty of my stuff and making sure I cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze, that type of stuff.